JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

Want to get your thoughts on what you use as a range bag. Do you have one that works across the board or do you have different bags for different weapons ( like pistols vs. rifles) ? What about ammo? I currently use two bags, neither of which I really like and have yet to see something that can keep everything organized.
Thanks..

I use a large tool bag, heavy canvas and sturdy handles and a hard bottom surface with small peg legs because I generally just drop it on the ground and the nubs keep it high enough off the ground to prevent total seepage.
I generally chuck boxes of ammo, loaded mags, holsters, optics, small screwdrivers and allen wrenches, spare ear protection and my brass bag as well as a few other odds and ends.

Super tactical pockets don't really gain my attention because I usually just throw everything in the large/main compartment.

Now rifle cases are a different story. I carry a shotgun and rifle around with me everywhere I work via vehicle and Ive been double bagging it and am currently seeking a double rifle case that meets my criteria. Short in length, durable, soft or hard cased, and a separate compartment for ammo/mags/tools.

Canvas tool bag from Harbor Freight. I've been debating picking up a second one so I can keep my ammo seperate from my eye/ear pro, mags, etc. Or just getting a proper range bag.

I've heard good things from people about <broken link removed> range bag. Supposedly they go on sale somewhat regularly as well.

I got the Midway compact comp pro bag a little while back and love it. plenty of pockets for everything you would need. The regular comp range bag is big, my buddy got it and he loves his too great bags for a great price.

I use to have a single range bag but as my collections expanded, so did what I need to carry. Now I have two range bags, basically a bag for my rimfire guns and a bag for my center fire guns. I have also removed all my tools and cleaning kits from the bags, and put them in a tool box. I do carry bore snakes in they bags and silicone gun and reel clothes to go a quick clean and wipe down at the range.

As with anything, bigger is better. If you get the compact, you'll wish you had gotten the competition range bag. This is the one I have, and I love it. If you can, wait for a month or two and see if they go on sale. (They do often). I got mine for $35.99 on sale a couple years ago.

<broken link removed>

My biggest issue that I have with most of the bags is that after I load up 2 or 3 pistols, mags, ammo, glasses, a small cleaning kit, a few tools, hearing protection, etc. I start feeling like I'm going on a trans-continental trip for a month or something. Its even worse if you want to shoot both pistols and rifles on the same day...ugh.

I was looking for a range bag amd couldn't find one at a good price locally or online. Shipping was the killer with Midway. I had a 15" Husky open top tool tote from Home Depot and started using that. It holds about a dozen mags on each side and plenty of room in the middle and 2 big end pockets. I've since bought a large Blackhawk range bag but still use the tote. I looked it up online and they are $15 but I see they have a 17" model with 5 pockets on each side. I may be upgrading.

I drive about 40 minutes to go shooting so I usually take 6 or 8 handguns and 3 or so long guns. Besides the tote I use a plastic ammo box from Bi-mart and a 5 gallon bucket. Pistols in rugs go in the bucket. Bucket gets used for brass and trash while I'm shooting. When I'm ready to head home the handguns go back in the rugs then the bucket.

This works for me now. If I join a gun club I'll start using the range bag and take fewer guns each time. May have a hard time leaving my bucket at home though.

I just use a cloth grocery bag. I try really hard to avoid bringing the whole kitchen sink when I go shooting.
Pistols go in a case, Rifles in their own if I'm bringing them. Ammo is already in ammo cans, targets live in the car anyway. Pop eye and ear protection, a multi-tool, some oil, a mag-lula, masking tape for targets, a staple-gun and staples and my first-aid kit into the bag and I'm good.

Because a lot of my range equipment doubles as teaching equipment it's already all in my office, usually in the same box.

Trying to get stuff all in one bag makes the bag a LOT more heavy than I want to lug around. 6 boxes of pistol ammo and 100 rounds of rifle ammo gets pretty heavy all by itself adding three pistols with attendant mags and maybe a rifle to the whole thing makes it heavy and bulky.

I might feel different if I had to go into an indoor range and traverse a lot of distance as 3 trips would be a pain. But I shoot within 20 feet of my car anyway. I don't even unload the ammo, just a box at a time as needed out of the can.

My biggest issue that I have with most of the bags is that after I load up 2 or 3 pistols, mags, ammo, glasses, a small cleaning kit, a few tools, hearing protection, etc. I start feeling like I'm going on a trans-continental trip for a month or something. Its even worse if you want to shoot both pistols and rifles on the same day...ugh.

:s0114: I know the feeling! I bought one of the Midway bags a few years ago and you can load that thing up. I had 2 or 3 pistols 2 cleaning kits both pistol and rifle ammo in it along with a few other goodies. You can pack a bunch of crap in one of those Midway bags and the price is great!

Canvas tool bag from Harbor Freight. I've been debating picking up a second one so I can keep my ammo seperate from my eye/ear pro, mags, etc. Or just getting a proper range bag.

I've heard good things from people about <broken link removed> range bag. Supposedly they go on sale somewhat regularly as well.

OK I didn't watch the video but there ain't much in that range bag the skinny guy is carrying. That is essentially the same bag I have. Great bag,but it can hold some serious weight.
Unless you have a airport dolly,that thing is a beast! But it holds everything you could ever need in it.
I have pockets and places for.....I don't know what yet!
It can hold 10 handguns easily,or 5 and all the ammo you need for a week,hearing protection....for the whole neighborhood,your complete tool set(the one for the car too).
OK so maybe I'm exaggerating but the bag itself is heavy and does have some volume.10 guns or 5 and plenty of ammo for the day.
Has a separate carry case and 2 rugs for hand guns.
Close to $100? but I like it

for the price (when on sale) midwayUSA range bag is really hard to beat. though shipping is deal breaker, unless you order other stuff with it.

I use the large Midway bag when going shooting in the woods when I take a number of pistols. If going to the indoor range, I use a smaller bag that just holds a few pistols, mags, ammo, eyes & ears.

Years ago, I'd pack one or two big boxes, and realize somewhere out in the sticks that I'd left something important for one of my guns at home.

Harbor Freight, Lowe's and Home Depot each have different sizes, shapes and colors of toolbags. Makes sense (to me) keeping pistols, holsters, belts, mags and ammo in caliber-specific bags. When I go to shoot, I toss the ones I want into a plastic milk crate with generica like earphones, first aid, 100' of rope, scope, tripod, water, gloves, etc.

I also like those rectangular pistol bags with magazine compartments, zipped pockets and handles at the gunshows for $10-15.

Maybe a bit anal, maybe not... After awhile some of us end up collecting specific screwdrivers, allen wrenches, bore snakes, lubes, foam plugs, etc., so, really, each gunbag is a stand alone grab-and-go sort of thing.

Tell me what we're shooting and I can be ready in one minute. When the SHTF, I might not have the luxury of time to deliberate on anything beyond which caliber I need to snatch up - and go.

Since Midway keeps getting brought, just thought I'd post this for anyone making orders.

vat-20131010.jpg

vat-20131010.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews