JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That is exactly what I was asking myself before I won this brand new Kel Tec RDB bull-pup style rifle.

I used to brush off the word "Kel Tec" as something of quality on par with "Hi-Point", "NC Star" or any other myriad of budget brand firearm related goods. I think it's a stigma that Kel Tec has had attached to it's name for a very long time. It has become apparent to me recently that the Kel Tec brand has been diligently working very hard toward shaking that tenacious stigma that many firearm enthusiasts still perceive of them.

Kel Tec's latest offering, the RDB 223/556 bull-pup style rifle is a clear sign of the innovation and design that Kel Tec is putting forth in their products these days. Once I got past the Kel Tec name and stigma, I was able to actually research information and physically experience the RDB in my hands. I was very pleasantly surprised at the positive reviews that the RDB was receiving as well as the very natural feeling I experienced when holding and shouldering the RDB. The first thing I noticed was that it did not have that "plastic toy" type of feel that I was expecting. It felt heavier than I thought it would, but not too heavy to like. It was just heavy enough to let you know it wasn't some kind of joke but actually a well thought out piece of hardware that was designed with functionality and purpose in mind. I knew I could conduct business with this tool in a serious way. The balance of the RDB is astonishing and it feels very natural as you snuggle it into your shoulder and achieve a cheek weld. It was similar to the feeling I get when I put on my 15 year old Danner boots that I've had resoled three times, like a comfortable old friend with a very personal, tailored fit. I haven't had the RDB to the range yet but at this point I am very confident that this rifle will be growing on me. It has certainly changed the way my brain reacts when I hear the name Kel Tec.

I had been waiting until I could get some sights or an optic for the RDB before getting it to the range. I didn't want to plunder the sighting equipment from one of my other rifles, as I would usually have done to facilitate instant gratification in a new rifle that I'm anxious to shoot. I knew after fondling the RDB that I would want to put an optic on it that would remain on it. A clear sign that I intended the RDB to be a keeper for me. I ended up buying another (I have two now) Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 for the RDB as I've been impressed with how affordable, utilitarian and versatile this Vortex product has proven itself to be. I mounted the Strike Eagle to the RDB in an American Defense Recon 30mm with quick disconnect levers. It is now ready for a range trip I have planned for Monday with Jukk0u (Jim) and sinus211 (Mike) if they are willing to bless me with their presence. I want to see and hear what their impression of the RDB will be as well.

I'll leave you with this range ready image of the RDB as I eagerly anticipate Monday morning at MRC.

34g8zlv.jpg

2a4o1h3.jpg

I dunno about a bullpup design with a muzzle brake. The closer my face is to that the more nervous I'd be.

Cool designs though.

I'll stick with my prejudices,thank you very much
I can't believe people will put a loaded,plastic 12ga keltec to the side of their face and pull the trigger.:confused:
Baffles me

Personally I was really excited to see this rifle come out.
I love bullpup designs although I've never owned one.

You can't help but respect all the innovations Keltec has put out over the last few years. Some pretty cool stuff.

Nice prize. Personally, with bullpups I prefer more proven names like Steyr and IWI (to an extent), but the RDB looks promising. I hope Kel Tec does shake off the stigma attached to their name someday, but that's an uphill climb to make.

Projected $1500-$1800 price tag with the absolute unavailability we've came to know and love from Kel-Tec.

While I appreciate the ingenuity and game change up, their price tag is ridiculous. They need to market something in the $800-$900 range bullpup wise. They'd make bank in volume. Then they could have robust "target" models that could extend to the $1500 range.

While Id MUCH rather have a Scout Squad M1A for that price, Id like to try out an RDB to see what all the fuss is about.

You lucky dog! I NEVER win any contests! Can the bull pup be reconfigured for a South Paw? That piece begs for a good Elite Iron Caliber specific can. I wonder what the reviews are? :)
I have seen these advertise for a while it already is for right or left the shells eject out the bottom

You lucky dog! I NEVER win any contests! Can the bull pup be reconfigured for a South Paw? That piece begs for a good Elite Iron Caliber specific can. I wonder what the reviews are? :)
From my understanding, both KelTec pup's are completely ambi. The .308 RFB ejects from a tube and drops below the barrel and this RDB ejects straight down behind the mag.. I think.

I thought I needed one for a long time but that name kept me at bay.. Keep us updated on how she does! I know the gen 1 rfb's had a lot of issues. Haven't heard a bad word about the gen 2's or the rdb yet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top