JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm only a little bit experienced but here's my suggestions:

Get your calipers out and check your (OAL) over all lengths and dimensions.

If your having a hard time closing the bolt with quality factory ammo too then you need to check your headspace.

sounds like the crimp is too much (swelling neck) or ovarall length is too much. Are you using a factory crimp die or the standard seating/crimp die? The factory crimp dies can also cause the neck to swell if set too low.

Are you using a full length resizing die or a neck sizing die? If your just neck sizing it try a full length resizing die. That should resize the case to factory specs. A pic would also help. What caliber is it an what make and model gun?

It's and RCBS die. No factory amo feeds fine. Case length and OAL are money. How many times can you shoot the brass? I've cycled it at least 5 times. It's Nosler and heavy I love it. I'm not running hot loads either so I'm not even getting the necks growing longer and I haven't had to even really trim them.
.308 GA Precision and it is a full length die I'm using

9 times out of 10 the case is just a little to long, try timming a little off. Some where between min. & max length, a few thousenths can make or break the prosses.:s0155:

It sounds like it could be a headspace issue. You can get a cartridge headspace gage for 17-30 dollars from midway depending on what brand. This will tell you whether your cases fall within specs for headspace, if not they will either be too loose in the chamber (which can be dangerous), or too tight which can make it difficult or impossible to close the bolt.

All the above info could be correct and solve the problem. That being said, I have 2 case gages for my 7mm-08 and the reman ammo fits in perfectly, drops out smoothly and there appears to be no burrs.. Same problem as the post states, bolt won't close.
After many attempts to alter the ammo, took the rifle to a gunsmith, and he had the factory ammo and my loads.. factory works, fine, mine NO-go.. thus, the headspace and chamber fresh from the factory is extremely tight.. solved problem used a chamber reamer, cleaned out .. .002 and all is now just great.. rifle shoots one hole at 100yrd.

Might be the answer, but again .. just what I had to do.

Take a resized empty cartridge, open chamber, point muzzle down or set it on the carpet or a rag then the empty casing should drop into the chamber with out pushing on it. If it does not drop in, go ahead and chamber the empty cartridge and look for marks on case after removing. If the case does drop in and appears to be ok, build a dummy round to spec's. Bullet and casing only, no primer or powder and test it. Visually look for any markings on the case and bullet. If its a headspace or your driving the bullet into the lands, it will leave marks on the case or bullet.

One other thing verify the chamber is clean. I have seen some rusty chambers and chambers full of crud that can cause your situation.

Good Luck

One more thing, Ghost Rider's suggestion is one of the first to do cause you can also see where the binding is. Mark the parts of the case you think are getting stuck and see if there the ink is scraped off.
Also check close to the rim. If the sizing doesn't go all the way to that area, or the brass is a little big, that will bind. Not all full length resizing dies do the same thing.

Okay tried with a resized case no primer and no bullet. It fell right in. Bolted firmly but no too tight. It ejected fine. Looked at the case and it's got some slight rubbing at the base of the neck. I think I'll try cleaning it real good with a chamber brush. Do you think it could be a possible crimp adjustment?

Honestly its very hard to trouble shoot your issue with out seeing exactly what is going on. But your on a path. :D Get a flashlight and shine it down the chamber/bore after you clean it. Make sure its clean, you should see nothing other then the color of steel. Over the years I have seen all sorts of things create your issue from rust to oil/grease/teflon build up in the chamber, bolt lugs and more. There is lots of good info on this thread from other people and there experience. Use the KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid! LOL

#1 Verify cartridge is well with in specs in all areas, OAL, case walls, shoulder and neck. Have any factory ammo? If not get a box and test. Cheapest things first. You have to verify the ammo! Because if it is not the ammo, next is $$$$$ buying test equipment or a Gunsmith.

Good Luck, Keep us posted.:s0155:

I know that this happened in my mauser 98k when I would try to feed it Federal ammo (.270 win). The rim on the ejected case had a little knotch on it. Someone told me that was because the Federal brass has a rim that is just a tiny bit thicker than most. Haven't ever measured it myself.

to see that your resizing die is screwed down far enough to properly resize/shape the shoulder. With the reloader handle thrown at full stroke, can you still screw your resizing die down? I like to go to the base of the case holder and then back off a quarter turn.

My two cents.

Joe

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews