JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After I size my 5.56 brass with a RCBS sizing die it still won't fit fully into the Dillon case gage. I have the die screwed into the press to where it touches the shell plate. I'm thinking it's close enough and it's a comparability issue between RCBS and Dillon. What do ya think?

Can you tell what is stopping the case? Diameter near the rim or shoulder? I would try screwing in until it hits the shellplate completely, size a peice and gauge that. Rifle dies are different between manufactures, not like a straight walled pistol die where they are pretty much the same.

Make sure your Camming over when your at the top of the stroke. Lower your sizing die until you feel it cam over....

I think your using a progressive press . I have a case in each station when I set the cam over to even out any cant or tilt.

I use the black box set of RCBS dies for 223/556, and also use a Dillion case gage. I have no issues when checking the rounds.

Good luck

RCBS says to screw the die in until it touches than screw it in another turn so it will cam over. Dillon is different, they say to screw it in till it touches than back it off a turn or so. This my be the issue.

I don't use standard Dillon rifle dies, only the trim dies with the rt1200 but for those they need to be adjusted down until your case fits the gauge. I have an rcbs size die, if I were home I'd give it a try and see if mine is the same. Unfortunately home is a few states over.

I have an issue with rcbs dies on my 223 brass. It works fine when I seat a boat tail bullet but squishes the Neck if I try to load a standard bullet. I contacted rcbs and they sent me a new neck sizing die which measured the same and made no difference. I use a single stage press and only use boat tail bullets.

Hey dog
What type of sizing die are you using? FL, or small base?

The small base will size down about .003 more over a full lenght sizing die.

Can you post the rcbs # on the box ?

After I size my 5.56 brass with a RCBS sizing die it still won't fit fully into the Dillon case gage. I have the die screwed into the press to where it touches the shell plate. I'm thinking it's close enough and it's a comparability issue between RCBS and Dillon. What do ya think?
Did you read the instruction manual? read the instruction manual

I ran into an issue years ago like this..

Ended up needing a small base die set.

Then I realized after running the brass up into the die, upon extraction it was tugging the neck and shoulder so they weren't at the angle they should be.

Try a little lube inside the neck. See what happens. Remember brass has spring back and wants to return so you have to size it beyond so when it comes back it's where it should be.

I have an issue with rcbs dies on my 223 brass. It works fine when I seat a boat tail bullet but squishes the Neck if I try to load a standard bullet. I contacted rcbs and they sent me a new neck sizing die which measured the same and made no difference. I use a single stage press and only use boat tail bullets.

Do you chamfer the inside after trimming? Makes a world of difference.

Just read through my Dillon 550 instructions. There is nothing about backing off the sizing die. Screw it down until it is against the shell plate when it is raised, lower the shell plate put in a case, raise the shell plate and tighten the lock nut.

Just read through my Dillon 550 instructions. There is nothing about backing off the sizing die. Screw it down until it is against the shell plate when it is raised, lower the shell plate put in a case, raise the shell plate and tighten the lock nut.

Yep, I fixed that. I was thinking of a video I seen yesterday where a guy wouldn't allow his die to touch the shell plate. He used a piece of business card as a feeler gage to space it.

After screwing it down to make contact it still won't fit in the case gage.

I tried a new un-fired case and it fell below the surface slightly. I was using a RCBS Compitition die set (the one in the wooden box). I had another set of dies, they were the standard #11101 223 set so in stalled them. It helped just a little so I screwed it down a even gmore and that seemed to do the trick.

The instructions say to screw the die down until it's touching the shell plate and that's it. But thats not enough. After my die was touching I probably went another half turn to make it fit in the case gage. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage also. On setting that up your suppose to screw the die down until it touches plus another turn so it over cams. I don't have that press with me right now to try it with the case gage.

How to Adjust Reloading Dies

"Here is how to adjust the resizing die to full length resize cases. First, run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed. Second, screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder. Third, all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases."

Ok, I think I solved the issue. I can go past the point of contact. I was being too carful not to damage the shell plate. From Dillon:

Any modern reputable die maker offers dies that size a case to fit a minimum-spec chamber. Before doing anything else, size a case and see if it fully chambers, the bolt locks completely, and the case easily extracts. Often this requires running the size die down not just until it touches the shellplate, but up to 1/4-1/2 turn beyond that, to take all the play out of the linkage, toolhead, etc. A headspace case gage makes it easier to adjust the size die, as it substitutes for your chamber, and indicates where maximum and minimum headspace are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top