Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question for Dish Network/Direct TV subscribers;

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bumbazine, May 2, 2012.

1. bumbazine

bumbazine Newberg, OR Member

How is your reception during wet weather?

We are going to have to switch our TV to another company and are considering going to a satellite dish, but don't want to get locked into a contract if reception is going to be crappy.
    Anything you would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks muchly.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I use to live with one of my best friends and we had Dish. We never had a problem with normal Willamette valley rain, even heavy rain was okay. If it snowed and the dish got covered we lost reception or once in some really heavy hail. If you've got a tight sight line through trees and then it get windy, that can cause problems as well.

3. bumbazine

bumbazine Newberg, OR Member

Thank you Diesel Scout. Trees won't be a problem. Any that might get in the way are on our property so we can prune as needed.

4. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

The only time I've ever had trouble with either Dish or Direct is during heavy snow or ice- well with reception anyway...

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I have had Directv since about the time they came out. Never had any real problems with them. I have set up many dishes for myself and friends. I even had one on an RV for a while that would get set up and taken down quite often.

Snow can be an issue if you let it build up.

I know there are some slight programing difference so you might look into that. I prefer Directv over Dish but that might just be because it is what I have always had. I have been places and used Dish quite a bit.

If you get set up and you find it does not work for you then you can get out of the contract. Their side of it is providing you useable service.

6. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

No problem with rain or wind, just snow and ice. Invest in a dish heater and all will be okey dokey.

7. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

Directv here also.

Like others have said, ONLY issue is snow and or Ice...

Stay Safe.

Sabertooth and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Dish SUCKS...... Careful..... It sucks were I live... Rain, leaves, wind, snow....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

9. yskippy

yskippy Tigard Life Member Lifetime Supporter

I will echo what others have said about DirecTV. I've had service with them for about 10 years.. No issues except for snow. Picture quality is outstanding and the whole home DVR setup is great.

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I installed DirecTv 15 years ago. It wasn't difficult to set up and it works well. I'd hate to have to go back with a cable company again.

I had to shoot the signal between the tops of some trees and now that the trees have grown I'll lose the signal for short periods during heavy rain storms. I'll eventually have to move the dish to the shop 250' away and use a signal booster because of the distance.

The original RCA receiver started freezing on me last year so I called Directv and asked about the prices/features of a replacement, she said 'wait a minute you've been with us a long time' and they shipped a new receiver to me free of charge. :thumbup:

11. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I have no issues with Dish, and I live on 73 acres, with 60 in reprod. No issues with rain, wind, snow...whatever. But, the 5 acres south of the house is in hay, so there are NO trees in view.

Now, if CenturyTel could only provide internet that good, I'd be happy

Sabertooth and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Dish Network...3 Sats

Direct TV........5 Sats

If it gets too cloudy here, I lose Dish! And I have two dishes on the roof! One specifically for Sat 129, and I lose it if there is heavy fog!!

13. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

As a Direct TV subscriber for ten years or so, I'll just echo the sentiments about no issues with rain or wind and only snow/hail/ice if allowed to build up.

14. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Southern Oregon Member

I've had both just recently since I just moved up here. With dishnetwork with heavy rain it would get knocked off and take a few minutes to reconnect. With Direct it has rained heavy here several times and I only lost reception for a few seconds.

15. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

what are you guys paying on average a month ? seems like a good savings over comcast

16. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

I have had DirecTV for many years and also have not had any problems. Actually have pretty good customer service. I've had a couple of receiver issues and they have taken care of and offered me some freebies for my trouble.
    I also take a receiver from the house in the motorhome when we go and have had great luck with setting it up and still getting great reception.

As for costs, it can be all over the board. We don't watch that many movies so don't have any of the premium movie channels. It still amazes me how we do have something like 150 channels and there are still times I can't find anything I want to watch..... :) :( Now that I think about it if I elimnate the buying channels and the religious channels I probably get about 27 channels :) :) :) but that's the same no matter who you use.

17. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

I'll have to check my bill tonight, but we changed from Direct to Dish because it was far cheaper than Direct or Comcast- I think we're around $70/month with two HD receivers, DVR, and the "Top 250" programming and no premium channels

18. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

We have Charter cable for TV and internet. Reason is that the internet is so fast - 30 Mbps. I don't even know how many channels we get. They call it "All local channels & All top-rated networks." We don't want or get "premium channels." The cost is $115 per month.

19. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

We have Dish Network. Normal overcast Willamette Valley weather doesn't cause any reception problems. The only time we have ever had reception problems (and this has been a maybe once or twice year occurence and for a very short time) is if we get REALLY THICK cloud cover or if we get a lot of wet snow that ends up covering the Dish. If the snow is the cause it is usually fixed by just going out with a broom and brushing off the Dish.

Gunner3456 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I agree with this. When we first decided to move away from Cable we checked both Dish Network and Direct TV and Dish Network was far less expensive for similar packages. I don't remember now exactly how much less it was, but it was significant enough at the time that it was a no brainer to do with Dish.

bikejunkie and (deleted member) like this.