JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you sure they were aluminium and not steel? A lot of steel case .45 auto were loaded in ww2 and just cuz I reloaded some. It's possible to do., if not advisable. Never tried reloading the al cases, which are usually berdan-primed by the manufacturer. Never ran across any ww2 aluminium cased ammo.

Thinking the same thing.

I might do it, just to know I could, as an disaster preparedness exercise

Seems to be a little over dramatization with this aluminum case debacle.

If you currently load brass 9mm aluminum is no different. It seems to go through the sizing die a little smoother but for all intents and purposes sizes, flares, primes & seats the same as brass - disaster prep or not.

Oh, and lets not leave out .45 ACP alum - I have a lot of it to load as well!

Last Edited:
I had a coworker that would reload 380 and 45acp aluminum case. He would only do it one time and a little on the light side he told me. He said they would crack after the second or third reloading so he stopped.

They can be reloaded once or twice but not worth the effort.
Actually it is if you happen to be chasing jackrabbits through the desert with a semi auto and don't want to stop and pick up brass. Heck I have ejected .357 from a revolver doing this and neglected to pick it up or dump it in my hand due to sometimes fast moving and shooting of these fast moving creatures!

Great sport - been doing it a LONG time!

And how is it 'not worth the effort' ? It takes no more effort to reload aluminum than brass.

Last Edited:
I have a bag of about 500 Wolf .45acp steel cases that I pulled out the dumpster at the range a while back. They were just sitting there on top in a box. They weren't even rusty. I've reloaded steel cases before and they seem to do fine, definitely not ideal like brass, but better than aluminum. If I didn't have a bucketful of 45 brass already, and I ever shot where I couldn't pick it up, I'd load some up.

Tried it decades ago when the Blazer .45 ACP first hit the market. Found a bunch in the trash at my gun club and picked them all out to take home. A short trial told me they're not worth using for the short life span they have as reloadable cases. Tossed them in the trash, and never considered them again.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top