Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Resizing a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 44

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by aknomad, Jan 14, 2013.

1. aknomad

aknomad Beaverton Member

Anyone know how big of a job it would be to resize the barrel length of a Ruger NM Super Blackhawk in 44mag from a 7 1/2" to a 5"? Any ever had something like that done?

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

hack saw recrown and refit the front sight how "big of job" it is would depend on experiance and equipment.

3. aknomad

aknomad Beaverton Member

When you say "refit the front sight" do you mean drill and tap or re-silver solder? I've heard that the 44 mag barrel is tough to drill and tap due to the thickness of the barrel (being thin).

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

It would be a job. Best way would be to pull the barrel and crown it in a lathe, then re-silver solder the front sight on. Need a good amount of equipment to do it. You could try the hacksaw and hand crown method (not my preference, but your gun, your choice), but you would still need to have the front sight reattached. Easiest to just take it to a gunsmith and have the job done. My $.02

5. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Aknomad,
    Why not just trade for what you want. Or sell and go buy what you want?

Tony Portland, Oregon Area

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Great idea net,but most tend to go TO the 5" and AWAY from the 7 1/2" barrels.
    Money difference,since sometimes the 7 1/2s are cheaper than the 5" may be the same to cut the barrel.
    Me? I'd cut it and figure out the sights,or probably have the sight done at the 'smith's