JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It seems a relative has failed to pay their storage bill and is either homeless or in jail again or something. Anyway, we have been notified by the storage co. that they are going to sell her stuff if someone doesn't come pay the bill.

That leaves the rest of us with the task of cleaning out their storage unit and salvaging/storing what we can (I have offered numerous time to store some of her stuff but the offer has been refused as she is paranoid I will steal he junk :rolleyes:).

So, I don't have bolt cutters and not sure they would work as I don't know if she put a good hardened lock on it or not. I have a small air powered grinder/etc., but it is not powerful and the discs I have for it hardly cut anything much less hardened steel and I can't count on power at the site to run the compressor (which itself is pretty anemic).

I have been thinking about getting a good battery powered grinder with cutoff wheel just for these kind of situations (and others).

Recommendations?

With stuff like this it mainly comes down to "what you want and how much is it used". If you want to cut one lock and the thing is going to sit on a shelf? Harbor Freight. They will have what you want cheap and it will work fine. From there it's all in how much do you want to spend. The power supply for these tools has come light years in the last decade. Even the "high end" stuff is so much better than it used to be and cheap compared. I have a couple HF battery tools for stuff I seldom use. A Sawsall, and small circular saw. I seldom ever need either of them. Often they sit covered in dust until I need them for some job, they work. Now if I used these on anything close to a regular basis they would I am sure have long ago died. So cut one lock? HF. These will cut any lock no matter how well made.

I have all bosch cordless tools now and my friend has all dewalt before that I had a Makita drill that lasted 10 years of daily car audio work. Some brands off tools that others don't so look at your top choices and their complete lineups since your going to have that battery it might as well work on everything you want. The new 20v dewalt is amazingly powerful and light weight. I'd take any of the 3 brands I mentioned. We install car audio all day with them so they get tons of use dewalt has a battery powered nail gun iv used more times than I can count in the last 10 years. Built tons of boxes and shoots through a 2x4 like nothing. All depends what other tools you will want in the future. Also I bought an impact/drill combo that came with 2 batteries to get started. Then just buy the other tools by themselves their much cheaper that way. Buying a battery alone is tough since like you said it's almost the cost of a tool. With 2 batteries and a quick charger I can get most jobs done

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews