JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody capture your rain water for SHTF/gardening purposes? I see the diverters on-line but I was hoping someone on here maybe found a type that they were really happy with and a place here in town that sells them.

Anybody?

I'm not currently gatheirng rainwater, but there is a place that I pass on my way home from work that sells rainwater gathering equipment, barrels and such. I can't remember the name, but they are on TV Hwy in Beaverton just West of 217 on the North side of the street. I think it actually may be the first business on the RH side of the street after you get onto TV Hwy after coming off of 217. You might want to check there.

Can't use mine for rainwater due to the composition of our roof. Would really like too though!

I am curious about your comment. What about the composition of your roof makes the rainwater it sheds unusable? The reason I ask is that I have contemplated making a rainwater gathering system for emergency drinking water as well as garden water, but I don't know if rainwater coming off of my composition roof would be safe even if filtered.

be aware that in some counties and states this is illegal
Utah Officials: Keeping Rainwater Is Illegal : TreeHugger
It's Now Legal to Catch a Raindrop in Colorado - NYTimes.com

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water
but many Western states, including Utah, Washington and Colorado, have long outlawed individuals from collecting rainwater on their own properties because, according to officials, that rain belongs to someone else.

Learn more: Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

Also check with your local city/county as I know more and more around this area are offering free rain collection barrels/equipment. If not, go to a council meeting and bring up the topic. Many are growing more aware of the idea as it lessens strain on local utilities so the price of giving the equipment away pays for itself.

My city doesn't offer free barrels (anymore) but they do give you a credit for purchasing up to three:
<broken link removed>

To comment on the above:
Yeah the water-rights issue with rain collection is another weird chapter in the property rights debate. I know of people in Co who can't do it because the rainwater "belongs to the region" who then sells to to Nevada. Usually there is not enough resources to properly enforce the law, though.

I am curious about your comment. What about the composition of your roof makes the rainwater it sheds unusable? The reason I ask is that I have contemplated making a rainwater gathering system for emergency drinking water as well as garden water, but I don't know if rainwater coming off of my composition roof would be safe even if filtered.

I direct you to; Harvesting Rainwater from a composition (asphalt) roof | Biological sand water filters and roof water harvesting

There has been a question for a while about the viability of putting the water from your comp-roofing into a food garden due to contaminants. Having to filter it properly essentially doubles the buy-in cost of a collection system. Of course you could build a filter simply with a layered sand and charcoal barrel but that still has to take into account cost and secure mounting as well as how you get the water through that filter.

I direct you to; Harvesting Rainwater from a composition (asphalt) roof | Biological sand water filters and roof water harvesting

There has been a question for a while about the viability of putting the water from your comp-roofing into a food garden due to contaminants. Having to filter it properly essentially doubles the buy-in cost of a collection system. Of course you could build a filter simply with a layered sand and charcoal barrel but that still has to take into account cost and secure mounting as well as how you get the water through that filter.

Great link and info. Thanks! :s0155:

Nice Redcap. That is a great deal. too bad you couldn't somehow put a compartment in and divide it off, fuel on one side, water on the other, I know the 2 never go together but it would be nice if you could.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top