Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rabbit hunting this weekend near Salem Oregon

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by lxruiz3, Jun 9, 2010.

1. lxruiz3

lxruiz3 Wilsonville Oregon New Member

Hi fellow hunters,

I went out last Saturday towards Wamic Oregon, no freaking rabbits at all, so this time I will try going near Salem, does anyone of you know of a good place to get some rabbits this weeked, in the Willamette Valley.

Thanks in advance.

Leo

2. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

went around lost lake off of 26 in the coast range lots and lots and lots and they arent afraid of gunshots

bunny.jpg

3. lxruiz3

Thanks a lot Schwabdl, is it a hunting land? should I drive any particular road up there?

Thanks again

Leo

4. Schwabdl

cant hunt directly around the lake but the rest of the area is open we were about 20 minutes from the spruce run campground

5. lxruiz3

Great, I will go up there this weekend, I will let you know how it went, so just to recap, I take 26 towards the coast, do I pass camp 18 restaurant? I went to google and typed lost lake, it wants to take me to Mt. Hood.

Thanks

6. Oakley1wa

Oakley1wa Beaverton, Oregon, United States Member

7. lxruiz3

Thanks Oakley1wa, now I know where to go, finally my 12 year old daugther will see some action.

Thanks

Leo

8. Oakley1wa

Let me know if you have any luck, I may have to make a trip out there. I havent been out all winter

9. lxruiz3

I sure will, maybe I would be able to take some pics.

Leo

10. lxruiz3

Schwabdl, when was that picture taken, that's a good size rabbit.

11. Schwabdl

i think that pic was from last summer we were up there about a week ago and got a about a dozen between three of us in an hour they are all about that size just found a spur off of the main logging road that went back to a dead end looked like people camped there and there were several just watching us took a couple at about 200 yards but most were well inside 100 even the dog got one

12. lxruiz3

Great, hopefully I will have the same luck, did you got any rain last week, I am planning to start very early, maybe around 6 a.m.

13. Schwabdl

it was pretty dry while we were out it was about 11 when we were up there

14. Schwabdl

I would recomend bringing at least 1 bigger caliber rifle with you as I have scene coyotes and heard of cougar in the area.............if you have a cougar tag

15. lxruiz3

Great, thanks for the head's up, I will make sure to be ready. Will let you know how it was next Monday.

16. lxruiz3

Good morning Schwabdl,

I went to lost lake on Friday and Saturday, once I got a camping spot at the campgroud I went up Lost Lake Rd., there are a lot of dead end roads up there, anyway I drove past Lost Lake and while driving up the road I saw one rabbit, I shoot at it and it went down fast, however once I started dressing the animal I found some white spots on the liver, so I left it there, that was a bummer, after that I returned the next day and could not find the spruce you were talling me about, but it was a nice drive, at least I got to kill one.

Just wondering, the spruce you were talking about, was it before you get to Lost Lake or after?

Thanks

Leo

17. Oakley1wa

Ive never been up there but I was thinking about going out there this weekend... Maybe tonight over night and then shoot all day tomorrow. Anyone going out anywhere this weekend?

18. lxruiz3

Hi Oakley1wa ,

I did not had much luck, the drive is kind of fun, the rabbit that I shoot was on the road about 2 miles passing lost lake.

Good luck !

Let me know how it goes.

Leo