JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good! Buh bye. :s0162:
This thread was in and out of my mind all yesterday after I tuned out about 11:30am. The more I thought about it the more annoyed I became. I googled "Toxic Masculinity" AND "Toxic Femininity". Then this morning I was on one of those short-video viewing sessions where you go from vid to vid? I stumbled on Jordan Peterson. He's my new favorite common sense guy. He pretty explains that "Toxic Masculinity" for what it is. Total garbage!

This "guy?", or female of the species, sounds like a robot. All kinds of common sense responses that pretty much get ignored, and what ever it is he/she (They?) ignore those responses and continues on with the same stuff.
Actually, I thought they did a good job of articulating why they felt the way they did, I just disagree as I feel addressing personal responsibility and individual circumstances are key to making a real difference. It seems I was not alone, either. No need to beat up on them. Good intentions, and all.

/thread

emojis cannot express my reaction to this post. There is coffee on my keyboard...
I have to show CD's remarks to my husband when he has his lunch. I was reading some of this thread to him early in the morning.

Cate

Actually, I thought they did a good job of articulating why they felt the way they did, I just disagree as I feel addressing personal responsibility and individual circumstances are key to making a real difference. It seems I was not alone, either. No need to beat up on them. Good intentions, and all.
+1

Well I feel like this guy was doing the same as those telling me I'm racist because I was born with white skin. Not only am a racist, now I must also suffer from Toxic Masculinity because I believe that men and woman are different. That men can never be equal to women and woman can never be equal to men.

@Mikej

Since you seemingly want to keep piling on even after I've said I was letting it go:

I didn't say anything about you personally nor any other poster who responded to my comments in this thread. Even if I might have thought it in some instances, not once did I say "This part of your response is exemplary of the sort of toxic masculinity I'm talking about" or make any sort of personal attacks or accusations against you or anyone else. I very intentionally tried to keep my arguments at a macro-societal, cultural level and not make things personal with those on the other side of the argument. I haven't questioned yours or anybody else's masculinity.

If you're left feeling attacked or that I'm putting those sort of things on you, then please let me point you towards the concept of psychological projection, "the process of displacing one's feelings onto a different person, animal, or object. The term is most commonly used to describe defensive projection—attributing one's own unacceptable urges to another... Unconscious discomfort can lead people to attribute unacceptable feelings or impulses to someone else to avoid confronting them. Projection allows the difficult trait to be addressed without the individual fully recognizing it in themselves." (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/projection)

If you're feeling squirmy because you're thinking I've called you sexist but I HAVEN'T in actuality done that, then you should take a look in the mirror and recognize that maybe you're projecting onto me instead of honestly confronting personal beliefs like you've expressed in a number of ways in the thread, "that women aren't equal to men" which ARE patently sexist.

Now I'll really let it go. Take care everybody!
Josh

Last Edited:
Ok, I'm not going to keep beating my head against a wall of people who believe in strict biological determinism and don't seem to believe that cultural influences have anything to do with anything.

Unless you are able to point to some other unifying or common factor(s) that connect the perpetrators of virtually all mass shootings or propose other tangible steps we can take to lessen such occurrences, I'm personally going to continue to believe that the one common factor (males) is where we should focus our attention in mitigating the incidence of such future shootings.

I wish you all the best!
So you wanna replace biological determinism with... biological reductionism?

I don't believe that "masculinity" is the problem, I think there are plenty of admirable qualities associated with masculinity, I'm happy to be a man myself, and am NOT "man-hating." Rather (as I've said repeatedly in this thread) there are specific traits that society encourages boys and men towards such as emotional repression and an encouragement towards violence as a principle problem-solving tool that are the issue.

Of course women commit horrific crimes too but look at the statistics of who perpetuates violent crime and you'll see it's not even close in terms of gender disparity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_crime#In_the_United_States

"A 2013 global study on homicide by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime found that males accounted for about 95 percent of all convicted homicide perpetrators worldwide."

Just to pull out a few stats relevant to the particular crimes you described:
  • Of children under age 5 killed by a parent, the rate for biological father conviction was slightly higher than for biological mothers.
  • However, of children under 5 killed by someone other than their parent, 80% of the people that were convicted were males.
Here's some more from the link above:
2011 arrest data from the FBI:[52]

• Males constituted 98.9% of those arrested for forcible rape[52]
  • Males constituted 87.9% of those arrested for robbery[52]
  • Males constituted 85.0% of those arrested for burglary[52]
  • Males constituted 83.0% of those arrested for arson.[52]
  • Males constituted 81.7% of those arrested for vandalism.[52]
  • Males constituted 81.5% of those arrested for motor-vehicle theft.[52]
  • Males constituted 79.7% of those arrested for offenses against family and children.[52]
  • Males constituted 77.8% of those arrested for aggravated assault[52]

Given that men make up less than half of the population in the USA, how can you look at those lopsided stats and NOT think "there must be something about how men are interacting with the world around them" that's an issue here?
I love it......numbers everywhere.

Yet.....Americans are not allowed (anymore) to mention RACE in an equation.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Some watching/listening for people that believe "Toxic Masculinity" is a real thing that can, or needs to, be corrected.

Define toxic masculinity.

New glasses akshuly. Guy finally talked me into a pair for screen use, so focus further away. Now I can lean back, relax and unexpected laughs only reach my keyboard.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top