JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I just picked up a Winchester Model 55 at a garage sale. It is a top-loading, single shot, automatic .22

It struck me as being an odd design and being so intrigued, I purchased it. The little info that I have found online has been somewhat helpful but I am still having some issues figuring out the action.

According to what I see as well as what I have read, you pull the slide action back and release it and in doing so you lock the bolt back. Then you push a bullet down the loading chute and seat it in the chamber while at the same time engaging the safety. Then you disengage the safety and squeeze the trigger which releases the entire bolt with a fixed firing pin, firing the bullet, ejecting the spent casing through the bottom of the receiver, and setting up for your next round.

What bothers me is that it appears that the bolt is "frozen". I can pull the slide but it seems to have no effect on the bolt which seems to already be locked in place. Squeezing the trigger has no effect whatsoever. I have taken the barrel and receiver off of the stock to get a better look but no further insight was gained.

Are any of you familiar with this rifle and if so, is there anything more I need to know?

I am not opposed to getting repairs done as the rifle is in great shape otherwise for being as old as it is. I have heard that it can be a sweet shooter and am looking forward to teaching my son to shoot with it. I got a sweet deal on it too as I bought it in a package deal with an Ithaca M1911 I also found at the garage sale.....

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-D

I bought one of these when I was a kid, I really liked it. If you take it completely apart you might find the bolt is just tight in the receiver. It is really a simple design. My wife made me sell mine in the mid seventies. Are you interested in selling it?
Don

Hi all,

I just picked up a Winchester Model 55 at a garage sale. It is a top-loading, single shot, automatic .22

It struck me as being an odd design and being so intrigued, I purchased it. The little info that I have found online has been somewhat helpful but I am still having some issues figuring out the action.

According to what I see as well as what I have read, you pull the slide action back and release it and in doing so you lock the bolt back. Then you push a bullet down the loading chute and seat it in the chamber while at the same time engaging the safety. Then you disengage the safety and squeeze the trigger which releases the entire bolt with a fixed firing pin, firing the bullet, ejecting the spent casing through the bottom of the receiver, and setting up for your next round.

What bothers me is that it appears that the bolt is "frozen". I can pull the slide but it seems to have no effect on the bolt which seems to already be locked in place. Squeezing the trigger has no effect whatsoever. I have taken the barrel and receiver off of the stock to get a better look but no further insight was gained.

Are any of you familiar with this rifle and if so, is there anything more I need to know?

I am not opposed to getting repairs done as the rifle is in great shape otherwise for being as old as it is. I have heard that it can be a sweet shooter and am looking forward to teaching my son to shoot with it. I got a sweet deal on it too as I bought it in a package deal with an Ithaca M1911 I also found at the garage sale.....

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-D

At this point, I am not quite ready to sell it. I still need to get it fixed, there is a member here that has offered to lend some assistance, I just need to give him a call. Once I get it fixed and I can find out for myself what kind of rifle it is, I will have a better idea of where I stand...

This is the very least I can do for a guy who found an unusual old Winchester AND an Ithaca 1911 at a garage sale! Putting a lie to those who claim, "There just aren't any good gun deals anymore!" No charge for this service unless pics required to be rotated. Drive Safely.

PB050083.jpg

PB050082.jpg

PB050081.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA