JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Different diameters? Would using a cleaning rod rated for .22-.27 cal in a .30 cal cause issues? Being the frugal individual that I am, (Read cheap if you like), I'd rather not get two different rods at $39.00 each if it's not (too) necessary.

Thank You!

Sooo, let me phrase it this way......Do you use the same one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod on your .308, .30-06 that you use on your AR 15? Any issues with flexing using the smaller rod in ,30cal?

I can't speak to the cleaning rod in particular, but I've used fiberglass rods doing electrical work - whether pushing or pulling, even with some resistance, when they flex, they simply hit the sidewall of the conduit and keep going - and there is a pretty big difference in diameter between the rod and what we're passing through sometimes. And we have to push them no only through straight conduit, but through bends up to 90 degrees.

If flex is your main concern, I would say the difference between a .22 caliber bore and .30 caliber bore should likely cause you no issues.

Not sure if that perspective helps, but thought I'd share it anyway.

Pull it through, like you would with an OTIS; then you never have to worry about it. :)

Ha! Wait a whole day for a response and it comes while I'm typing!

I never thought of it that way. That's a good point! From reading it doesn't appear it makes a huge deal running the brush both ways in the barrel. I'm not talking ultra high grade match barrel or anything like that. And I've already decided nothing but fiber or brass/bronze bristles.

I'm new to cleaning rifles and consider them a PIA compared to hand guns! AR, AK and .30 Carbine seem to get a lot of green/blue on the patches from not many rounds. So what a lot of work to take the bush on and off so many times.

Yeah @etrain16 I do visualize the flexing and didn't think it would be an issue, but being new to the long gun thing just want the input from more 'Seasoned?" rifle guys.

I wanted to get the Tipton Gun Butler ..http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-100333-Gun-Butler/dp/B0036FFQAU..Cleaning
The guns laying across the kitchen table on an old T-shirt and brushing the barrel SUCKS! And at the same time would get the cleaning rod. The three piece rods, aluminum/brass just feel wrong.

An undersized cleaning rod will not fill the barrel bore. And won't be inline to the bore as well as a rod closer to the correct caliber size. One that better fills the barrel bore.

So lets say you use a .22 cal. rod in a 30 cal. barrel?
As you insert the rod. You can have a steeper insertion angle at the muzzle opening. And can more easily shave material off the rod on the sharp 90 degree machined edge at the barrel opening.

Even if you only clean by pulling the rod out to clean. You still slide in down the barrel past the sharp edge near the crown first.

Last Edited:
I use bore snakes a lot now, but I have a carbon rod for .22 that I use on a lot of guns. It's supposed to be far less likely to scratch anything than a metal rod. Just don't put way too big a patch on the end so you have to force it through, and you'll be fine. I have the Otis kit too, but at the bench I still find rods better. At the range, Otis or BoreSnake.

Not carbon, but I have a 22 cal one piece rod for cleaning my rifles. It's steel and coated heavily in a plastic. I use it on my larger bore guns using a guide.

I'd say your plan should work fine.

Thanks for the input guys.....

An undersized cleaning rod will not fill the barrel bore. And won't be inline to the bore as well as a rod closer to the correct caliber size. One that better fills the barrel bore.

So lets say you use a .22 cal. rod in a 30 cal. barrel?
As you insert the rod. You can have a steeper insertion angle at the muzzle opening. And can more easily shave material off the rod on the sharp 90 degree machined edge at the barrel opening.

Even if you only clean by pulling the rod out to clean. You still slide in down the barrel past the sharp edge near the crown first.

Medic! thanks, this is good, what I was looking for. If I was shooting some ultra fancy ($$$) match barrel in long range comp you bet I'd be anal about cleaning rod size! Only running from breach to muzzle etc. I'll go with the .22 rod for now and maybe pick up the .30 cal in the future.

I've had an issue getting a patch down the barrel even though I've cut them smaller. I'm using the Gunslick patches and brass jags. I've had to go to those Hoppe's synthetic .22 size patches instead of the nice cotton patches.

Damn, I'm running out of room to put stuff. This hobby sure requires a lot of accouterments for proper participation!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top