JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For tax purposes you are generally considered a resident of the State you spent the majority of days living in for the tax year.

For FFL transfer purposes should you list the address that you are living in at the time of the transfer regardless of how long you have lived in the State?

For tax purposes you are generally considered a resident of the State you spent the majority of days living in for the tax year.

For FFL transfer purposes should you list the address that you are living in at the time of the transfer regardless of how long you have lived in the State?
That's not entirely accurate. Residency status is state specific. For tax purposes, determining where and how to file rules can depend on where you spend your time, but that's independent of your actual state of residence for legal purposes.... which falls under different criteria.

FFL transfer would depend on your legally established state of residence... not where you are currently, where you spend your time or under which state or status you file your taxes under. The most common proof of residency is which state your DL (or state ID) is issued under. Different states have different residency requirements to issue a state ID, or not, though.

Last Edited:
That's not entirely accurate. Residency status is state specific. For tax purposes, determining where and how to file rules can depend on where you spend your time, but that's independent of your actual state of residence for legal purposes.... which falls under different criteria.

FFL transfer would depend on your legally established state of residence... not where you are currently or under which state or status you file your taxes under.
I was wondering if I spent time living in two different States throughout the year, if I could purchase firearms in each State. It looks like I could:

I was wondering if I spent time living in two different States throughout the year, if I could purchase firearms in each State. It looks like I could:

Yup. It depends on the state, but in either case, you must provide proof of residency status, determined by that state, to have legal status within that state for FFL purposes. It's not always a state issued DL, but that is the most common. Some states will issue you a state ID card, without having to surrender your DL issued by another state, but that's rare. There are other proofs of residency though, but again... it depends on which state you are talking about.

So... it's possible, but not a given and it's more rare than common.

Where it IS possible, be aware that it can be a process and may or may not be accepted by every FFL. More by policy than "law". IE., An FFL might only accept limited forms of ID.

I will say though that's it's not all that uncommon. RV folk deal with it all the time. Maintaining "residency" in a friendly state for legal purposes (taxes, insuance, etc), but might spend less than one overnight trip in that particular state within years.... and still maintain "residency" status in another state where they spend a good chunk of the year and make firearm purchase during the particular block of time they are there.

Some states are extremely friendly that way while others are not at all. FWIW, Oregon (and other western states) are not at all that friendly... in that regard.

I'm not sure about Idaho, though.

On edit: Doesn't look like it. Idaho is pretty strict on "residency" status. Although, you could establish Idaho residency and residency status in another state that "does" allow it.

Last Edited:
For an example . . . if your 'state of residence' (i.e. whose driver's license you carry, or the state you vote in) is California, you most probably will not be able to purchase firearms, or at least 'certain firearms' while at your summer home in Oregon, despite have a residence here.

So many questions......ouch, my head hurts.
Time for a music break.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....IMHO, that song ain't Racist.
So STOP whining about the songs that I find to be ARTISTIC.

An example of the ART.
Mind you that ICE-T makes a lot of $$$$$$$ playing cops in the Movies and on TV.

Last Edited:
Instructions on Form 4473 for Section A Question 2 are very clear.
I don't think it's all that clear as there can be different definitions as to where your residence is. A guy at Cabela's told me it was were you lay your head down at night.

If you are residing in multiple States at different times of the year which one do you call your residence?

ATF Form 4473

Resized_20221102_114322.jpeg

I don't think it's all that clear as there can be different definitions as to where your residence is. A guy at Cabela's told me it was were you lay your head down at night.

If you are residing in multiple States at different times of the year which one do you call your residence?
The guy at Cabela's probably knows all. :s0140:

"Domicile" and "resident" are 2 different things. "Officially" you can have only one residence as dictated by what state you have on your DL or state ID card. It is illegal to hold more than one state issued ID...or "residency status".

That said, some states allow other forms of proof of residency, but they are few and may or may not be acceptable for an FFL transfer.

The most common, although not exclusive, time a person "may" have "residency" status in 2 different states for FFL purposes would be government or military personnel... where you may have residency in your home civilian state, but your current duty station will also qualify you as having residency status in another state with your federal ID.

So... is it possible, yes... but for most practical purposes and your average Joe/Jane.... it's extremely rare and not something you can just do without a specific set of circumstances, planning and effort.

This settles it and it means the Cabela's guy was right. Thanks.
I would argue he was completely wrong. Where you lay your head at night has no bearing on which state is your legal state of residence. Using an address acceptable for residency status does not make you a "resident" of that state in and of itself.

It simply meets one of the residency requirments. IE., most states won't allow you to use a PO box to apply for residency status.

The guy at Cabela's probably knows all. :s0140:

"Domicile" and "resident" are 2 different things. "Officially" you can have only one residence as dictated by what state you have on your DL or state ID card. It is illegal to hold more than one state issued ID...or "residency status".

That said, some states allow other forms of proof of residency, but they are few and may or may not be acceptable for an FFL transfer.

The most common, although not exclusive, time a person "may" have "residency" status in 2 different states for FFL purposes would be government or military personnel... where you may have residency in your home civilian state, but your current duty station will also qualify you as having residency status in another state with your federal ID.

So... is it possible, yes... but for most practical purposes and your average Joe/Jane.... it's extremely rare and not something you can just do without a specific set of circumstances, planning and effort.
If you read the instructions provided by @tdb59 it provides the answer. If I keep my home here and get a 2nd home in Idaho then I should list whatever home I am staying at when purchasing a firearm. Convincing the FFL to sell it to me might be another problem. But as you eluded to earlier that would be a policy issue with the FFL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top