JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seen several people lately that either 1) aren't supporting members and are heavily using the classifieds section or 2) are brand new members that have ONLY used the classifieds section.

I know last year we had a discussion about minimum post requirements before you could create a thread in classifieds and people were concerned about the forum being flooded with junk posts.

Others suggested being a supporting member and I don't honestly remember what the disagreement with that was. I think it had something to do with legal stuff about it no longer being a donation.

I'm all for this being a community and able to exchange items. I'll totally admit I let my supporting membership lapse and I have yet to get some cash to Joe (I won't use paypal), but I also rarely post in the classifieds section and if I wanted to I'd have a motivation to get a bronze account at minimum. My issue comes with people not being part of the community and only using the site as an eCommerce tool.

Thoughts?

Last Edited:
I've always been surprised, and a bit disappointed, by this. There are people here who have thousands of dollars in sales over the years and haven't contributed once. It may be because I know what it takes to run a site like this, but if I find a site useful, even if I just had a few questions answered, I try to donate a few bucks.

I imagine a good portion of people don't know that the site runs on donations. Or maybe they're the type of person who tips a dollar on a $20 check. Or maybe they're going through some really rough times and just had to liquidate grandpa's collection.

I guarantee if I were in this for the money some sort of expansive classified pay system would be the first thing I looked at, but I didn't start this for that reason. Rather than putting up barriers, I'm going to keep working harder to improve things around here, increasing our value to gun owners. My hope is that this will lead to more donations.

We're really fortunate to have a great core group of guys here who do contribute, as well as some fantastic vendors :s0090:

Joe, there will always be folks who will jump the turnstiles to get a free ride.
I'm always leery of one post want to sell ads.
By the way, what are the "Points" for that I've accumulated on this site?

Joe, there will always be folks who will jump the turnstiles to get a free ride.
I'm always leery of one post want to sell ads.
By the way, what are the "Points" for that I've accumulated on this site?

Yeah, that's what I figure.

The trophy points are awarded when members complete an action, such as posting a certain number of messages. If you click your username, then click on the point value it'll bring up the list of the trophies you've been awarded. Those trophies come default with the software; I haven't decided whether to implement the system or disable it :D

Possibly one option might be a tiered level of available classified posts... A moocher like myself might be allowed only one classified active at a time with a 7 day (or more) bump period. 5 for a bronze with a shorter bump period, and so on till somebody gives you so much money they're unlimited. B-)

elsie

I was a member of a forum that had two for sale sections. One for everyone and everything. Than a second for those that met a certain post requirement. It seemed to be a good balance.

Take chances with first post sellers in one area.

Have the second safer trusted area for active users.

Just my thoughts.

One question I haven't seen answered on here, How do you make a contribution? And in plain English please, for those of us who are cattle ranchers, not computer geeks.

Hey Ironmonster, I found it, it's under the 3 horizontal lines to the right of the "forum" header, like I said before I needed the computer illiterate version of "how do you donate" Thanks for the help I WILL be sending a donation immediately. Thanks again

Much appreciated!

Those three lines are known as a 'hamburger' menu. When the screen size of a device or computer isn't large enough to display everything it's collapsed into one of those menu's, rather than displayed in full size.

Hey Ironmonster, I found it, it's under the 3 horizontal lines to the right of the "forum" header, like I said before I needed the computer illiterate version of "how do you donate" Thanks for the help I WILL be sending a donation immediately. Thanks again

Don't worry, you're not the only "Computer Stoopid" person here. I can be looking right at something on the board and not see it!

Welcome to Northwestfirearms.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews