JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could be wrong, but I don't think they make shot shells specifically for .357, so if you get/have a .357 you'll be shooting .38 shot shells. So, if you have a .38, no need to go bigger than that. My S&W model 10 loaded with .38 shot shells did just fine on the 2 rattlers I had to shoot.
I was thinking of .38 not necessarily a 357. Just that size, but a .22 shotshell might work too. Gee! Might have to buy another gun.....or two.

+1
As another person who was raised in a rural area with lots of rattlesnakes, the thought never occurred to pack a gun on their account, don't think I have ever seen an individual pack a gun solely for snakes... I do consider it good advice to walk slower or make some noise in areas you think they may inhabit so they have time to run away from you.
If I were to choose a gun, .410 pistol mentioned by others seems like a good choice (I would choose a walking stick).

Since snakes feel vibrations through their jaw and don't hear like other animals I don't believe that making some noise will be very effective.

Otherwise I question the 'irrational' fear of a ground dwelling creature - much like black widows, or scorpions etc.

I've been bitten by a Black Widow, it was the most excruciating stomach pain/muscle cramps for 3 days, along with difficulty breathing, weakness, and tremors. So, I'd say my fear of them is not irrational and as a home inspector I was around them way too much. S Calif they were everywhere outside plus in the garage. No woodpile was safe, no stacked boxes were safe.

Scorpion sting varies from the pain of a beesting, to death, depending on which species one encounters. Boating/camping at Lake Mead, one had to be extremely careful jumping off the boat barefoot (one time I jumped onto a rock about the size of a watermelon and it turned over... it had about 25 lil scorpions underneath), and I found one inside pants I was putting on. Another time one crawled under the door sweep of a friend's home in San Diego and was making towards her baby that was on the floor.

One of my buddies dogs was snakebit after jumping over a rock below the dam while fishing, it was not pleasant for the dog.

I've run across them here at Imnaha R as well as Snake R campgrounds and while hiking along the Deschutes... all things considered, I prefer not to be envenomated by most any critter.

Since snakes feel vibrations through their jaw and don't hear like other animals I don't believe that making some noise will be very effective.
Do whatever works for you. I've been around them most of my life and one of easiest ways to make make noise is carrying a stick banging on rocks occasionally as you go. I've only ever had to shoot one and that's because I was like 14 at the time. Was lying in shade next to road and I stepped within about a foot of him. Did a 25 round mag dump into him with 10/22. Number one thing is learn where they like to be and don't surprise them. For example the dark wellhouse (or whatever) take caution when u open the door .

These single action F.I.E.s' or "Heritage" cowboy guns. Pop in the.22 wmr shots #12..... pistol was like $100 with both cylinders (LR,WMR) and can still find cartridges on shelf.
Gun belt feels nostalgic..... "cowboy up....barrf )
Get the longest barrel you can find.... Hehehehe.

07870F9C-B346-4CB6-9847-A96EA2690918.jpeg

Do whatever works for you. I've been around them most of my life and one of easiest ways to make make noise is carrying a stick banging on rocks occasionally as you go. I've only ever had to shoot one and that's because I was like 14 at the time. Was lying in shade next to road and I stepped within about a foot of him. Did a 25 round mag dump into him with 10/22. Number one thing is learn where they like to be and don't surprise them. For example the dark wellhouse (or whatever) take caution when u open the door .

The stick banging on the rock sends vibrations through the ground that are picked up by the snake. The noise generated does nothing. I do the same thing when hiking. I just didn't want the uninformed to think that they would scare snakes away buy whistling or humming a tune when in snake country.

Rocks.... they like warm rocks. And brush. And warm pavement in the campgrounds, roads at night, and under a shady chair a friend was sitting on in Quartzsite AZ.

Buffalo Peak golf course... I used to see them racing alongside my cart on the paths. Hit a ball off the fairway.... that's called a "Snakeball".

I have a Public Defender Judge..... IMO the barrel is too short to be an effective snake gun (gotta get too close). If getting Judgy, use the longest barrelled model you can get. Otherwise, I think a .38 or .357 is better. A .22lr MIGHT work... Just remember to shoot them in the head, the body can absorb a lot of punishment and still allow one to strike, which they probably will if you pizz them off!

I've been bitten by a Black Widow, it was the most excruciating stomach pain/muscle cramps for 3 days, along with difficulty breathing, weakness, and tremors. So, I'd say my fear of them is not irrational and as a home inspector I was around them way too much. S Calif they were everywhere outside plus in the garage. No woodpile was safe, no stacked boxes were safe.

Scorpion sting varies from the pain of a beesting, to death, depending on which species one encounters. Boating/camping at Lake Mead, one had to be extremely careful jumping off the boat barefoot (one time I jumped onto a rock about the size of a watermelon and it turned over... it had about 25 lil scorpions underneath), and I found one inside pants I was putting on. Another time one crawled under the door sweep of a friend's home in San Diego and was making towards her baby that was on the floor.

One of my buddies dogs was snakebit after jumping over a rock below the dam while fishing, it was not pleasant for the dog.

I've run across them here at Imnaha R as well as Snake R campgrounds and while hiking along the Deschutes... all things considered, I prefer not to be envenomated by most any critter.

A client once opened his freezer and took out a plastic box with hundreds of frozen scorpions in it. Whenever he sees one in his home, he scoops it up and tosses it in the freezer. He said not to stomp on scorpions cause the females have their microscopic babies on their backs and you would scatter them all over but that hasn't stopped me yet...

I was a Park Ranger on the Snake river in Idaho and part of my job was to kill any rattler I came across in recreation areas. I killed dozens of them. All were killed with a shovel with no drama. One with an axe when someone took the shovel out of my pickup. And one with the rear tire of my truck when I was too tired to get out of the truck at the end of the day.

I also lived in the country in AZ and had to deal with rattlers. The Diamondbacks were no big deal and generally left when confronted. The Mojave Green rattlers were nasty little bastards that were aggressive and came after you.

The biggest thing when dealing with snakes on your property is to get rid of whatever is attracting them. That means get rid of rodents. I had a yard with a vole problem. So I also had a rattlesnake problem. I got rid of the voles, and the snakes left.

Same with scorpions and crickets. Get rid of the crickets and the scorpions will leave.

As far as snake guns. I built a $15 snake gun using a free 12ga I was gifted. Worked great.

IxN1GIz5QDmEjctF1Va22w.jpeg

That said, most snakes I encountered on my driveway were dispatched with my carry pistol. If you can't hit a snake's head at 5', then you need more practice. :s0092:

The best selection for snake defense is a shovel. That's what I use. To kill as snake with snake shot you gotta be within shovel distance anyway.

I agree but years ago while on a job, a rattlesnake wouldn't let me near the area I needed to work. The woman showing me around the property started tossing rocks at the rattlesnake, which got madder with every hit--soon it was completely covered in rocks and no longer a threat to anybody

When she started throwing rocks at the snake, I thought she was crazy but she knew what she was doing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top