JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finally got the RDB out to the range today with sinus211 (Mike). We got the Vortex Strike Eagle sighted and shot the gongs at 220 yards like they were fish in a barrel. I swear I heard Mike playing the gongs like the dueling banjo song from the movie "Deliverance".

As I stated earlier, this RDB has a very solid feeling weight and balance to it. In my humble opinion the trigger was excellent. This is the first bullpup I've ever shot so I don't really have anything to compare it against. Nice smooth pull without any grittiness whatsoever. The trigger pull seemed a very steady weight all the way through to the break. It's no Geissele but it's not bad either. I do remember Kelly Bachand telling me, when I picked the rifle up from him that the RDB had one of the best triggers of any bullpups he had shot.

I really liked the casings ejecting (not really ejecting as much as just dropping, like turds, hot turds) out the back end from beneath the stock. There were no issues with getting hot brass on me or even noticing they were dropping there until I had finished my shot. The only time I did have a casing burn my hand was during the sight in of the scope and I had my non-shooting hand folded and tucked underneath the stock like I typically position it for precision shots. Once the rifle is sighted in I don't anticipate shooting the RDB with my hand in that spot so it shouldn't be an issue.

The rifle has a very short overall length and it would be extremely easy to maneuver in tight quarters without bumping into everything. I need to get a sling for this. I'm sure it would be short enough to conceal underneath a winter jacket if I really had the desire or a need to do so.

One thing I did notice when we went cold on the line was the difficulty one has with getting a visual to ensure an empty chamber. It's easy enough to drop the mag and lock the bolt to the rear but you have to literally turn the rifle upside down and peer down the mag well to see the empty chamber. It's dark in the mag well and can be difficult to tell if the chamber is indeed empty.
I know it will take me a little while and some practice to get quicker at the mag changes because of the placement of the RDB's mag well but I believe that once I've adapted, I could be as proficient with the mag changes as I am with on an AR.

The mag release is located directly in front of the mag well and it operated flawlessly. You can drop your mags with your trigger hand by using the back of your thumb and wrist area and still maintain a master grip on your pistol grip. It's pretty handy and could be very beneficial if you got good at it.

In conclusion, is it worth the money, hype, time and effort it takes to track one of these down? Hell yes! I am very happy that the Kel Tec RDB was my first bullpup rifle. I have nothing but positive impressions of this Kel Tec product. There wasn't one hiccup with it the entire day. It left me with a new interest and admiration for this type of rifle. It's because of the RDB that there could be more bullpups in my safe in the future.

34erimo.jpg

Projected $1500-$1800 price tag with the absolute unavailability we've came to know and love from Kel-Tec.

While I appreciate the ingenuity and game change up, their price tag is ridiculous. They need to market something in the $800-$900 range bullpup wise. They'd make bank in volume. Then they could have robust "target" models that could extend to the $1500 range.

While Id MUCH rather have a Scout Squad M1A for that price, Id like to try out an RDB to see what all the fuss is about.
:eek:
Someone is asking $1500+ for a keltec? I thought it was bad enough when I saw a guy pay 800 for that POS shotgun
My goodness there is some slow folks out thereo_O
But that's just me;)

Someone is asking $1500+ for a keltec? I thought it was bad enough when I saw a guy pay 800 for that POS shotgun
My goodness there is some slow folks out thereo_O
But that's just me;)

And this is exactly why I see such an uphill road ahead for Keltec. This mindset by the firearms community that they manufacture "cheap" or somehow flawed products. I'll admit, I too was counted among the people that viewed Keltec in this way. In fact I held this view up until about two weeks ago when I won the RDB in the drawing.

I researched the RDB and went out and experienced it first hand. I have to tell you that my mind has been changed. I'm a convert. From all my research and admittedly limited experience with them, I've concluded that Keltec is very committed to not only building high quality guns but also to being innovative, competitive and on the cutting edge of the industry. I will be paying closer attention to them from this point on. Like any firearms manufacturer, I am certain they will have a few hiccups along the way but I believe they will be coming out with some great new products in the future as they seem to be doing now (at least with the RDB).

Really the best thing they could do is follow Kia's footsteps.
Just change the name when something is said to be bad.;)
But honestly,if they started another company they may get more customers. I'm guessing there is enough interest from folks in these newer guns to keep sales good enough so they haven't done it.
Or too proud to?
They may be fine firearms but they just don't interest me that much. I really don't have any desire for beating my shoulder up with 14 rounds of 12ga . And bullpups don't get me that excited.
The only thing I had a little interest in was the 22mag pistol....
until I heard it had feeding issues,lol:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads