JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's no logic to the national argument around this. Too much emotional or agenda based nonsense.

Simple facts of the matter is there are some people in society (LEO) who legally carry guns in schools already. My argument has always been, if a cop can legally do that, as long as a teacher can pass all the same qualifications that a cop does, there is no difference and they should be able to. That would weed out people who are either mentally unfit or physically unfit to responsible possess firearms in the school setting.

First off, any discussion where a member uses the term "Common Sense Gun Control" in his suggestions isn't going to have much of a discussion, that's a big red flag here! What needs to happen is the schools need to do better at catching and preventing firearms and other weapons being carried into the buildings, not hard to do, but folks are going to have to swallow a pretty big anti freedom/privacy pill and allow the schools to use metal detectors and security staff with the authority to search students and their property, as well as secured manned entrances to prevent un authorized access ! Sounds pretty draconian, but that's how it's going to be most effective at stopping school shootings!

Anytime you disarm all the victims, innocent deaths result. Only lawmakers & progressives are able to deny the facts

Look at the shoplifting that has resulted from making theft of less than $1,000 into a misdemeanor--is there anybody here who couldn't have guessed the result?

Students and Teachers be like…

BBB89689-C3B5-4C66-B4F1-EECDC6B0B9CC.jpeg

First off, any discussion where a member uses the term "Common Sense Gun Control" in his suggestions isn't going to have much of a discussion, that's a big red flag here! What needs to happen is the schools need to do better at catching and preventing firearms and other weapons being carried into the buildings, not hard to do, but folks are going to have to swallow a pretty big anti freedom/privacy pill and allow the schools to use metal detectors and security staff with the authority to search students and their property, as well as secured manned entrances to prevent un authorized access ! Sounds pretty draconian, but that's how it's going to be most effective at stopping school shootings!
If you read the OP's entire piece (and not just what shows up in the website quote), then you'll see he's suggesting exactly what you're suggesting... :)

Sounds like the OP is saying teachers should have the right to carry so long as they can qual to the same level as local LE, and conduct their qual at the same time as a cost-saving measure? Could be wrong, that was a tough read.

School shootings are going to happen just like workplace shootings. Be nice to your peers and you will stand a better chance of coming out the other side on your feet.

I am in support of arming teachers and workers. If a shooter is moving from classroom to classroom I would rather my kids were stuck in a locked classroom with an armed teacher vs an unarmed teacher.

As a Dean of a school....
I would say consider the following :

If a school employee were to be armed , and need to shoot a school shooter..
Then , chances are , that employee will be shooting :
A student...maybe one they know or teach / have taught....
A former student , again one that they might have taught or know...

Also , worth considering is that they will probably be shooting this person in front of other students.

Now any of the above is not to be taken as Andy does not want to arm teachers or school staff members....

I am saying that if teachers and other school staff members , as well as those who suggest that they be armed....
Need to know what is being asked of the school employee and that the school employee understand what may need to be done.

To be blunt...
I have shot and killed before , while on various combat deployments.
I know and understand what it was like to come to terms with that.

However , those were strangers , out to kill or harm me or others in my charge.
Not someone that I knew , care about or have taught.
All in front of young very impressionable minds...young minds that I would have to face day , after day , afterwards.

Again I am not saying that school employees should not be armed.
All who do so...must understand what they are getting into...and I would add that the school should pay for any legal and medical fees which may occur.
Andy

As a Dean of a school....
I would say consider the following :

If a school employee were to be armed , and need to shoot a school shooter..
Then , chances are , that employee will be shooting :
A student...maybe one they know or teach / have taught....
A former student , again one that they might have taught or know...

Also , worth considering is that they will probably be shooting this person in front of other students.

Now any of the above is not to be taken as Andy does not want to arm teachers or school staff members....

I am saying that if teachers and other school staff members , as well as those who suggest that they be armed....
Need to know what is being asked of the school employee and that the school employee understand what may need to be done.

To be blunt...
I have shot and killed before , while on various combat deployments.
I know and understand what it was like to come to terms with that.

However , those were strangers , out to kill or harm me or others in my charge.
Not someone that I knew , care about or have taught.
All in front of young very impressionable minds...young minds that I would have to face day , after day , afterwards.

Again I am not saying that school employees should not be armed.
All who do so...must understand what they are getting into...and I would add that the school should pay for any legal and medical fees which may occur.
Andy
I think it could compare to one spouse having to shoot another spouse in self defense and in front of their children. Emotionally it would be difficult but many have done so and are probably glad to have had the choice to be able to defend themselves and the children.

I think it could compare to one spouse having to shoot another spouse in self defense and in front of their children. Emotionally it would be difficult but many have done so and are probably glad to have had the choice to be able to defend themselves and the children.
Its that word "probably" that can be problematic.

It may compare...or not.

My post was meant to show just what it is , that some people are actually asking others to do.
Andy

The "common sense gun control" was meant to be used as a joke. But what you said is exactly what I was saying if you read the full article.

The "common sense gun control" was meant to be used as a joke. But what you said is exactly what I was saying if you read the full article.
I tried to read the full article, but it seemed to me to be a monologue akin to what I've heard from some homeless people I've helped, albeit more cogent. Thoughts strung together, seemingly related, and also somewhat non-sequitur.
By the end of your paragraph about metal detectors and security detail, I was asking, "WTF is he trying to say?"
It became too hard to read.
I will add, your comment about "common sense gun control" may have been sarcastic, but it did not appear so. From this reader's perspective, you started out as a member of the "kool-aid idiot club".

sarcasm-detector.jpg

Some sarcasm is involved here so.....

IMHO.......the money spent with Police and/or Extra Security at a school's gate (manning metal detection machines) could be better spent. THAT especially applies to the "School Resource Officer" (Cop at the school). Yeah...........such a plushy assignment for a fully paid, trained and equipped officer.

Personally......I find the "militarization of schools" as troubling.

Yeah.....some schools don't even want military recruiters on campus. Or a student in a military uniform on campus when graduation time comes around.

Yeah.....that idea is NIXED.

More Cops?
Cops are Racist. And "Defund The Police".

Anyway, if a community has so many extra cops. They should be assigned to do social work in the communities that actually want them around.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top