JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I went up to Wolf Creek to do some shooting this morning. I took 3 of my guns, my new Springfield XD 9mm 4.0, a Smith & Wesson M&P .380 EZ and my Colt Trooper .357.

My wife started off with her S&W .380 EZ which shot fine for the first mag through it. She then loaded the 2nd mag and on about the 4th shot all we heard was a pssft... not even as loud as a 22 and the cartridge didn't eject. I had her clear the round but it wouldn't fire (good thing as it turns out). I took a look, dropped the mag and held open the slide but didn't see any problems. I put the mag back in and racked out a couple of bullets as a test and noticed that the ejection port was still partially open and I could see a bit of brass from the feeding round.

I dropped the mag again, made sure the chamber was clear and took the gun apart and saw that the bullet was stuck just inside the feed end, not visible without having the barrel out. Luckily it had stuck close enough that the next round could not feed all the way in and let the bolt close so it would fire. I didn't have a rod or any way to try to get the bullet back up so I put that gun away until we got home. I did keep the spent cartridge separate so I could also look at it later as well.

When I got home I found a wood dowel that just fit the barrel and hit it a few times with a rubber mallet. The bullet popped back out. I don't see any problems inside the barrel with a bore light so I figure the round just didn't have enough power to more than push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel a little bit.

From the saved cartridge I was able to determine that it was from a box of Remington UMC 95 gr FMJ .380 that I bought at the same time as I bought the S&W EZ. It looks like it was the last couple of rounds from the box (we had shot most of it the week before) as the next bullets in the mag were Sig Sauer .380. ammo that I'd bought elsewhere later. At first I thought it was one of the Sig Sauer cartridges but the bad cartridge had a R P stapmped on it so I knew it wasn't. If I hadn't of saved the cartridge I would have blamed it on the Sig Sauer ammo, so I'm glad I had it.

I don't know how common this kind of problem is but the reason I bought the Remington was because it was a name brand. I don't have any more Remington .380 but I still have about 250 rounds of Remington 9 mm that I bought at the same place when I bought the Springfield XD a couple of weeks ago, so I hope it's not inherent to the brand.

I will see how the other brands of .380 I have do before I decide what I'll buy next time. I only bought a box of about 5 brands so I could see how each shot through the EZ before I bought a large amount later. When I do, unless I have some of the same issues with the other brands I have, it probably won't be Remington .380.

Mike

Interesting. The only trouble Ive had like that has been with tula. Had a 380 and a 9mm get lodged in the barrel. Sure ruins a range day if you dont have a rod with ya. I now carry one when I go out.

How do you like that EZ 380?!
Been eyeballing those for a bit now but havent heard much on them.

I heard Tom Gresham on Gun Talk today talking about a recall on them. Nothing major but S&W will cover it 100%. Just go to their website and put in the serial number and it will tell you if it affects your EZ.
As far as the round being stuck, I would guess it was under loaded from the factory.

I like it a lot. My wife and I got to shoot a Ruger LCP 2 and she really liked it but I thought it was a bit small so after some research bought the S&W EZ for her to try. She had some problems with the grip safety two weeks ago when she shot it for the first time but she had no problems with it this time. My Springfield XD also has a grip safety and she had had problems with it last time as well but didn't through about 4 mags this time. Last time we were in a group of people and weren't able to spend time talking over her grip as we were all taking turns shooting. This time it was just us and we were able to spend a little time working it out.

She also had no problem with racking the two magazines she got to load before the stuck bullet, which is a plus. She is also very accurate with both it and my XD 9mm... but we won't go into how she is a better shot than I am.. :)

Mike

Cigars, do you mean that they have a recall on the .380 EZ? The problem we had this morning was the bullet was bad not the gun, but I'll check on the S&W web site to see what they have to say about the EZ. If there is something that they are recalling it for, I'll sure get that done. Thanks.

I took a look at the web site... the recall is on the thumb safety being activated because of recoil. The gun I have does not have the thumb safety, just the trigger safety and grip safety (I didn't want the thumb safety). So unless they find something else, this gun should be ok.

Mike

Remington huh? I would have expected Winchester white Box. Limited experience, but that's the only factory ammo I've personally seen screwy.

As far as the round being stuck, I would guess it was under loaded from the factory.
Hmm Hmm.....I would say not loaded at all, except primer. First hand experience tells me primer only = bullet barely in barrel. :oops:

I will see how the other brands of .380 I have do before I decide what I'll buy next time. I only bought a box of about 5 brands so I could see how each shot through the EZ before I bought a large amount later. When I do, unless I have some of the same issues with the other brands I have, it probably won't be Remington .380.

Mike

Damn glad the round that squib'd on you was blocking the slide from putting a fresh round all the way in. That would have been the end of that pistol until it went back.
As for the ammo this seems to be VERY rare with US made stuff but not unheard of. When the last great panic was going on this often made me nervous as the factories were all running 24/7 trying to catch up. That can of course lead to Q/A problems. I had problems quite a while back with some Win. stuff. 9mm USA Forged. No squibs but a few VERY under powered rounds followed by a couple hang fire. Felt like shooting a flint Lock. Then a couple duds. Finally just tossed the rest of it in the trash and was glad I had not bought a case of it :)
As mentioned it makes it wise to keep a suitable rod and mallet of some kind with the shooting stuff if you are traveling a way to shoot. It also made me quite dumping my range ammo in containers to take. I want to see what lot stuff comes from in case I have a problem.

Good teaching moment for both of you. I've had lots of squib loads in my day. I still forget to bring a ram rod too! I finally just put an old AK steel cleaning rod in the car just in case.

I'm glad it didn't equal a blown up gun. That would likely not made your wife any more excited to shoot guns. Hell, I'd be hesitant to get back myself.

Now that you both know the sound, it's good to know what it may mean and to be cautious of said things.

Glad everything turned out for the good!

I've not been shooting so much that I've lost track of what I shoot yet. I've been keeping everything pretty much separate so I can tell what my guns like and what it is they don't like when I run into it. So far (other than the stuck bullet) my two new semi's have shot everything I've put into them, although most of it has been Remington so far. I don't want to buy bulk until I've eliminated anything they aren't happy with.

Remington's web site was back up today, so I'm going to send them some email with the box info. If they want me to send them the casing and bullet I can do that. I don't know if it means anything, but I do see a difference in how the primer looks inside the case compare to another .380 that fired normally. In the bad one the hole seems to be bigger and I can see 3 small evenly spaced holes further into the primer. On the normal one I just see the main hole and it isn't all that big. I won't be surprised if I don't hear back from them, but I'll give them the information anyway.

Mike

Anytime a round doesn't sound right, or the recoil doesn't feel right, or I don't see any sort of impact when I should, I break the firearm down and check the barrel. Fortunately the few times I have needed to do this, I have not had anything stuck in the barrel yet so I guess my squibs were more like excessively light loads.

elsie

One of the things I don't think you should have done was cycling the remaining rounds through the gun. IMO you should have dropped the magazine and unloaded it outside the gun. I'm also going to suggest you take the gun to a Pistolsmith and have him/her check the gun closely.

Obviously a factory round with no powder or you would have powder all over. Yes you should have inspected more closely before trying another round but after this experience you will know what to do. Your pistol is fine.

I did not cycle the rest of the bullets through the gun, although I did cycle the next two through (just straight cycle, not trying to fire them) in case I had a damaged round. As soon as I realized something was going on other than a miss-feed, I dropped the mag (which still had 11 rounds in it) out and made sure there was no live round still trying to feed. I then took the gun apart and inspected the barrel. I left the remaining bullets in the mag until I got home so I could see what box they came out of.

Having it looked at might not be a bad idea although I did look at the barrel with a bore light and did not see any issues with the rifiling or the mouth of the barrel at all. I won't do any test loading from the mag (to make sure it still feeds smoothly) until I'm back out on the range as I do not practice or do any testing with live ammunition at home. If it doesn't feed and eject smoothly once I get it out where I can fire it I won't fire it either.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top