JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
90% of the people at my range are reloaders that are dialing in new loads so they shoot one shot per 10 min it seems.

Public ranges... don't even want to get started on the people I've seen there lol:rolleyes:

I usually don't have problems where I go, whether it is in the national forest or BLM gravel pit or rock quarry. Most of the times, however, I am shooting by myself and not bothered by anyone. I love it when it's like that. We've had a couple guys come to the club's range that I've been leery about. One such person was shooting while we were having a centerfire shoot and crossfired on to a members target. Come to think of it, I think I have a picture of said target:

IMG_0692_zpsx7nqa3ti.jpg

Later, the same person had a negligent discharge of his weapon at the bench. I was kind of pizzed the RSO didn't say a damned thing about that incident. Thankfully, we haven't had that guy or his buddies show up at the range again. ;)

I have to add to my previous post. I've actually met some cool dudes at the range too. Exchanged phone numbers and have even arranged to go shooting together and also hunt with one guy I met at the range. Some guys stand out in my memory like the one guy that wanted me to shoot every rifle he had brought. I didn't know him from Adam, but he had some cool older weapons/rifles. The 2 in particular that I remember the most from that experience was his Remington 788 22-250 and his Pre 64 model 70 300 H&H that he was working up a load for. To say both of those rifles were sweet would be understating it. The 22-250 was so damn accurate, I swore I'd start looking for a 788 of my own. The 300 H&H was a slick shooting machine. I kept thinking to myself I wish I had brought one of my pre 64's for this guy to check out. Instead, I was shooting a 300WSM I was using for centerfire comp at the time. The guy really liked the short magnum and was surprised it shot so well. When I first arrived at the gravel pit/shooting range he was set up at 160 yards from where I generally put up my targets, so I decided to go with it. I was just there to check on some loads I had straightened anyway. Here's one of the targets from that day with my 300 wsm at 160 yards. There are 11 holes on target. The first one is labeled (fouling shot/sighter) and the other 10 were shot after 1 adjustment of the scope for wind and range. I had it dialed in for 100 yards:
002-43.jpg

Another guy I met there calls me from time to time to meet up at the range and to go duck hunting. He is an aeronautical engineer and is a nice guy. We have a lot in common, as we both like the same cartridges. When I told him I had a 9.3x62mm, he whipped 2 from out of his pickup to show me his. I was impressed that he had even heard of that cartridge. One of his rifles was a left hand Zastava m70 (I believe) and the other was a Styer. He shot my CZ550 from the sitting position and when I looked through the spotter, I said "damn that has to be a 3/4" group!!". Keep in mind, he fired 3 shots from the sitting position. I believe he shot my rifle better than I did. Ha ha... Not all the people at the range are like this guy, but it's nice when you run into some like this that you have a lot in common with. Oh by the way, I said this guy liked a lot of the same stuff I do. I later found out that he bought the same damn rifle I had on my watch list on gunbroker. I came so close to buying that rifle that it wasn't even funny. It was a NRA limited edition model 70 featherweight, chambered in 30-06. He actually let me dial in the new scope on that rifle. I guess I was the first one to fire that rifle (besides the factory). He let me shoot about 4 different types of factory ammo in that rifle after I dialed in the scope. I don't like to burn up another mans ammo, but every 3 shot group I fired with that factory ammo went into less than 3/4" at 100 yards. I was really feeling stupid for not buying that rifle, but felt blessed I got a chance to shoot it. I also told him to let me know if he ever decides to sell it. Sorry about the ramble. Just wanting to share some positive experiences from meeting some people at the range.

Last Edited:
Nice video clip... it left out the guy I saw last time at a public range that closed both eyes before jerking the trigger.... :eek: I left shortly after he showed up
That's always best. I was at a archery range and a guy would shoot is $1,000 bow and close his eyes as he released. He got a bullseye...On my target!!!

There was a guy at the range once, Johnson Creek, that was shooting a 9mm two lanes over. Damn gun was LOUD! I picked up a few of his brass that was flung over near me to look at them. The brass was tarnished, and the primer was seriously bulged, puddled, looked way over pressure! He was pulling the round out of an old tattered box. Being the nice, safety minded, guy that I am I got his attention to show him there may be a problem with his ammo. He just ignored what I was showing him and saying and went back to shooting! We left then.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top