JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have noticed over the past several years that most rifles are being offered with synthetic stocks and I myself prefer wooden stocks I am just wondering how many people prefer wooden over synthetic

I have noticed over the past several years that most rifles are being offered with synthetic stocks and I myself prefer wooden stocks I am just wondering how many people prefer wooden over synthetic
Completely purpose dependent for me.
Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Composite, and Laminate all have their place.

My next big rifle purchase is hoped to be a 6.8 Western content.jpg Winchester M70 Supergrade in AAA Maple.

All my hunting guns ( bolt action) are all synthetic for weight and weather. I have carbon fiber, Kevlar and other plastic ones. All great and continue to look great. No worry about scratches or getting wet. My lever guns and a few bolts I have in wood or laminate. I like them all unless cheap wood or plastic.

WOOD! The older the better! Butt-then, I'm not a hunter. I could sure see where serious outdoorsmen hunters wouldn't want nice wood getting soaking wet for days at a time when they were in the field. My guns are more for playing with and not used as serious tools.

WOOD! The older the better! Butt-then, I'm not a hunter. I could sure see where serious outdoorsmen hunters wouldn't want nice wood getting soaking wet for days at a time when they were in the field. My guns are more for playing with and not used as serious tools.
I have all wooden stocks on my rifles and I hunt but I have a rifle that I use in wet conditions and I have a couple of range princess that never see the woods

All my hunting guns ( bolt action) are all synthetic for weight and weather. I have carbon fiber, Kevlar and other plastic ones. All great and continue to look great. No worry about scratches or getting wet. My lever guns and a few bolts I have in wood or laminate. I like them all unless cheap wood or plastic.
It is a labor of love with wooden stocks and I have one rifle for the worst weather conditions

It is a labor of love with wooden stocks and I have one rifle for the worst weather conditions

The original stock on a 1902 Swedish Mauser I have has certainly seen some wet weather and still looks very good. Original finish with nothing but linseed oil. some dents and dings, but no water damage. So yeah, seems to be a personal preference whether or not you hunt with a wood stocked gun.

Wood stocks over synthetic, and I hunt every year with mine in some of the worst weather conditions. I have to maintain it every couple years apply a new coat of protectant to seal it, inside and out. Synthetic stocks are better for these reasons but wood is more attractive. If your willing to maintain wood stocks for hunting then it will outlast your lifetime though.

All my rifles are hunting rifles and all have wood stocks. Nothing against synthetic stocks but really prefer wood. My "newest" rifle is from the early to mid 70's, and most are decades older.

The original stock on a 1902 Swedish Mauser I have has certainly seen some wet weather and still looks very good. Original finish with nothing but linseed oil. some dents and dings, but no water damage. So yeah, seems to be a personal preference whether or not you hunt with a wood stocked gun.
I just have a thing for wooden stocks I personally believe that they look a million times better and they just feel right

The gun I hunted with mostly is a stainless 77MKII. It came in the boat paddle stock that was quickly switched out for a Hogue overmolded. It seemed to make sense because many days I would pour water out of the stock at the end of the day. I liked the looks, too. I had it's twin in a green Hogue that I really liked.
RUGER.jpg P1010175.JPG wet rifle.jpg
But then I got a hankerin for an old '70. It's stock was a bit rough so I found a nicer one.
70 left.jpg Model 70 New wood right.jpg
Ruger came out with a new "Hunter" and I got all drooly looking at the wood stock. Placed an order with Boyd's for my '06. I like it and think it'll stay in the wood.

20201202_201443.jpg
it won't be the first wood stock to get wet and survive.

I like both. Synthetics are mostly more practical, but a good wood or laminate stock sure is pretty, and they are functional as well. One thing I don't find much use for now is the plain, semi-ugly wood stock. If it's gonna be homely I want a good quality synthetic.

It's a tool, just like any other tool. A balance must be struck between utility and aesthetic beauty.

I don't hunt, so the closest thing in my arsenal are kitchen knives. Some, I make with tenderness and care - exotic woods used for the handles like ebony or padauk and held in place with ornate pins. They don't leave the kitchen.

My outdoor camping lineup are much more utilitarian. Walnut, if there's wood at all - otherwise full metal handles or paracord wraps.

I see it as no different with firearms. A lever action with dark wood, dark blue, and a case hardened receiver just looks gooooood. At the same time, I like the full aluminum chassis with the off-the-wall cerakote now seen at PRS matches...and while a black synthetic and stainless steel isn't as much a looker, its no frills utility is incredible.

100 years ago you had a choice of ...wood...or...wood. I'm quite happy with the plethora of choices now and look forward to other composite/synthetic materials that will come into existence.

I have quite a few rifles and some shotguns Near as I can remember I have one Remington 20ga Youth 870 that has a synthetic stock everything else is wood. A couple are laminate.

I do currently have a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter in 30-06 which has the factory sysntetic stock which will be rebarreled to .35 Whelen and restocked with a nice Boyd's Walnut. I have a few Wood stocks that date to 1905 that look pretty dang nice.

It's a tool, just like any other tool. A balance must be struck between utility and aesthetic beauty.

I don't hunt, so the closest thing in my arsenal are kitchen knives. Some, I make with tenderness and care - exotic woods used for the handles like ebony or padauk and held in place with ornate pins. They don't leave the kitchen.

My outdoor camping lineup are much more utilitarian. Walnut, if there's wood at all - otherwise full metal handles or paracord wraps.

I see it as no different with firearms. A lever action with dark wood, dark blue, and a case hardened receiver just looks gooooood. At the same time, I like the full aluminum chassis with the off-the-wall cerakote now seen at PRS matches...and while a black synthetic and stainless steel isn't as much a looker, its no frills utility is incredible.

100 years ago you had a choice of ...wood...or...wood. I'm quite happy with the plethora of choices now and look forward to other composite/synthetic materials that will come into existence.
I agree that everything has a purpose and a place but I am still willing to do the extra work for my wooden stocks

Wood stocks over synthetic, and I hunt every year with mine in some of the worst weather conditions. I have to maintain it every couple years apply a new coat of protectant to seal it, inside and out. Synthetic stocks are better for these reasons but wood is more attractive. If your willing to maintain wood stocks for hunting then it will outlast your lifetime though.
I 100 percent agree with you I don't mind the extra work that goes into maintaining a wooden stock

I have quite a few rifles and some shotguns Near as I can remember I have one Remington 20ga Youth 870 that has a synthetic stock everything else is wood. A couple are laminate.

I do currently have a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter in 30-06 which has the factory sysntetic stock which will be rebarreled to .35 Whelen and restocked with a nice Boyd's Walnut. I have a few Wood stocks that date to 1905 that look pretty dang nice.
I believe that wood is the only way to go but that's just my personal opinion

The gun I hunted with mostly is a stainless 77MKII. It came in the boat paddle stock that was quickly switched out for a Hogue overmolded. It seemed to make sense because many days I would pour water out of the stock at the end of the day. I liked the looks, too. I had it's twin in a green Hogue that I really liked.
View attachment 880210View attachment 880211View attachment 880215
But then I got a hankerin for an old '70. It's stock was a bit rough so I found a nicer one.
View attachment 880213View attachment 880214
Ruger came out with a new "Hunter" and I got all drooly looking at the wood stock. Placed an order with Boyd's for my '06. I like it and think it'll stay in the wood.

View attachment 880222
it won't be the first wood stock to get wet and survive.
You have some fine looking rifles and I am personally a wooden stock man

There is no doubt that wood stocks are more work and need more attention than synthetic but you don't mind when you see the end result

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top