JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cant speak for the gunsmith but I sealed mine similarly with tung oil inside and out including inside the mounting screw holes. The tung oil has held up well over the last 4 years of hunting weather I just touched it up again for another 4, easy to apply and leaves a beautiful gloss finish or you can buff it to a matte or flat finish.

Gotcha. I used it before, will again. I ask because I think I'm going to use Spar Urethane over it. Debating using a polymer topcoat.

The rifles in question are used carefully, much loved, but neither Winchester 308 is in original or period correct stocks.

The '57' m-88 is in a very nice grade of walnut custom. The m-100 is a '62' in a post '64' factory. Neither is used very much and really only for hunting, mostly the m-100.

Open to thoughts on the Spar Urethane and possibly a polymer topcoat.

The barrel channel and action inletting was sealed with thinned Acra-Glass, along with the endgrain under the butt plate. The surface wood and checkering were sealed with three coats of Permalyn.
This is what you used I am guessing. Midway has it. If so that is what I will use. No topcoat resin needed?

Screenshot_20210521-172110_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last Edited:
Yes, it is. I slather on the firs two or three coats, let it dry and then wet sand, using #320 grit emery wetted with that same finish. Then apply a couple more coats of the Permalyn, let it harden up and again wet sand the top coat until attl the grain and pores are sealed and the top finish is dead flat. Then rub on two more coats to let those harden up. After that, I'll do any checkering required.
It takes some time to do, but it definitely seals the wood very well.

Yes, it is. I slather on the firs two or three coats, let it dry and then wet sand, using #320 grit emery wetted with that same finish. Then apply a couple more coats of the Permalyn, let it harden up and again wet sand the top coat until attl the grain and pores are sealed and the top finish is dead flat. Then rub on two more coats to let those harden up. After that, I'll do any checkering required.
It takes some time to do, but it definitely seals the wood very well.

Thank you sir. I will do the M-100 1st. The 88 looks pretty good.

Wood is beautiful on a hunting rifle and sometimes there are stories behind the wear and tear on them but they are heavy, costs more, and impractical when there is a lighter cheaper more practical option.
Not always! My comparison is limited, but the original wood Ruger stock and the Boyd's replacement are a fair amount lighter than the Hogue with the full length aluminum bedding block. Even the standard pillar bedded Hogue is at least as heavy as the wood for my rifles.
The extra weight is a blessing, as is the super cushy butt pad on a heavy recoiler like the 375 Ruger or a long day at the range.

Not always! My comparison is limited, but the original wood Ruger stock and the Boyd's replacement are a fair amount lighter than the Hogue with the full length aluminum bedding block. Even the standard pillar bedded Hogue is at least as heavy as the wood for my rifles.
The extra weight is a blessing, as is the super cushy butt pad on a heavy recoiler like the 375 Ruger or a long day at the range.
That is a good point. I guess I was speaking from a personal standpoint but yeah with a heavy hitter like that some extra weight would be a blessing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top