JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

S&W Trigger Locks -- Love Them or Hate Them?

• I love them

• I hate them

• Either is OK

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a S&W .357, most likely a 686 Plus in 3 or 4 inch. I'm seeing lots of posts on Gun Broker, etc. with the "pre-lock" notation. Not knowing the specific history on this, my brief research found this good article on the subject. As suspected, it was a company response to appease the anti-gun crowd. I guess if one was inclined to leave a loaded gun around or an unloaded gun with ammo in plain sight, having the lock does add a back-up level of safety... but that presumes the ding-dong who leaves loaded guns around remembers to use the trigger lock.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/smith-and-wesson-internal-lock/

What is your opinion on trigger locks? Have you avoided purchase of S&W revolvers that have them? Aside from the aesthetics and any possible malfunction they might introduce (which sounds like a non-issue?), not sure it would drive what gun I buy, but curious what others think. (Please see my thread in Handgun forum -- soliciting advice on which model...help me spend my money :D).

I didn't vote because I can't say I hate them, but I'd prefer a gun to not have one. Ruger single actions have one of the best. If you want to be able to activate it, you either need to remove the grips or drill a hole in one of the grip panels. At least I didn't have to look at a key hole.

I think trigger locks are stupid.

Ruger removed the LCR's internal lock in early 2014 if that says anything. I would prefer not to own a pistol with one even though the chance of it inadvertently activating are probably very remote. Just one more thing to go wrong.

Keith

THEY SUCK !!!!!!
IVE SEEN ONE FAIL ON A SMITH 460 RENDERING THE GUN USELESS.. Smith was quick to fix the issue,but my buddie sold it and bought a ruger alaskan,as it was his primary woods carry and he didn't trust it anymore :(
I haven't had any issues on my governor,but that is the only revolver I have a lock on cause I didn't have a choice.

I have intentionally not purchased a S&W with a lock, much because the deal wasn't perfect but the lock didn't help the sale either! I would buy a lockable S&W in the right deal but I won't carry one!

I had a smith 642 with no lock and it was a dream, sold it to someone who needed it more than me, they love it. Later on in life bought an 642 with lock, I didn't like it one bit, I think that the trigger pull was much harder and I have no use for locks. Sold it and bought an old model 66 in .357 and love that one, never want to sell it, plan on keeping it till I am no longer around.

That was my experience, and I learned by it, others may have different results.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I don't know, I don't have any revolvers with them.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

A little off topic but about revolver locks: as a working CA LEO in the '70s got into 2 knock-down, drag out, roll around on the sidewalk fights where my SW 6" M19 was the object of takeaway attempts. One, with a Hoyt break front, was stopped with a generous dose of Kel-o-caine; the other, where the M19 was in a clam shell, ceased when I accessed my back-up and thrust it sharply under the perpetrator's chin with my pronouncement to him that "it's over!".

These events prompted me to have a LASD armorer install a safety activated by the cylinder release that oriented much like a 1911 safety: up/on, down/off. When the agency went to SW39/59 series of semis I still appreciated the mag disconnect feature even through the evolutions of double and triple retention holster systems.

All my SW revolvers (4) are 'pre-lock', including my duty M19, and though both my kids (ages 16 and 12) have been trained I don't leave loaded firearms openly laying around.

Love, hate I consider the two primary emotions behund all other emotions. Pretty powerful I'm thinking. I love my girlfriend, my kids, my grandkids, my service dog, but things ? I cannot say I love things, not even beer. I like/dislike things, but love. Pretty strong emotion. I have the lock on my S&W revolvers. I am okay with it. Actually it offers another level of safety if I am lazy and leave a revolver on my bench and the grand kids drop by for an unexpected visit. I don't get parnoid when I find I suffered a senior moment and left the 686 on the bench. So, I'd probably prefer to have the lock in my correct phase in my life, but would not miss it if my revolvers did not have one.

The clam shell style can be quickly removed with a small penknife. You can release the ratchet pawl with any small tools slipped between the trigger guard and the lock. I figured this out when I was 12.

Better stick with the ones that lock through the barrel or through the frame or better yet, a ready access box.

I have revolvers with and without the internal lock.

I remove the lock and place a flush plug in the hole. Looks just fine and I don't have to worry about inadvertent locking.

When S&W first put them on I, like many others, was put off. Now I don't care.

I have a 642 with a lock that has been back to Cylinder and Slide for 'the works'. It's never been a problem, I've almost forgotten it's there. My Taurus .357 is the same; yes it has a lock, no it's never been a problem. Would I prefer wheel guns without the lock, sure. Am I concerned about the locks I have....no.

Revolvers aren't supposed to have locks!

While it is cliche like... I have guns without safeties and trigger locks for a reason (except a few that there is nothing I can do about)...

Otherwise this is the second most important thing behind only what's between your ears:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Worst thing ever! I'm not going to bash MFG's here..BUT good grief. I have had revolvers all of a sudden stop working...Yep lock engaged itself.

I had one just last week, a very common new carry gun. The none lock version. Guess what, the polymer frame didn't have the hole in it for the lock....But the internals still had the lock mechanism in place! Can you guess what this CCW pistol decided to do while being fired? It locked itself up tight....I mean like someone engaged the internal lock.....
So disappointed to see that! o_O

You know what's really sweet are those cross-bolt "safeties" on single action revolvers and lever guns. yea!
I fear S&W is going to go out of business soon and catering to California is stoopit.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews