JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good family friend has been suffering with severe depression for years and is finally seeking therapy, wanting to do it without pills. She shared with us that she is unable to resolve some childhood traumas until she confronts them head on (I guess instead of minimizing, drinking too much and trying to simply forget they ever happened). Her therapist has recommended working herself up into a full-on rage while visualizing her tormentors. Sort of a "work through it" scenario, I think. It's supposed to be very therapeutic.

Problem for her is that she has nowhere to get violently and noisily angry in her Beaverton condo.

I've seen various things on TV where people go and pay for the opportunity to smash stuff. Basically, explode and work out on inanimate objects, while picturing whatever/whomever they want to as the target. Baseball bats, sledge hammers, safety goggles, ear protection, crazy rage.

I looked up one place on Vancouver WA but haven't raised them on the phone yet. Any other places I might recommend to her closer to Portland/Beaverton? Hell, I might go too.

Cage fight.
Thunderdome.

Or even just ragin' out downtown, or literally anywhere in the city... plenty of transients are doing that now with no repercussions. Portland hipsters have taken note, and created groups like BLM and pantifa to let their inner angst out.

Actual suggestion is going to the forest, or even a shooting range... that would be therapeutic AND skill building

-Robert

I've heard of people going out in the woods to scream at the sky. I'd say bring an understanding friend along in case there's someone in earshot who might get the wrong impression. That or stay home and put a gag in your mouth.

A good family friend has been suffering with severe depression for years and is finally seeking therapy, wanting to do it without pills. She shared with us that she is unable to resolve some childhood traumas until she confronts them head on (I guess instead of minimizing, drinking too much and trying to simply forget they ever happened). Her therapist has recommended working herself up into a full-on rage while visualizing her tormentors. Sort of a "work through it" scenario, I think. It's supposed to be very therapeutic.

Problem for her is that she has nowhere to get violently and noisily angry in her Beaverton condo.

I've seen various things on TV where people go and pay for the opportunity to smash stuff. Basically, explode and work out on inanimate objects, while picturing whatever/whomever they want to as the target. Baseball bats, sledge hammers, safety goggles, ear protection, crazy rage.

I looked up one place on Vancouver WA but haven't raised them on the phone yet. Any other places I might recommend to her closer to Portland/Beaverton? Hell, I might go too.
Her therapist is telling her to throw a tantrum? I'd get a new therapist.

Swing tomahawk to make wood into smaller wood.

Doesn't require a commercial urban catharsis facility™, and you can use the wood afterwards for free, compliments of nature.

Last Edited:
My college rugby team did an annual fundraiser of a car smash. We had the local junk yard bring a car that was going to be scrapped and set it on a big tarp in the parking lot. We charged money to smash it with a sledge hammer, like a dollar for three hits to the body, sold/auctioned the windows and windshields for $25-40. We made hundreds of dollars in a couple hours on a springtime weekend afternoon, the college kids LOVED the catharsis of it, and at the end of the day, the junk yard came and picked up the car, which still weighed the same for scrap as when they dropped it off. Maybe find someone with a junk yard who will let her go at a car with a sledge hammer?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews