JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Picked Up a new toy the other day. It's a Remington Collector Series M24 with deployment kit. Has a GI Ultra M3 10x Optics, Harris Bi-Pod, GI leather sling and deployment kit in Pelican Case. It is all used USGI except the barrel (marked M24 & 7.62 NATO) & action. It has not been fired since it was bought from the dealer. I usually shoot my Steyr SSG69 P1 Sniper Rifle at the range. The Remmy is a heavy beast. I wouldn't want to pack it and all my gear in the extreme heat our kids are working in; no weaklings need apply.

Warfighting is not for the weak, to say the least. ;)

Lots of Savage fans.........I am not one. I was selling guns in the late 60's to put my way through Photography school. They were just cheep junk compared with the marginally more expensive Remington and Winchester Bolt rifles. It was before any one else was building Left hand rifles (I guess Weatherby was too) so, I was very disappointed with the sheet metal trigger guards, terrible triggers, cheep wood and general poor quality. I was never so poor that I had to buy that cheep a rifle. I know the modern rifles are supposed to have good triggers and accuracy....but, again, I can afford a better rifle. I own two Savages, one M99 made in 1923 that is magnificent and a M2400 combination gun made by Valmet in Sweden.

Lots of Savage fans.........I am not one. I was selling guns in the late 60's to put my way through Photography school. They were just cheep junk compared with the marginally more expensive Remington and Winchester Bolt rifles. It was before any one else was building Left hand rifles (I guess Weatherby was too) so, I was very disappointed with the sheet metal trigger guards, terrible triggers, cheep wood and general poor quality. I was never so poor that I had to buy that cheep a rifle. I know the modern rifles are supposed to have good triggers and accuracy....but, again, I can afford a better rifle. I own two Savages, one M99 made in 1923 that is magnificent and a M2400 combination gun made by Valmet in Sweden.
I didn't buy it because I i heard some things about Savage but I have heard good things about them recently .but I just thought I would throw it out there .left hand Guns are hard to find .well they cost more .so to speak

I didn't buy it because I i heard some things about Savage but I have heard good things about them recently .but I just thought I would throw it out there .left hand Guns are hard to find .well they cost more .so to speak
To me.......I would find a left hand Sako. They are so perfect in all ways, if they were building left hand rifles 30 years ago, I wouldn't own so many rifles today. I bought one for my wife in the late 70's and other than the bolt being on the wrong side......it was perfection for a factory built rifle. There are several for sale on Gunsinternational right now. The next might be a Tika, incredible smooth inexpensive rifles.

Funny, I was just going through my safe and there in the very back was my M-40 the pre runner to the M-24! Ours were shipped to our armory as a action and bolt and were assembled to specs depending on the individual shooter who would be issued it. They were basically a 40X in every aspect and were all long actions to accommodate .308, .30/06 or .300 win mag! My rifle was purchased by me directly from Remingtons Custom Shop and built to the exact same specs as the one I was issued for a few months! We also had the earlier M-70 and much later a series of M-21s to use! That M-40 was my all time favorite and the one I was best with! We also got a hand full of over size 40X that were used to build the then new .338 Laupa Magnum, for which we had to save every piece of brass to be reloaded! I sure do wish I could have gotten my hands on any one of those rifles, but am so glad I was able to order the twin and basically have it built in the same armory by the same smiths who built my issue rifle! I sadly never got to handle or shoot the newer M-24s, by the tike they came along, we were using the M-21s and wouldn't give them up for any thing!
That's a very fine rifle O.P. go and shoot the hell out of it, like burn a barrel or three and enjoy a rare piece of American Mil history!

To me.......I would find a left hand Sako. They are so perfect in all ways, if they were building left hand rifles 30 years ago, I wouldn't own so many rifles today. I bought one for my wife in the late 70's and other than the bolt being on the wrong side......it was perfection for a factory built rifle. There are several for sale on Gunsinternational right now. The next might be a Tika, incredible smooth inexpensive rifles.
So my buddy in South Carolina shows me a gun he got . when I was down South last year.the guy he got it from owed him some money.but was having a hard time.so he gave him the gun.
It was a SAKO IN 30.06 LOL. I asked him how much did he owe you he said 500 bucks.lol
I told him don't worry about the money you got the better deal.mmmmmm lol

SAKO makes the legendary TRG series of precision long range rifles, arguably the all around best of that type of tool, with Accuracy International being a tough to beat second, it all comes down to the shooter, not the rifle when you play at that level! I have a TRG and I also have a SSG, both are exceptional rifles, right up there with my M-40, all will do the job quite well! :)

Yep his son has killed a few deer with that Rifle. Sense I was there last year .lol in South Carolina a resident gets like 5 deer tags a year .
I went to Walmart with his son and bought him two boxes of 30.06 lol and said .GO GET EMM .LOL

And they can bait them .
His uncle has a deer stand with a feeder 75 yards away in the back yard .lol FISH IN A BARREL

The other uncle told me his only problem is .
He has to decide if he is going to shoot from the Kitchen window .or the bathroom window .LOL TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLD .down south

They just bring them to my friends house in a ICE CHEST .AND WE CUT THEM UP LOL my friend Bobby hacking up a deer on the drive way IMAG0578.jpg IMAG0579.jpg

we were using the M-21s and wouldn't give them up for any thing!

Too true...

As much as I liked my M24...I "worked " my M21 more and liked it better for the job at hand...
Less movement on my part when shooting multiple targets....A moving foxhole attracts the eye as the old saying goes.....
Andy

We tried to get what they call the M-110 these days, but were told Negative quite forcefully, instead we got those M-21's and were happy with them! We worked them hard, much harder then a bolt action could ever keep up, thank God for that, I wouldn't be here if not for the lightning quick shooting of that -21!

It means he has a B4 ASI, and is a SOTIC graduate
not always. on the army side of the house "Sniper" is just a position that the kid filling it may or may not ever go to the official school in benning or attend the NG MTT from the guys at Roberts. B4 ASI and SOTIC Lvl 1/2 are two different animals.
as for the 24s all I have ever seen is LA receivers. I actually saw some of the 10th mtn ones that were converted to 300wm like the original concept.

@Ura-Ki the crazyhorse M21s we got as our 24s went down saved my butt in Tal-Afar more than once. you just couldn't throw a bolt fast enough in an urban environment and the 110 even suppressed were terrible back then. huge POA/POI shifts between non suppressed and running suppressed. glad they eventually got it worked out.

not always. on the army side of the house "Sniper" is just a position that the kid filling it may or may not ever go to the official school in benning or attend the NG MTT from the guys at Roberts. B4 ASI and SOTIC Lvl 1/2 are two different animals.
as for the 24s all I have ever seen is LA receivers. I actually saw some of the 10th mtn ones that were converted to 300wm like the original concept.

@Ura-Ki the crazyhorse M21s we got as our 24s went down saved my butt in Tal-Afar more than once. you just couldn't throw a bolt fast enough in an urban environment and the 110 even suppressed were terrible back then. huge POA/POI shifts between non suppressed and running suppressed. glad they eventually got it worked out.
I should have clarified that I was referring to what that meant during my time in service. A lot of the conditions/equipment you reference did not exist when Reagan and Bush 1 were in office

Status