JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm seriously considering another AR build, with heavy emphasis on precision/target shooting. Probably go with 6.5 Grendel, had a bolt Grendel but sold it when I want to a 6.5 Creedmoor. But now the Creedmoor is probably going to go away, reality says I'll like never get to shoot at 1000 yards, so why have a 1K yard rifle? I've already pretty much made up my mind about the upper, but I'm still trying to decide between fixed stock rifle or adjustable carbine extension. Would really appreciate some pros and cons on the different options, thanks.

Dave

So I'm seriously considering another AR build, with heavy emphasis on precision/target shooting. Probably go with 6.5 Grendel, had a bolt Grendel but sold it when I want to a 6.5 Creedmoor. But now the Creedmoor is probably going to go away, reality says I'll like never get to shoot at 1000 yards, so why have a 1K yard rifle? I've already pretty much made up my mind about the upper, but I'm still trying to decide between fixed stock rifle or adjustable carbine extension. Would really appreciate some pros and cons on the different options, thanks.

Dave
Fixed stock is usually go to, maybe a magpul PRS or similar. Can be done with adjustable stocks too, more of a personal decision IMHO.

I went with A2 stocks on my .223 DMR type ARs. Mine are setup with 50 gr ammo loaded for optimal 200 yd accuracy. They shoot 77 SMKs well but I don't get a chance to shoot more than 300 yds.

E8B72439-09C0-4C76-BA46-54C75804ED6D.jpeg

Fixed stock. Less moving parts. You don't want things moving on a precision rifle.

Go with mid or rifle, but stay away from carbine...puts a lot of abuse on the parts
Definitely going with a rifle length gas system, my question was about which stock would be best for my use, adjustable carbine or fixed rifle. I'm leaning heavily toward the Magpul PRS, but my wallet is cringing at the cost. Might have to settle for the Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock instead, at least to start with. Later.

Dave

Definitely going with a rifle length gas system, my question was about which stock would be best for my use, adjustable carbine or fixed rifle. I'm leaning heavily toward the Magpul PRS, but my wallet is cringing at the cost. Might have to settle for the Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock instead, at least to start with. Later.

Dave
I'd go with a simple A2 style stock. What distance are you planning on pushing it out to?

There are adjustable stocks that lock up solid. My favorites are the Rogers Superstock, which is also extremely light, and the Magpul ACS line, I prefer the ACS-L. For fixed with LOP adjustment, look at the Magpul UBR, but that requires a intermediate length RE (included), so you'll need a A5 length buffer and rifle length spring for the AR-15 chamberings.. The PRS Gen 3 is one of the heaviest stocks there is, so keep that in mind if it's a field rifle, but it will take any length RE and appropriate buffers/springs. The PRS Lite is coming out soon (Ha!), which is about half the price of the PRS Gen 3. The Ace ARFX is a good alternative for the standard A2 stock.

Magpul UBR Gen 1 is what the majority of Highpower competition shooters are running. Good solid stock for
a solid cheek weld. I like the ability to shorten the stock. How far do you want to shoot? I think it is interesting
that some shooters think to get long range accuracy you have to use something besides 223/556. The 20 inch
AR-15 "Service Rifle" in 223/556 is capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards and sub MOA. 223/556 quality
components are plentiful and less expensive compared to other calibers.
2WJSNwDC0_vs04eB4gy51utrwI=w834-h625-no?authuser=0.jpg

So after waffling back and forth over the stock, I've finally made up my mind, I'm going adjustable, and most likely the Magpul ACS-L. Had one on my last AR build and really liked it, but the deciding factor was my sister :s0114: . She likes to shoot with me on occasion, and at 5' nothin', a rifle that fits me is too long for her. So my build list looks like this at the moment:

BCA complete upper, 6.5 Grendel, 20" heavy SS barrel
Aero Precision complete lower less stock
Magpul ACS-L stock
Scope to be determined, but likely it'll be the Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50 currently on my Creedmoor

This is the base build, just to get a functional rifle as quickly and inexpensively as possible. I'll certainly add a better trigger once funds allow, and may still go with a "better" stock like the UBR or PRS. @JuglansRegia, I'll check out the Luth-AR, but I know I've looked at other than Magpul in the past and either didn't like the price or the looks. Not really concerned about weight, this will be a target rifle, not a field gun, and I'm pretty much range limited to a max of 400 yards or less. I don't compete, so this is just a range toy purely for my own entertainment. Later, guys, and thanks again for your input.

Dave

Rifle length for sure. I have built a couple precision ar's albeit in 223 wylde. Both heavy 20" barrels. One is a Wilson combat super sniper barrel and the other a wilson barrel. Both rifle gas and are soft shooting and very accurate. I have been using an A2 stock but would like to try a prs.

EBAF0997-D3B0-4F44-A8C2-11CA6392E486.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top