Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question for Portland Metro Area people who hike and camp

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BattleReadyBunny, Dec 23, 2013.

1. BattleReadyBunny

BattleReadyBunny Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA Member

Hey, so I want to explore different hiking and camping places near the Portland Metro area on the Oregon side. I've been going with a buddy to a few of Washington places. Or possibly a few Washington ones near the Oregon border. I've been going wayyy up north in washington with my buddy.

I like to go hiking out in the woods with my bug out bag, enjoy nature.

Usually, I carry my bug out bag, my ar, my glock and afew extra mags, a few knives, paracord along with other stuff in my bag.
    *The firearms is to scare away wildlife if any bother me, god forbid a bear comes and tries to cuddle me.

Much like James Yaeger's bug out bag videos.

Just wondering if there are any deep forest areas that will allow me to hike and camp that's far away from civilization on the oregon side of the portland metro area or closer to the oregon border in Washington. I'd like to go out for Christmas eve and Christmas.

Any ideas would help. Thanks

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Forest park, The whole Columbia gorge etc.

3. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Govt Camp area, elk Creek, Diamond Mill, Horse camp, etc.

Lots of trails and just other hikers, horse riders and motor cycles, but no problems getting off the beaten path.

Beware it is a rain forest.

4. BattleReadyBunny

A lot of public hikign and camping places i found do not allow firearms. I'd just feel safer having my guns, and I'd like to be super out of the way so no one would bother me. Also a lot of places do not allow you to build a fire

5. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That may be difficult to find close to Portland. I suspect you will need to drive at least an hour to find places.

6. BattleReadyBunny

Down for a hour or even 2 hour drive. I used to drive 4hrs, so anything is better

7. Outdoorxj

Outdoorxj Wilsonville Active Member

Did you find any spots. That sounds pretty cool

8. BattleReadyBunny

Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Washington off I-14

Wanna check it out in person this spring when I finish updating my gear and when I get back from Colorado

3MTA3 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

This shouldnt be hard to do in the Tillamook state forrest. Guns are allowed and also fires as long as its not a posted no fire danger level.

10. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Look in the used bookstores for a series of trail guides by Don and Roberta Lowe. Really great hikes and tons of trails. Camping areas are noted as well.

Indian Heaven, an area between Mt Adams and Mt. St. Helens is a great area that flies under the radar.

11. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

No open carrying "loaded" anywhere in Multnomah county without a CHL or unless hunting. It doesn't matter how far you are in the woods.

12. Father of four

Multnomah County tightens its gun control laws | Politics | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

"PORTLAND, Ore. - Multnomah County Commissioners unanimously passed a gun control ordinance on Thursday, which will go into effect in 30 days.

The goal was to bring the county's gun laws more in line with those in Portland. The new ordinance will:

Prohibit possession of a loaded firearm in a public place.
    Prohibit the discharge of a firearm within the county's boundaries.
    Prohibit endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm.
    Require that the theft or loss of a firearm be reported within 48 hours.
    Extend the curfew hours for minors on parole and probation for a charge related to a gun.

What if I have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License?

As required by State law, the ordinance exempts concealed handgun permit holders, and others, from the loaded open carry provisions.

What do you mean by a “public place?”

As defined by State law “public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation. ORS 161.015(10).

Does this mean I can’t hunt in Multnomah County?

This ordinance will not affect licensed hunters engaged in lawful hunting.

What about gun ranges?

This ordinance does not prohibit a person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.
    If I am on National Forestry land within Multnomah County, do the discharge and possession of loaded weapon requirements still apply?

Yes.

...."

13. Father of four

All unconstitutional 2nd Amendment infringements in my view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Shall not be infringed" Unless laws or ordinances are passed?

Martini_Up and (deleted member) like this.
  14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Rabbit hunting is open year round. All you need is a hunting license.
    "Yes sir, Mr. Officer, I was rabbit hunting." "See that target over there, he was hiding behind it."
    "Can't believe I missed him after all of those shots I took"

15. BattleReadyBunny

Hunting rabbit with my Scar-H lol! jk.

Thanks guys. I am a WA Resident and lease property out in Oregon, have both my OR CHL and WA CWP

16. Ian1816

Ian1816 Oregon City Active Member

What are you basing this on?

17. BattleReadyBunny

National Forest follow local law, WA allows open carry, and concealed carry with a permit.

State Parks do not allow them if i recall