JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This may sound odd, but we don't have a single bolt-action in the battery, being the rifles are semi-automatics and lever-actions. That said, I am starting to do some homework on this front for a variety of reasons.

Can anyone recommend a rifle that is:

• Bolt-action.
  • Chambered in .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜.
  • As light and handy as possible.
  • Has a magazine with a capacity of at least five (5) rounds.
  • Preferably uses detachable, box magazines. Though this is not a deal breaker.
  • Is traditionally styled (e.g., blued steel and wood, no plastic-fantastics). A Mannlicher-style stock would be wonderful, but I realize that isn't likely to happen.
  • The barrel is threaded, or can be easily threaded by a competent gunsmith, to ½x28 pitch.
  • Drilled and tapped for a scope. Or could be done relatively simply by a gunsmith.
  • Is not wildly expensive. (To be clear, I have no problem paying for quality up front. I just mean nothing completely custom or super exotic, and therefore expensive.)
Any recommendations? Thanks much. :)

Thanks, I'll check them out. Ruger has always worked out for us. I haven't seen a centerfire, American-series with a wood stock, though I have the rimfire with said. However, I haven't dug too deep or checked if they make aftermarket stocks to replace the polymer. Speaking of Ruger, I believe the Hawkeye line might have something that meets the key points.

I'm looking at CZ USA now. They do put out some nice ones, so here's hoping there is one that will fit. :)

This may sound odd, but we don't have a single bolt-action in the battery, being the rifles are semi-automatics and lever-actions. That said, I am starting to do some homework on this front for a variety of reasons.

Can anyone recommend a rifle that is:

• Bolt-action.
  • Chambered in .223 Remington / 5.56x45㎜.
  • As light and handy as possible.
  • Has a magazine with a capacity of at least five (5) rounds.
  • Preferably uses detachable, box magazines. Though this is not a deal breaker.
  • Is traditionally styled (e.g., blued steel and wood, no plastic-fantastics). A Mannlicher-style stock would be wonderful, but I realize that isn't likely to happen.
  • The barrel is threaded, or can be easily threaded by a competent gunsmith, to ½x28 pitch.
  • Drilled and tapped for a scope. Or could be done relatively simply by a gunsmith.
  • Is not wildly expensive. (To be clear, I have no problem paying for quality up front. I just mean nothing completely custom or super exotic, and therefore expensive.)
Any recommendations? Thanks much. :)
I would look at the CZ 527 because it has a true Mini-Mauser action. is available in an American style walnut stock and either standard weight or varmint weight barrels.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ma...icro-varmint-rifle-the-cz-527-new-gun-review/
CZ-527-19-400x266.jpg

Or a Remington Model 700 Varmint. (700 ADL synthetic on sale/rebate at Cabelas)
pix624772006.jpg

Funny you mention it, because I am on CZ's site now.

CZ 527 American or Carbine would work. The former should be easy to thread. Though I am not sure about the latter. But man is it a beauty:

cz-usa-cz-527-carbine.png

Ditto the "FS" variant.

cz-usa-cz-527-fs.png

I picked up the American Ranch in 556 that takes AR magazines. Great rifle. Light, compact, and handy.

If you're looking for something that is not lite I have a Remington 700 Tactical for sale.

I always say Tikka T3, then Ruger M77, then Savage. Used to be a good Remmy 700, but not any thing post 90s! TIKKA WILL be the slickest shooting, and with a suppressor, still the lightest!:D

Threaded for the can would be nice. I've been considering this route as well.

I'm set up with a can for the caliber and this would be a varmint rifle, so I figure I might as well. It makes shooting more pleasurable. I wouldn't imagine it would be terribly difficult for a competent smith to thread most rifles. If it comes from the factory so set, then all the better, but not a big deal.

I love my Ruger Ranch Rifle, light, compact, and super accurate. Did I mention inexpensive? Did I mention Ruger quality? It has both of those attributes, cold hammer forged threaded barrel, and takes AR mags. It's everything I want in a bolt for a minimal investment.

And then a little hotrodding from RVB,,,
Cz-527 Rifle Magazine Conversion | RVB Precision
PB210007-vi.jpg

Or Calhoon...the king of CZ527 hotrodders
James Calhoon Fine Shootin' Bullets Main Page

19 Calhoon, 19 BADGER, and 19-223 Calhoon in CZ 527 Mini-Mauser American: For the rifle purist, the CZ is the choice. A true miniature Mauser action with 2 front locking lugs and claw extractor. The action is "old world" quality machined from steel forgings, resembling a miniaturized version of the Model 70 Winchester. While the CZ standard trigger is pleasing, a set trigger feature is built in that operates in ounces.

Last Edited:
The T3X can be had as a small action, and some are allready threaded! Then there is the Super varmint, an absolutely awesome rifle! :D
Ask @SKrueger :):):)

You have turned me into a Tikka fan boy!! In fact I think you owe me dinner because it has cost me to much money! :D Its hard not to like anything Tikka guys. The action is smooth, accurate as hell and the triggers are amazing. You pay a little more but no up grades needed down the road.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top