JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up one (well, two) from Coctailer. Not being particularly knowledgeable on used rifles, I was wondering about the necessity of checking headspace on these prior to firing them? Seems like the prudent thing to do from what I am reading, but was wondering what those of you who actually own and shoot them think? Is it cheaper to buy the gauges, or to have a gun shop check them out?

I checked my first M38 out - I bought it at a pawn shop. Then I bought a M39 Finn from a local FFL at pdx gunshow - he had shot it, so I didn't check it, and I've since shot it as well. What can it hurt to have it checked?

Ya, probably the prudent thing to have done. Back when I was in emergency services the most common thing I heard from people injured in some sort of accident was "I should have ____."

I suggest you go over to http://7.62x54r.net/ in order to learn more about these old rifles. They have a forum there as well. These guys are pretty hardcore collectors, so they don't like doing anything at all to the guns (ie no refinishing or rebluing or whatever) but their information is spot on.

Looked online for prices and found Rich's Gun Shop in Donald, OR charges $20 to check headspace. A set of three Oakie Headspace Gauges is $50, so I will probably go the Oakie route. (I know that if you have two rifles of a certain kind it is possible for them to multiply, so it wouldn't hurt to pay another $10 to have the gauges on hand). That 7.62x54r.net site had a lot of good info.

By the way, congrats on the new rifles!

Mosins are solid, durable rifles that are a joy to shoot. Even though my Mosin M44 cost me $89, and is about as common as hippies at Burning Man, it's still one of the rifles I own that I'd never sell/trade.

You can take it to be headspaced but you'll not get a correct result. The actual headspacing tools used were never available/manufactured for exportation. You'll get an answer that's close...but not too accurate.

Its only 3 gauges. You drop them into the chamber one after the other. Should take less than a minute.

You should also measure your firing pin penetration - the funny little tool that came with the gun will do that. Basic tutorial here - http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/wolffmosinspring/index.asp

if you have the gauges with the cutout for the extractor. Otherwise, you have to drift out the extractor (kinda tricky), then use the gauges on a naked bolt face.

Its only 3 gauges. You drop them into the chamber one after the other. Should take less than a minute.

You should also measure your firing pin penetration - the funny little tool that came with the gun will do that. Basic tutorial here - http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/wolffmosinspring/index.asp

go, no go, field are the three

you only really need one, either a no go or a field, you already have a box or case of go gauges:). only really of use when changing barrels. the bolt should not close on the no go or field gauges.

It is not just a matter of a couple of minutes,the bolt should be stripped of firing pin and extractor, cocking piece etc to prevent a false indication of true headspace. The resistance caused by these could lead you to assume you have headspace when you do not

If you fall in love with the mosin it will be worth the price of the gauges, contrary to what has been said before in this post this cartridge headspaces on the RIM ,no extractor cutout on the gauge. This rifle cocks on CLOSING, bolt must be disassembled for headspacing.

buy single gauges at brownells (Forester) don't complain about the price, get your C&R and get discounts almost everywhere

All that being said I have never seen one that would not headspace, but, that is just me. There are probably bad ones out there, but I only get serious about ones that appear unissued after being rearsenalled.

Also to consider: Are your bolts matching? If the bolts match, I personally wouldn't give it any thought. I have owned many Mosins, including EP's bolts, and non-matching bolts, and a couple that were all matching with stamped numbers. They all fired, and except for sticky bolt in one (relatively quick fix with big bore brushes), and an extractor needing adjustment on another, I have never had any issues that were gun related. I had a hard extraction once with Bulgarian light ball due to a split cartridge neck... but that ammo is sort of known for that anyway.

Ended up buying Oakie Headspace Gauges. First Mosin checked out perfectly. Haven't cleaned the second one up yet, so haven't checked it. For me the cost was worth the peace of mind (especially since my daughter wants to shoot it too) :)

Check firing pin protrusion, DO NOT TRUST PREVIOUS OWNERS.

I've heard of this being a problem twice with a MN. Round going off while chambering, prepare to lose something attached to your hand and/or face.

Be safe, enjoy the rifle!

I believe mosy of these guns were rearsenaled for use in the event of ww3. my thought is the russians took the time to shellac, pack and make the weapons ready in the event they were again needed. I would guess they would headspace them as part of this procedure. Also being that America is the land of lawsuits if I were a importer or a retaier (big 5) I would definitely check each rifle before I sold them. With that said I own 5 of then, none were checked and they all shoot great. However I will not suggest you do the same less something happen and I find my self being sued

That tool you get with them makes checking the firing pin pretty darned easy. Interesting thought about being "rearsenaled for WW3." That might explain why they look so good.

I just bought an M91/30 from Century International Imports. What concerns me is that it has two SNs. Two on the receiver and one on both the bolt and bayonet. One of the SNs looks cut in by hand on the receiver, bolt, and bayonet.

Is this a mismatched bolt?