JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at buying some bulk ammo, while prices are reasonable, for 5.56mm 62gr both are M855: IMI (Israeli) newly made OR PMC X-TAC. Anyone have experience with either or both of these? Price is almost the same. thanks!

I'm looking at buying some bulk ammo, while prices are reasonable, for 5.56mm 62gr both are M855: IMI (Israeli) newly made OR PMC X-TAC. Anyone have experience with either or both of these? Price is almost the same. thanks!
Both have a good reputation. I haven't shot either, but I have shot a bit of Federal 855. For the last year or two it's a little overpriced for my purpose - good accuracy at 100+ yards for the money. I'm still expecting a run on 223 and 9mm, so if you've found a price you like, I think you'll be happy with either one. If it were me, I'd go with the IMI just because I expect more from them.

Check out freedom munitions if your looking for range ammo. Its good, its cheap and if you its your first time buy, you can get free shipping.

If your stocking it, go IMI. I think its fully NATO spec, id have to pull down my case of m855 to check but I think its NATO stamped, not sure about the PMC

All three AR15's have never had an issue with any of those brands. I do shoot more freedom munitions as I've never had an issue with any of their reloads in pistol or rifle and you can save a decent chunk of change.

If you don't mind....Would you, or anyone for that matter, explain briefly why 5.56 over .223 or visa versa? I'm new to the game.:rolleyes:

I have an AR15, first one, and I just bought Curt's Discount house reman .223. It shoots fine as far as I can tell. The AR is also a Curt's in-house built. "Rogue Defense"

5.56 is a slightly hotter round, but whilst .223 will fit and fire fine in a 5.56 barrel, it's dangerous to switch that and try to fire a 5.56 in a .223 barrel.

The military wanted the slightly higher pressure and velocity of 5.56 over 223. If I remember right because they need an abused rifle to continue to run in the field, and a bit more tumbling effect on a target at distance. I'm no expert though so correct me if I'm wrong. Generally you will see a bit better accuracy from quality 223 rounds. Some has to do with the rifle though. A lot of 556 will have sealed primers to keep moisture out, and annealing, where a lot of 223 won't

5.56 is a slightly hotter round, but whilst .223 will fit and fire fine in a 5.56 barrel, it's dangerous to switch that and try to fire a 5.56 in a .223 barrel.

I would assume that my rifle is capable of using 5.56. I get the idea pretty much all modern AR15s are okay with both? I can't see the designation on the barrel, guessing it's under the hand guard.

And thanks for the comeback(s)

If you don't mind....Would you, or anyone for that matter, explain briefly why 5.56 over .223 or visa versa? I'm new to the game.:rolleyes:

I have an AR15, first one, and I just bought Curt's Discount house reman .223. It shoots fine as far as I can tell. The AR is also a Curt's in-house built. "Rogue Defense"
Unfortunately, that question will get the same reaction as those on the best oil for your car and best gun cleaning solvent or lube. There is no difference in the bullet casing, but the chamber is more robust in a 5.56 barrel. As far as accuracy, not much of a difference for us mere mortals. But for the ninjas out there than can shoot the eyballs out of a gnat at 1000 yards while doing a backflip off of a humvee, they say that one is more accurate than the other.

I used to be able to do that but blew out my knee doing it while over in the sandbox as a member of seal team 6! ....... Ya, that's the ticket!!!!

Generally, if it says 5.56 its ok to shoot both. if it says .223, you should stick with .223. Now, I think the consensus is it SHOULD be ok to shoot both. Now if you do shoot 556 out of a 223 gun and it blows up you cant expect any sort of help from the manufacturer.

That's what great about NWFA...Ask any ol' question about firearms/ammo/reloading/accessories/etc. and ya' get answers!

I would assume that my rifle is capable of using 5.56. I get the idea pretty much all modern AR15s are okay with both? I can't see the designation on the barrel, guessing it's under the hand guard.

And thanks for the comeback(s)

Your rifle should have some indicator on it about the chambering. One should never make assumptions. Do you not know what twist rate your barrel is, either?

Since you bought the rifle from Curt's Discount, just give them a call and ask them what it is that they sold you. Ask them if it is chambered for 5.56, or .223, and what twist rate the barrel has.

Last Edited:
I said don't fire 5.56 in a .223 barrel for a reason, they are *NOT* the same.

You should be able to find the calibre marked on the barrel, it might be under the guard, but sometimes it's just hiding in plain sight.

This is a little long, but highlights the actual differences and the issues with them.

This one is more concise with more technical details, but both will cover what you should know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top