JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not going to say these are the best or "must-do's" ... but as far as my 10/22 goes out of all the things i've done to it my favorite are the Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release, Bi-Pod, and a large quantity of BX-25's and ammo. I have a cheapo simmons 3x9-22 and thread needles with it all day. I have a TacSol fluted bull barrel and a Hogue overmold basically just for looks, the rifle shot the same with my wood stock and orignal barrel. Oh, i also have some no name extended mag release that actual holds some functional value.

in summary:

Auto Bolt Release
Bipod
BX-25's
Ammo, targets, and a lazy sunday.

bring a camp chair, folding card table, pick up a burrito on your way to your favorite spot - enjoy being an American. :cool:

Ura-Ki, this thread got me thinking too. Had to take mine out and stare at it for a minute. Maybe a new Magpul stock would be a good idea. Have to think on that. My 11 year old shoots it more than I do now. I should try and get him to think about upgrades for it if he wants. Lil bastard is an awesome shot with iron sights. He hates using the scope. Oh to have good eyesight again! LOL
Put a peep sight on it and he'll (I mean the little bastard, lol) love you.

I will second what AndyinEverson, Alexx and others have said.

Building up a 10/22 can be a whole lot of fun and/or expensive if you let it. That said, I can highly recommend KIDD Innovative Designs. IMO and many others, Tony Kidd makes the finest 10/22 upgrades known to man. I have installed quite a bit of his parts on my 10/22 and they are all great. A few parts that would immediately be an improvement from the 10/22 factory parts, that also won't break the bank, would be the Bolt Handle Charging Assembly, Auto Bolt Release, Magazine Latch Plunger and as mentioned above, the Bolt Buffer. As also mentioned above, your best asset is keep shooting and find out what suits your/your guns needs.

10/22® and Ruger® 10/22® aftermarket trigger, barrel and parts by KIDD Innovative Design

I have a bone stock 10/22 (black w/ synthetic stock version) with an old 3-9x Bushnell "sport" scope on it, and it WILL shoot someone's pupil out at 50yds if you do your part.

Ditto on that, Stomper! I have the black syn stock version, (my favorite) and a thirty year old walnut stocked one! They both shoot as well as I can shoot and more. :) I may set the black one up with Appleseed sights, sling, etc!

Accessorize with ammo! (I think this is in Canada.. buggers).

View attachment 336007

I think it'd be neat to put a nice aperture sight on a 10-22 instead of a scope. and a sling.. and that's it
That is one of the things I like about several of the .22's Ruger puts out. They sell so damn many that people start offering "stuff" for every taste. Not to mention most of it is so damn simple to put on anyone can do it. For most stuff you don't have to pay a pro to do the work. Some people go pretty overboard and turn the 10/22 into something capable of Olympic competition which gets into some serious cash. Not to mention if they try to sell later it makes it hard to find a buyer to get the money back. It is their money though so what the hell if they enjoyed it why not. My normal first thing on any .22 is the trigger. Once you try one with a real nice trigger it spoils you. There is something for everyone who has one of these guns and most of it is dead simple to install.

yeah i understand just shoot the damn thing and honestly i probably cant shoot better then it comes stock BUT i really enjoy working on my own guns and modifying them as a hobby so thats why i do it. i realize it doesnt NEED anything. and ammo is always deffinatley the priority but after that i choose to use some of my money on something that is fun for me.
If you like to tinker with them the 10-22 will be a lot of fun for you. No end to the stuff you can do to play with it.

That is one of the things I like about several of the .22's Ruger puts out. They sell so damn many that people start offering "stuff" for every taste. Not to mention most of it is so damn simple to put on anyone can do it. For most stuff you don't have to pay a pro to do the work. Some people go pretty overboard and turn the 10/22 into something capable of Olympic competition which gets into some serious cash. Not to mention if they try to sell later it makes it hard to find a buyer to get the money back. It is their money though so what the hell if they enjoyed it why not. My normal first thing on any .22 is the trigger. Once you try one with a real nice trigger it spoils you. There is something for everyone who has one of these guns and most of it is dead simple to install.

Exactly. The 10/22 is the most highly accessorized firearm out there. Haven't done a trigger job yet...but I'll be needing to spoil myself soon :D

If you are budget-conscious, the auto bolt release is a simple matter of filing the hook out of the original one. If you have done any trigger work on other guns, the 10-22 is ridiculously easy to fix yourself. The extended mag release is a worthwhile addition. On one of mine I drilled a hole in the original one and pressed a 3/32" needle bearing into it. Simple and effective.
None of these are necessary, but they do improve your appreciation the gun.

Brimstone Gunsmithing in East Vancouver/Camas did a really nice job with the trigger pull on another weapon of mine. Good price and FAST turnaround. They offer options for the 10/22 as well.

<broken link removed>

1. Volquartsen target hammer kit: $38.00
2. Extended mag release (you pick the style):
3. Bolt release modification: $0.00
4. Kidd bolt buffer: $10.00
5. Extended bolt handle
6. Re-contour and polish rear of bolt body

These mods help ease of operation, and also help with accuracy. 10-22's are fun little rifles to shoot.

Like others have said, shoot it and see what ammo it likes. Just about a must when dealing with these 10-22's...:

Super dittos on this list. The bolt buffer and the trigger mod I think make the biggest difference.

I have a Kevlar stock and a bull barrel on mine. Built it to shoot ground squirrels and .22lr silhouette (The most fun you can have in wintertime with a 22). I bought it used with a beat up stock, a filthy receiver, and a rusted barrel. Much better to rehab a beater than buy a new one and spend a fortune on mods. But of all, the trigger was important to me. The only rifle I like better is the bolt action Ruger.

P.S. You can make a very good recoil/bolt buffer out of a length of the right sized plastic dowel rod. Cut it to length and install and you will have left over for when there is wear to do it over and over again. It really does make a noticeable difference even tho .22 is already soft shooting.

Hey older guys (like me), remember when we were kids playing with 3" plastic soldiers (green Americans, gray Germans and tan Japanese/Chinese)? Epic battles were won and lost in back yards everywhere.

Then along came the GI Joe action figure. By that point, I was into pellet guns, explosive fireworks, mini bikes, cigarettes and stuff, so the whole "doll" thing just didn't wash with me. But damn that dude had some gear! Helmets, belts, shovels, packs, magazines, canteens, mess kits, grenades, knives, pistols, rifles, machine guns, radios, etc., etc., etc.

Enter the Ruger 10/22 with all the ultra-cool add-on stuff and mods you can possibly imagine. Way mo' betta, yes?

Last Edited:
It's funny....I've been contemplating what to do to mine for 20 years...lol...

Bought it in '96, put it in a synthetic stock in '99 and added a red dot. Did the "auto release" mod like 15 minutes after I discovered it ( early internet days :) ) and made my own extended release. Upgraded the red dot to a TRS-25 a year or two ago.

I keep telling myself I will put a bull barrel on it, or upgrade the trigger, but never do.....It's been a great little gun, have put at least 50K rounds through it and it just keeps going...

would a new barrel probably be the thing that increases the accuracy on one of these the most. barrel and trigger i would imagine?

I am really looking forward to the DIY projects one can do to this gun, I love to do that kind of stuff

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top