JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning a trip East Spokane area. Flying Alaska. Have my hard side rifle case w/ padlocks.
Questions::
The info from TSA seems to allow multiple firearms in one case. So 1rifle 2 handguns no problem.
Unclear is whether it not ammo can be in the same case? It must it be in another locked hard side case?

Anyone have any real life experience?

TYIA
Bo

Confirm with your airlines (Alaska is one of the better ones to fly on) but I've done 200+ flights now with the ammo IN the case and a dozen with the ammo in the suitcase where my handgun box was located in another locked case. The only challenge I see is that if you put ammo in a separate suitcase (a hard case would be good but I have had ammo inside a suitcase and inside another secondary "range bag" without any issue at all...including going through the we-take-everything-out-of-your-bag location of Phoenix) it would not be tagged/noted as having a firearm but would have ammo. With Alaska, this may not be an issue at all.

Multiple firearms in one case are not a problem.

Most airlines limit ammo weight at 11 pounds but for SOME Alaska Air flights, they used to have a higher limit. Be careful, as it was only certain flights and not sure if they still have a higher limit. (IIRC it was based on flight numbers to see if the flight was operated by Alaska Airlines or one of their Alaska-branded planes run by another company).

Likely more information than you wanted but hope that helps. And welcome to the forums!

I'm not up on Washington law these days for those without a carry permit, but if Washington has anything that says your ammo and guns must be separate, then don't put ammo in the case.

It sounds like you've got padlocks, which ensures TSA went be in the cases without you.

The Info WillametteWill gave has been my experience as well. I have flown with multiple firearms in the same case, with Ammo for both in that same case. Ammo just has to be stored in a container that is made of plastic, cardboard etc and made to carry ammunition, can't be loose. Like he said check with the airline, but that's been my experience.

The Info WillametteWill gave has been my experience as well. I have flown with multiple firearms in the same case, with Ammo for both in that same case. Ammo just has to be stored in a container that is made of plastic, cardboard etc and made to carry ammunition, can't be loose. Like he said check with the airline, but that's been my experience.
Some states, Hawaii for example, forbid ammo in the same location.

No loaded magazines, but ammo can be in the same large hard case. Follow Alaska on-line regulations as to shipping firearms in baggage. Be prepared to open the case at the ticket counter. There is a form to fill out. You get a copy and the other goes in the case. Do not use TSA padlocks. You are the only person to have the keys. That is the rule, so don't worry about that. Expect to hve to wait around for 10 minutes in the area just in case they want to open your case.
Take a copy of the AA rules with you and highlight certain parts, just in case the agent is new and gets 'the vapors' looking at a terrible weapon of war! Most of them are really nice about it tho. Do it once and the second time is much easier.

Update- do not carry any firearm parts in your carry-on. No magazines, rifle bolt, scope or anything. You don't have it they can't complain.

Last Edited:
Do not use TSA padlocks. You are the only person to have the keys. That is the rule, so don't worry about that.
I agree not to use TSA locks, but some people do. Technically you can;

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."
Current TSA website info.

Some folks I know don't want to be bothered for their keys. I completely agree with you @Lazyfaire .
I usually use chamber flags too.
I actually use one of the 500 cable locks most of us have lying around. One extra step so my gun is less likely to be used to shoot up an airport.

Thank you all. Would HD zip-ties work as trigger locks in the locked case transport scenario?

Bo
Have never heard that trigger locks are required by the TSA or an airline. But if they were to be required I am sure that zip ties would not be acceptable. 2 padlocks minimum per gun case

As far as the use of TSA locks, I have never thought that only the TSA has keys. Thieves would own their own sets of keys. Therefore, I only use TSA locks on my suitcase/bags, never my gun cases.

Ammo can be in the case but they are generally concerned with ammo rolling around freely. Transporting ammo in the cardboard ammo box is fine. Loaded magazines is also ok in theory but they usually want something that goes around the entire magazine to prevent rounds from coming loose and rolling around. Transporting ammo in the ammo box seems to be the easiest way.

Note that some airlines are zip-tying luggage that contain firearms. If your intention is to arm up as soon as you get to the other end, you'll want to have a plan to deal with the zip ties. To that end, EMT shears are legal to carry on...and cheap in case you have to surrender them because you get a TSA agent who doesn't know their own rules.

Note that on the other end your luggage will likely be at the manned baggage counter. But it could be on the regular carousel. So check both places before you freak out.

Airports generally have one of two processes when you check your bag. Some will take your bag at the counter and place it on the conveyor like normal and away it goes. The bag may or may not be checked by TSA in back. If your airport does it this way you will want to wait 15-20 minutes before you go through security in case they call you back to unlock your case.

Other airports will have you take your back to a special TSA inspection station and they'll check your bag with you standing there. If your airport does it this way, you can then go through security immediately. You should allow for extra time in case your airport does it the first way. This includes your return trip as that airport may have a different process. FYI...Last time I went through SeaTac there was a special TSA inspection station for firearms...but that was a few years ago.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews