JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any issue with using rifles slugs in a Remington Supermag? Standard barrel with modified choke.

I have an antlerless deer hunt at Umatilla National Wildlife Refuge and want/required to use my 12 gauge.

Does anyone have any experience hunting deer with buckshot? Reasonable range?

I would appreciate e everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

When growing up ...all the local hunting areas for deer and bear were for Archery , Muzzle loading rifle or Shotgun.
While I have used buck shot with excellent results , for me at least , while in the Army...I can't say that I was super impressed with it on deer.
I have had better luck with slugs from my 20 gauge.

I grew hunting deer and bear with my 1962 Wingmaster , 20 gauge and a modified choke.
Just like anything lots of practice...and you need to figure out what load works the best for how you shoot.

If I had to use a shotgun today to hunt deer...
I think I'd get a dedicated slug barrel* and good set of iron sights or a low powered scope.
Andy

*Edit to add :
Rifled or smooth bore...I lean towards smooth bore...I like the idea of a multi use barrel...
And where I hunt..a far shot is around 100 yards.

Last Edited:
I use buckshot on a regular basis for coyotes and it works really well. I prefer #4 buck, I can say I have never deer hunted with it. If your local I have some 00 buck made by heavy shot you can have to test its pattern

I use buckshot on a regular basis for coyotes and it works really well. I prefer #4 buck, I can say I have never deer hunted with it. If your local I have some 00 buck made by heavy shot you can have to test its pattern
I'm in Portland.

For my smoothbore shotgun it did. One buck I shot a mutiple times about 75 yards I had non-rifled slugs, I thought I saw a few of the slugs fly like an airsoft pellet. Straight then curve off.
A friend gave me a rifled slug and hit where I aimed granted it was 50 or so yards.
Bought a rifled barrel and with sabots at 100 yards have 3 inch grouping.

You could also put a rifled "choke" in place of your modified choke on your smoothbore and use non-rifled slugs/sabots, etc. I've never hunted with shotgun slugs (rifled or otherwise), but I seem to recall that you don't want to use rifled slugs in a rifled shotgun barrel.

You could also put a rifled "choke" in place of your modified choke on your smoothbore and use non-rifled slugs/sabots, etc. I've never hunted with shotgun slugs (rifled or otherwise), but I seem to recall that you don't want to use rifled slugs in a rifled shotgun barrel.
That's what I found as well. Smooth bore can shoot anything but a rifled slug is better. Rifled barrel needs a non-rifled slug/sabot.

I have not heard of the rifled choke. I will check that out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top