Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rechambering 7mm rem to 7mm practical

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by scpaul, Jan 12, 2014.

1. scpaul

scpaul Columbia sc New Member

Since the specs. are so similar between 7mm rem/7mm practical can a 7practical chamber reamer change 7mm rem to 7 practical ? It so how expensive would the conversion be sending just the bbl. vs sending the entire weapon ? thanks Paul

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your gun smith would need to buy or rent the special reamer and the operation could most likely be done with the barreled action assembled. You might also need work done to the bolt face as the 7mm Rem base is slightly larger then the 300 win mag case is. As to cost only the specific gunsmith you have do the work can tell you what it will cost.

3. scpaul

scpaul Columbia sc New Member

according to MODERN RELOADING#2 & NOSLER#6 most all specs.are the same except over all case length & neck diameter for 7mm rem mag. & 300 win mag. It wasn't changed on the Prtactical was it? paul

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was just going off dimensions given in some on line drawings. your best bet is to talk to the gun smith who would be doing the work.

5. jer fly

jer fly cottage grove Member

what are you expecting to gain ? The 7mm and 300 are both based off the same case. I would recommend a new barrel over trying to ream out your existing barrel. It can be done but unless your current chamber is perfect the chances of the new chamber coming out will be slim.

6. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Consult a competent gum smith. This should be child's play for them. I wouldn't go off forum conjecture.