JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking for suggestions for both.

Back story....I'm an RSO for a local range. It's the PNW so of course it rains and gets lousy often. My needs are as follows:

A jacket. Waterproof, fleece/fabric lined that breathes. I'd like to keep warm, and also not look like a goof wearing a ski jacket from Dumb and Dumber. I also don't need a full camo getup. Something tasteful with lots of pockets. I had something like this in mind:

Binoculars. Compact, decent quality but not bank account emptying. "Pocketable" would be cool but not required. Here's the nut buster, I really want 12x. With my eyesight/astigmatism, seeing holes in paper isn't as easy as it used to be. For the longer range I use a range-provided spotting scope, but for 100 or less I'd like something portable.

Recommendations welcome, linkies even better. Thanks! :)

I've got a variety of vests, from the simple wool Filson 1880 style Railroad Vest, up to an actual goose down c-c-c-cooooolllddd weather version.

Plus a rain/wind shell depending. My current favorite rain shell is a "Frogger" from Sportsmans Warehouse that was $32 on sale. I've come to favor it over even the gortex models.

Add in a lightweight expedition long sleeve shirt that is hydrophobic and there's a ton of choices you can carry in a lunch sack.

my most waterproof hunting jacket is a Columbia PHG shell that i wear a sweatshirt under when its cold. carhartt makes nice rain jackets too.

my brother just bought a pair of vortex crossfire HD 10x42 binos. we stood at cabelas for 45 minutes comparing those to the diamondback HD 10x42 and neither of us could tell a difference worth $80 more for the diamondbacks. im pretty sure they have some 12x50s. i use a pair of nikon 10x50 trailblazers for hunting. i like'm

Get a tripod. I'll give you a harness where you can just unclip the binos and set up the tripod to help someone. Only reason I suggest that is high magnification binos really amplify movement.

Get a tripod. I'll give you a harness where you can just unclip the binos and set up the tripod to help someone. Only reason I suggest that is high magnification binos really amplify movement.

Sweet!

I got this at freddies and it works bretty darn good on the cheap. Has plenty of pockets and it'll keep ya warm breathes fine as well.

As for Binos all I could say is maybe PSA deal or sportsmans?

For the jacket it may be more versatile to pickup a Goretex shell and then pair it with a midweight insulator like a nice heavy fleece or a lightweight down sweater. In this manner you can still wear the shell in the fall and spring when it's still raining but not as cold as full blown winter. Just a thought.

As for MFG's, I'm a fan of both Arcteryx and Marmot. But neither one is cheap. However, I did pickup a Marmot Minimalist jacket for $100 at an REI sale a little while back. It's about the cheapest you'll find Goretex for, in a quality maker. But the Minimalist...as the name implies...is a very basic Goretex shell.

Note that Marmot and most makers sell a cheaper line of non-Goretex rainwear. Marmot's line is called "Precip," and you can usually pickup one of these for $100 give or take. They tend to last a few years before they start to delaminate.

REI's housebrand is usually pretty decent so may want to look at their offering as it's usually more affordable than the Arcteryx's/Marmots of the world.

My two absolutely favorite rain coats since living in OR.

I too vote Vortex for binoculars. That or Leupold. I have a pair of both. They are both very nice. I also have a pair of inexpensive Nikons that I actually use the most and leave in the car all the time. They are great and pretty good considering what I paid.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top