Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Re-crown barrel - Tacoma area

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by crazysccrmd, Dec 15, 2012.

1. crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Parkland Member

I have a rifle barrel I need to true/re-crown after cutting. I can take it to a smith and get it back in about a week but it would be nice to have it faster. Anyone in the Tacoma area have the tools to crown a 8x57 barrel that will let me use, buy or pay them for their time?

2. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

When I wanted this done in a hurry I ordered a crown cutting "reamer" and pilot from Brownells. 3 days later the barrel was recrowned and looked far better than some of the "lathe jobs" I've seen. In a big hurry, order early, use Next Day Air Morning Delivery. Will probably total to less than what a 'smith will charge and you could be finished

Better yet, having the tool allows you to "fix" a crown if it gets damaged/worn.

3. OldGuyPhil

OldGuyPhil Longview New Member

I've had good luck with the Dave Kiff kit.

4. Italian Make

Italian Make Snohomish WA New Member

hmmm, interesting. May have to try this, need to shorten a barrel and recrown....

5. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

It's a great tool but hard for some to avoid "chatter". The brownell crown cutters have more cutting flutes and is really easy to use with a handle. When I finish a crown on one of my rifles the surface is mirror smooth.