JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would any gun owner entertain the discussion of firearms with a medical provider? Stock answer should be "none of your business." If that doesn't get it done, a hearty "GFY" should do.

There are valid reasons to bring up this topic... Gun safety of children and others is the main reason for the questions...

I for one dont write it down but help remind parents and grandparents to store guns safely away from kids, particularly visiting kids who are not trained on proper gun handling safety...

If you refuse to answer that is fine, if you make a scene, then you are looking for a new doctor... And if you make threats then cops can get involved...

So my advice is to leave it blank or answer it if you prefer... But do it with some decency... Not all doctors are anti 2A

Do you also ask if the parents or grandparents have swimming pools, big dogs, five gallon buckets, or ATVs on their property? If not, you've been duped into an agenda that has precious little to do with medicine.

Do you also ask if the parents or grandparents have swimming pools, big dogs, five gallon buckets, or ATVs on their property? If not, you've been duped into an agenda that has precious little to do with medicine.

Actually we do... Our checklist is quite long, including alcohol, drugs, tobacco, seat belts and driving safety, helmets, etc. does it include everything? No.. But enough to start a conversation... My job is to help people.. If they dont want it, i dont push it, but most trust me enough to be open and listen. They know me well enough that I have no agenda, some know I like firearms too...

If you feel that way about your doctor, it must suggest you dont have a good relationship with your doc or you are on govt assisted medical welfare where most docs dont have time to know you well enough to help you...

Suggesting that I was duped assumes I am dumb and have no ability to think for myself...

I wont get into argument with you but lets just say I dont think I'm dumb...
And like to think i can filter media on my own well enough without your help...

Actually we do... Our checklist is quite long, including alcohol, drugs, tobacco, seat belts and driving safety, helmets, etc. does it include everything? No.. But enough to start a conversation... My job is to help people.. If they dont want it, i dont push it, but most trust me enough to be open and listen. They know me well enough that I have no agenda, some know I like firearms too...

If you feel that way about your doctor, it must suggest you dont have a good relationship with your doc or you are on govt assisted medical welfare where most docs dont have time to know you well enough to help you...

Suggesting that I was duped assumes I am dumb and have no ability to think for myself...

I wont get into argument with you but lets just say I dont think I'm dumb...
And like to think i can filter media on my own well enough without your help...

It would have been nice had you simply stated that you ask about all manner of "hazards" in the first place rather than narrowly addressing guns. You self-limited your initial response in that regard, leaving the reasonable impression that you voluntarily discussed "gun safety" as some sort of primary public health concern.

It would have been nice had you simply stated that you ask about all manner of "hazards" in the first place rather than narrowly addressing guns. You self-limited your initial response in that regard, leaving the reasonable impression that you voluntarily discussed "gun safety" as some sort of primary public health concern.

Sorry i wasnt clear initially then... I hope my reply clarifies things...

These are valid questions as part of an overall hazard assessment in the interest of public safety...

That said our computer system has no section to put firearms ownership into the database... We do for drugs and alcohol.. Those get documented, but helmets, guns, etc are just talking points... And not tracked. The paper they write on gets shredded after I read it... That is standard practice where I work...

Other clinics may vary... And as it is the law prohibits such documentation...

The important thing I see is that it keeps insurance premiums from changing based on ownership.

Since everyone is required to have healthcare in this country, an easy way to effectively ban guns would be to increase insurance premiums to a huge amount for any firearms owner.

The important thing I see is that it keeps insurance premiums from changing based on ownership.

Since everyone is required to have healthcare in this country, an easy way to effectively ban guns would be to increase insurance premiums to a huge amount for any firearms owner.

THIS ^^^

Could also be used by the government to effectively ban other "risky" behaviors such as:
Premarital sex
Paragliding and hang-gliding
Motorcycling
Smoking
Recreational drug use
Venting anger
Mountain climbing
Women's soccer
etc ....

It opens the door to all manner of government intrusion into your life. If you want to take risks, you should be able to.

THIS ^^^

Could also be used by the government to effectively ban other "risky" behaviors such as:
Premarital sex
Paragliding and hang-gliding
Motorcycling
Smoking
Recreational drug use
Venting anger
Mountain climbing
Women's soccer
etc ....

It opens the door to all manner of government intrusion into your life. If you want to take risks, you should be able to.

They already charge higher premiums for smoking...

They already charge higher premiums for smoking...

I currently get my health insurance through where I work. There are no questions about any individual behavior. The cost is the same whether I smoke, ride a motorcycle to work, go paragliding on the weekend, drink 2 beers every night ..... etc.

I have worked for several companies -- none of them have asked questions about risky behaviors for determining anything about health insurance coverage.

The only insurance that I have that denies benefits for individual actions is my life insurance. They will not pay for suicide or for private aircraft accidents. They don't ask you if you participate or plan to participate in these activities .... they simply will not pay if the cause of death is through either activity.

FYI, I recently came out of four years in the health-insurance sector, and I can tell you that change is coming. It is not "if" but rather "when" your employer will want to take advantage of reduced rates in exchange for incenting healthy behaviors in the employees.

Smoke? Your premium will be higher.

Significantly overweight (obese), have high cholesterol, or some combination of factors? Your premium will be higher if you don't agree to attempt to change the situation, and probably show some ultimate progress. You might even get a free gym membership or other paid incentives.

The above two examples are ultimately good for your personal health, but yeah there is a huge Big Brother factor to it. Get ready, it's coming...

Peter

Harry goes quiet on guns...
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...n-related-language-into-obamacare-2010-a.html

Back to my original posting based on the Blaze article, here is my hypothesis: Big pharma (and not the NRA) lobbied Harry Reid for that last-minute language in Obamacare. Pharma is a $650B industry in this country, and has much to lose if the many purported "wonder" drugs were examined in more detail...
This Is How a Secret Gun Provision Made its Way Into Obamacare Legislation | TheBlaze.com

Peter

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads