JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I might be starting to like this guy..

Thank you for your e-mail pertaining to HB 3200. I would like to set the record straight. HB 3200 was proposed in the House by Rep. Mitch Greenlick and I do not support it. As I have previously stated, if an assault weapons ban or high capacity magazine ban is to move forward this year, I believe it should be addressed in Congress. Accordingly, I do not plan on taking up any such legislation this session. I also understand that Chair Jeff Barker does not plan on hearing HB 3200 in the House Judiciary Committee. So it should be dead!
I am a supporter of both the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution. As a gun owner for over 40 years (I bought my first gun when I was 15 years old), I believe an individual has the right to use a firearm to for self-defense and the defense of others. At the same time, I believe Congress and the states have the authority to establish reasonable regulations on firearms.
Thank you for your views on this issue. I look forward to an open discussion on your concerns and greatly value your input when making these kinds of decisions.
Floyd Prozanski
Senate Judiciary Chair

It's great that Senator Prozanski responded, however, there are some issues that cause me to think twice about his claim to be a 2A supporter. His letter does have the comment "..At the same time, I believe Congress and the states have the authority to establish reasonable regulations on firearms...". That should be a danger sign to you.

Take a look at the bills he has just introduced: SB 796 <broken link removed> , calls for live fire testing to qualify for your CHL with no other live fire testing accepted. Also has the effect of making all current Oregon CHL's invalid until holders submit new applications with live fire test results. You think getting a CHL takes a long time now, wait until this goes into effect.

SB 699, introduced by his committee, bans carry in the Capitol with CHL and also bans CHL carry in ANY Public Body. <broken link removed>

SB 700, again introduced by his committee, calls for universal background checks. <broken link removed>

He's not necessarily on our side.

The democrats are going full bore against our gun rights and you can thank yourselves for voteing for them. Here is just one more example of what is comming because you voted democrat.

"Florida legislator wants anyone trying to buy ammunition to complete an anger management program first, in what critics say is the latest example of local lawmakers reaching for constitutionally-dubious solutions to the problem of gun violence.

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years."

Who do you think is going to have to pay for anger management courses?

He's no Ginny Burdick, but he's not quite as much of a friend to gun owners as he believes himself to be. Don't get your hopes up.

Very true. The last couple of years, he was the target of a lot of attention from the OFF and for good reason.

Claiming you're pro-gun in an email and saying you've owned guns for a long time doesn't mean you're a friend of gun owners. I suspect some dead legislation comes back from his committee.

In another thread Senator Prozanski appeared to be quoted as saying that the State incurred considerable expense for security for the 2A rally's this year, including calling out the Salem SWAT team. Last weekend I had a chance to talk to a Salem police officer who gave me accurate information on this issue.

Apparently someone from the legislature requested stepped-up security for the January rally. This included extra State Police officers and a request to the Salem police to have available some elements of the SWAT team, but in no way was there a "SWAT team" mobilized.

As best I can determine, when the second rally was held in February we had established our trustworthiness and no extra security (State Police or local LE) was mobilized. At the second rally I spoke with several State Police officers, both outside the Capitol building and inside. None of them had experienced anything but positive experiences with the participants, and every one of them commented on how well-behaved we were. They also complimented us for leaving the grounds cleaner than any other group!

I believe that one of his constituents should point this out to Senator Prozanski and try to get him to concede that the 2A protesters are orderly, law-abiding citizens. I would do it but I don't live anywhere near his district.

I believe that one of his constituents should point this out to Senator Prozanski and try to get him to concede that the 2A protesters are orderly, law-abiding citizens. I would do it but I don't live anywhere near his district.

Since Senator Prozanski is Chair of the Judiciary Committee, his responsibility goes beyod his constituency. From that viewpoint, I believe he should accept letters from anyone in the state.

I got the same "I would like to set the record straight" letter. He's a weasel IMHO and needs to be reminded with every new bill proposed that at this time they've lost credibility on this issue and if he assists in any way in passing any anti-gun law we will assist him out of office. I've been using phrases like "we are waking up and getting organized!" or "gun owners on every political side are getting organized!" Even though I'm right of center I hint that I'm a lib. These tactics might make them listen I hope.

"As a gun owner for over 40 years (I bought my first gun when I was 15 years old), I believe an individual has the right to use a firearm to for self-defense and the defense of others."

Something not right in that sentence. Were minors allowed to purchace firearms back in 1973 or is he speaking of his Red Rider BB gun?

Yeah I got the same letter. Unfortunately the letter I wrote him was specifically about SB 347.

Here's the response I sent him:

Senator Prozanski,

Thanks for the response on HB 3200. I never wrote you about HB 3200 since I knew it was dead but I did write you about SB 347. Obviously your busy schedule precludes you from actually reading correspondence from your constituents. I'll send you another copy of the letter I wrote so you can ignore it again.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews