JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The military wanted the slightly higher pressure and velocity of 5.56 over 223. If I remember right because they need an abused rifle to continue to run in the field, and a bit more tumbling effect on a target at distance. I'm no expert though so correct me if I'm wrong. Generally you will see a bit better accuracy from quality 223 rounds. Some has to do with the rifle though. A lot of 556 will have sealed primers to keep moisture out, and annealing, where a lot of 223 won't

You're wrong.

tac

I would assume that my rifle is capable of using 5.56. I get the idea pretty much all modern AR15s are okay with both? I can't see the designation on the barrel, guessing it's under the hand guard.

And thanks for the comeback(s)

The designation is on the lower receiver Mike, it should be marked "multi cal" to accept both 5.56 &.223.;)

The designation is on the lower receiver Mike, it should be marked "multi cal" to accept both 5.56 &.223.;)

You are correct Caveman! Unfortunately I don't get out to shoot it enough, only twice since last Thanksgiving. i probably even saw the "Caliber: MULTI" on the lower and just forgot.

Just doing my small part to help keep the community safe.
Now get out this weekend and OWN that rifle.....:D

Go out on weekends?? Do you go fishing or to the mountains on weekends? HA! I stay close to home when every one else is out and about. The steelhead are in the Columbia so that's my day off for the most part, though I still haven't got a clipped fish.:(

Luckily Mike found that "multi-caliber" designation on his receiver, and bought a built-up rifle from Curt's.

However, before this thread gets put to sleep, in these days of parts guns from stripped receiver's, it probably should be noted that you don't always come across copious markings on barrels.
I am looking at a loose 1/12 barrel that only says "C MP Chrome Bore". So the point I am trying to make is if you don't know who has built a particular rifle, you can't always be sure of what you have.

By the way Unionguy...As you mentioned you were about to buy in bulk, you could cheaply try out that PMC M855. Bimart sells it in twenty rd. boxes from time to time for about nine bucks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads