JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a used RCBS reloading kit a few months ago that came with .38 dies, LP primers (approx 325) and lead cast bullets (approx 291) that I will never use. I have tried searching but cannot come up with a total cash value or trade value. Pics to follow.

Any help appreciated.;)

Jim Sr.

20160919_111739.jpg 20160325_181050.jpg 20160325_181015.jpg 20160325_181002.jpg 20160325_181129.jpg

Last Edited:
I couldn't tell ya if they were carbide or not (I'm a nub in reloading).

Thanks for the price estimates as I couldn't find any on the web that were definitive.
Most likely not carbide. To be sure.....

Here is my old rcbs non carbide on the left, new Hornady American die on the right. Notice the ring as the insert. Left is .357/.38, right is .357/.38 as well, just missing the decapping pin on the left die set.
image.jpg

Then my .357 RCBS carbide die:
image.jpg
Notice the gray insert.
Carbide dies retail $53? So you can get a little more. I think I paid $20 for my last set of non carbide pistol dies.

Hate to say it but.......

Since your set is labeled as .357 Mag., it might be only good for .357 Mag. The .357 Mag cases are longer than .38 Special cases. Ok, so you probably knew that already. But, stick with me while I explain further.....

Back in the late 70s (early 80s), most people bought .38 Special dies and unscrewed the die a bit and locked it down to make the .38 Special dies useable to reload .357 Mag. There was even a special washer that could be inserted between the die's lock nut and press to make things easier. That being the case....there was no real need to buy a set of dies for the .357 Mag exclusively....unless you were RICH or something.

BTW, it's because the .357 Mag bullet seating/crimp die would not work if you were loading for .38 Special. Remember, that .357 Mag case is longer than the .38 Special.

Anyway, a carbide die set is the way to go with straight walled pistol calibers. In fact, I would not recommend/never recommend a straight wall pistol die set without carbide. YES, carbide is that much of a leap forward to reloading straight walled pistol cases. So, the price would have to be next to nothing before I'd be interested in a die set without carbide (speaking of straight walled pistol calibers).

Not to mention that, although RCBS is a well respected name.......well, LEE makes excellent dies in carbide that are a fraction of the cost of the other well known brands. And, they also produce excellent ammo, just like the big name brands.

The same would go for loading .44 Mag. Huh? Just buy the .44 Special carbide die set and you can load for both calibers.

Just my .02 on the subject.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
good Hate to say it but.......

Since your set is labeled as .357 Mag., it might be only good for .357 Mag. The .357 Mag cases are longer than .38 Special cases. Ok, so you probably knew that already. But, stick with me while I explain further.....

Back in the late 70s (early 80s), most people bought .38 Special dies and unscrewed the die a bit and locked it down to make the .38 Special dies useable to reload .357 Mag. There was even a special washer that could be inserted between the die's lock nut and press to make things easier. That being the case....there was no real need to buy a set of dies for the .357 Mag exclusively....unless you were RICH or something.

BTW, it's because the .357 Mag bullet seating/crimp die would not work if you were loading for .38 Special. Remember, that .357 Mag case is longer than the .38 Special.

Anyway, a carbide die set is the way to go with straight walled pistol calibers. In fact, I would not recommend/never recommend a straight wall pistol die set without carbide. YES, carbide is that much of a leap forward to reloading straight walled pistol cases. So, the price would have to be next to nothing before I'd be interested in a die set without carbide (speaking of straight walled pistol calibers).

Not to mention that, although RCBS is a well respected name.......well, LEE makes excellent dies in carbide that are a fraction of the cost of the other well known brands. And, they also produce excellent ammo, just like the big name brands.

The same would go for loading .44 Mag. Huh? Just buy the .44 Special carbide die set and you can load for both calibers.

Aloha, Mark

Another lesson learned. There is so much to learn but I am ready to start.
Thanks Mark

Hate to say it but.......

Aloha, Mark

Yes, you are spot on.
Now when I scooped up this set I used it for a reason.....

I could load .38, .357 on the same turret head but when loading .38 I would skip over the .357 seating and crimping die.

Allowing me to load both calibers with one turret head. Now I have one for .38 and .357 so that function is obsolete.

Agree with you as non carbide are cheap and almost worthless but... I do have use for random decapping dies especially when you screw the decapper all the way down and just decap.. :) cheap guys find ways around stuff. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top