JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rigid..

Runs lifetime warranty on drill, batteries and chargers... impact driver + drill is like $200~, upgrade to brushless if you can.

$179 for brushed kit
$279 for brushless kit

Last Edited:
@orygun "More powerful than me" is a pretty low bar... remember, I'm the guy whose girlfriend jokes about having more pecs than I do? :( LOL

Bearing in mind the fact that I need to keep things compact and multipurpose (I have to deal with people who second-guess my TOILET PAPER spending, so it'll be easier to shut the Evil Old Ones up if I snag something that can be useful around the house too, though I expect them to commandeer and "forget to return" it regularly) and useful away from outlets, I think you guys have me down to a couple options.
RIDGID 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit-R860052K - The Home Depot
Makita XFD01RW 18V Compact 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit - - Amazon.com

Both only have 3yr warranties, though... if Ridgid really were lifetime I'd have dropped the extra thirty bucks in a heartbeat. Now it's a matter of deciding and looking for coupon codes... I have a rule about "NEVER pay full price if you can avoid it by honest means." :)

Thanks, guys!

@orygun "More powerful than me" is a pretty low bar... remember, I'm the guy whose girlfriend jokes about having more pecs than I do? :( LOL

Bearing in mind the fact that I need to keep things compact and multipurpose (I have to deal with people who second-guess my TOILET PAPER spending, so it'll be easier to shut the Evil Old Ones up if I snag something that can be useful around the house too, though I expect them to commandeer and "forget to return" it regularly) and useful away from outlets, I think you guys have me down to a couple options.
RIDGID 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit-R860052K - The Home Depot
Makita XFD01RW 18V Compact 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit - - Amazon.com

Both only have 3yr warranties, though... if Ridgid really were lifetime I'd have dropped the extra thirty bucks in a heartbeat. Now it's a matter of deciding and looking for coupon codes... I have a rule about "NEVER pay full price if you can avoid it by honest means." :)

Thanks, guys!
I dunno if I would do that.
According to the commercials I see on TV, if you have a Rigid for more than 4 hours you're supposed to seek medical attention.

Just sayin'.

ROTFLMAO:p:D:p:D That's funny right there Jamie6.5 Never even saw it comin!

Seriously, I would still go Makita, the batteries interchange with more of the tools in the line up, they charge up faster, and the biggest one of all, you will still be able to buy new batteries in 10 years!!! Makita and Dewalt are the only two companies that sell batteries after a tool goes out of production! I have a Makita cordless 9.6V drill that is about 15 years old, and I just bought two brand new batteries at Depot a few weeks ago! Try that with any other tool maker!

You will not get consensus from so many good choices. Everybody has their own favorites.

I'm a retired pipe fitter and sprinkler fitter. I have drilled thousands upon thousands of holes over a lot of years in every substance imaginable. And I've seen a pretty dramatic progression of power tools, both corded and rechargeable.

I could order and buy any brand, any model, of any tool available, without question, and without any regard to cost. And I've used them all. There are many great choices. But for me...I finally standardized on De Walt rechargeable tools. They just always seemed to work better, and last longer.

WAYNO.

Thanks, @WAYNO --my main thought was a filter, look not for "The ONE" but for several brands that the community as a whole has generally had good luck with. Not so much "pick me out a drill" as "help me narrow the field to a few candidates and eliminate the definite junk." :)

ROTFLMAO:p:D:p:D That's funny right there Jamie6.5 Never even saw it comin!

Seriously, I would still go Makita, the batteries interchange with more of the tools in the line up, they charge up faster, and the biggest one of all, you will still be able to buy new batteries in 10 years!!! Makita and Dewalt are the only two companies that sell batteries after a tool goes out of production! I have a Makita cordless 9.6V drill that is about 15 years old, and I just bought two brand new batteries at Depot a few weeks ago! Try that with any other tool maker!

DeWalt maybe, I have thrown out 3 Dewalt cordless drills in the last 35 years because etiher I could not get the replacement batteries or the cost for 1 battery was more than the cost of a new comparable drill with 2 batteries. Makita's will last a long time if you keep buying the batteries, but were always heavier than most. 17 years ago before I became disabled and could not work I had settled on Ryobi cordless drills at 9.6 v. When I went to replace them with one 4 years ago after 12 years of use, I got a new Ryobi 18v with 2 Lithium‑ion Batteries for $70.00 on sale. Cost less, has more power and way longer battery life than any I have ever had. But I still own a 1\2" Makita, 1\2" Milwaukee, 2 3\8" Black & Decker and several other corded drills.

But I have not used any tools of my tools on an on a job situation in 18 years so now any experience or opinions I have on tools is severely outdated for on the job. I have sold off probably over 1\2 to 2\3rds of the tools I used to have and still have more than I realistically need or can use. I guess I am somewhat of a hoarder in some respects.

Last Edited:
I became a DeWalt fan working as an electrician for years. I used their cordless drills daily and drilled everything from steel (stainless and regular), aluminum, wood, brick, concrete, you name it, I've probably drilled it. I've had to drill with regular bits, step bits, forstner bits, hole saws and auger bits. I never had a DeWalt fail, and when you've got a good battery, they can run a long time. My cordless at home are all DeWalt, including a reciprocating saw and small circular saw. I've got a 1/2" 18V model, haven't tried the Lithium Ion models yet, but I hear good things about them too.

I've also been a Makita fan. And among corded tools, I've been a fan of Milwaukie and Rigid. Just depends on the job.

I'm assuming you already know this, but when you're drilling that aluminum, go slow and use some cutting oil if you have some available. I've found that worked best when working with aluminum. YMMV.

6" hole saw building my corn hole tables.. Wrists were sore by the time those were done.

The big Milwaukee's have a hub on the top that is threaded for a 3/4" pipe extension handle. I use one 24" long and it really improves the ability to hold it. That said, it knocked me off a ladder back during my contracting days. I was using a 2" ship auger to drill the top plate for a service riser and for some reason someone had driven about half a dozen 16d nails in the exact location I was drilling. If the bit had contacted the nails at 90 degrees it would have simply cut them off but the bit was parallel to them. The bit stopped turning but the motor didn't and I went flying.

Another vote for Rigid. Their 1/2" cordless is a torque beast. Jumping through the hoops to get the lifetime warranty can be a pain if purchased online, but don't give up. It can be done with a little persistence. Lifetime warranty on batteries will pay off big someday. Go for the four hour batteries if you can. Very nice batteries. All my cordless drills and drivers are now Rigid.
Those who commented "go corded" are right. If you have a long demanding job, that is the way to go. I too like milwaukee for corded tools.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top