JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Modern slugs fit thru a full choke just fine. Now wither a cylinder, modified, of full choke will give you better accuracy with your slugs, that's a question you'll have to experiment and discover yourself.

H

Here is two slugs plus some number 4 buck I shot thru a full choke. No damage to the shotgun at all.

27pellno4fulbren.jpg

Most ammunition manufacturers will tell you to use an improved cylinder or cylinder choke when shooting rifled slugs, and a rifled IC choke tube or fully rifled barrel when shooting sabot slugs. Each gun is different, test it out like HALMBARTE suggested, your gun will tell you what it likes.

Thanks for asking this. I have only shot rifled slugs through a straight "home defense" barrel, but I had read that they should be okay through a choked barrel. Now I need to compare accuracy. I have a rifled barrel for hunting with sabots, but rifled slugs through a bird barrel offer more options (the option to also use shot), and I have several boxes of rifled slugs to play with.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews