Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rainwater diverter for downspout

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Barefoot343, May 5, 2011.

1. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

Anybody capture your rain water for SHTF/gardening purposes? I see the diverters on-line but I was hoping someone on here maybe found a type that they were really happy with and a place here in town that sells them.

Anybody?

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I'm not currently gatheirng rainwater, but there is a place that I pass on my way home from work that sells rainwater gathering equipment, barrels and such. I can't remember the name, but they are on TV Hwy in Beaverton just West of 217 on the North side of the street. I think it actually may be the first business on the RH side of the street after you get onto TV Hwy after coming off of 217. You might want to check there.

3. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

4. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Can't use mine for rainwater due to the composition of our roof. Would really like too though!

5. Cougfan2

I am curious about your comment. What about the composition of your roof makes the rainwater it sheds unusable? The reason I ask is that I have contemplated making a rainwater gathering system for emergency drinking water as well as garden water, but I don't know if rainwater coming off of my composition roof would be safe even if filtered.

6. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

be aware that in some counties and states this is illegal
    Utah Officials: Keeping Rainwater Is Illegal : TreeHugger
    It’s Now Legal to Catch a Raindrop in Colorado - NYTimes.com

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

7. Nickp

Nickp Olympia Member

Also check with your local city/county as I know more and more around this area are offering free rain collection barrels/equipment. If not, go to a council meeting and bring up the topic. Many are growing more aware of the idea as it lessens strain on local utilities so the price of giving the equipment away pays for itself.

My city doesn't offer free barrels (anymore) but they do give you a credit for purchasing up to three:
    Water Wise Rain Barrels

To comment on the above:
    Yeah the water-rights issue with rain collection is another weird chapter in the property rights debate. I know of people in Co who can't do it because the rainwater "belongs to the region" who then sells to to Nevada. Usually there is not enough resources to properly enforce the law, though.

8. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

What is this "rain" you speak of????.....Oh westsiders.....nevermind. :laugh:

9. Barefoot343

what, you don't have moss growing on your driveway or roof? :p

10. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I direct you to; Harvesting Rainwater from a composition (asphalt) roof | Biological sand water filters and roof water harvesting

There has been a question for a while about the viability of putting the water from your comp-roofing into a food garden due to contaminants. Having to filter it properly essentially doubles the buy-in cost of a collection system. Of course you could build a filter simply with a layered sand and charcoal barrel but that still has to take into account cost and secure mounting as well as how you get the water through that filter.

11. Cougfan2

Great link and info. Thanks! :thumbup:

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I capture my runoff into a 2000 gallon underground tank and use it to water my gardens during the summer.

13. Barefoot343

Overachiever.

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Free never-used concrete septic tank, the neighbor's Cat 330 excavator and most of a day on a weekend. All I paid for was the diesel...totally worth it!

15. Barefoot343

Nice Redcap. That is a great deal. too bad you couldn't somehow put a compartment in and divide it off, fuel on one side, water on the other, I know the 2 never go together but it would be nice if you could.