JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have a new to me 550 and have just finished loading my first 250 rounds, what a joy this machine is!

My question is this:

Is there some ninja way to empty the primer magazine without pulling the assembly off the press?

If there were only a few I guess you could cycle the press and pick up the primer off the seating punch with forceps but what if there are say 50?

I suggest you call Dillon at: (800) 223-4570 and ask them. I doubt any of us have a better idea than those guys. Even though you may not have originally purchased that press, the guys at Dillon will still help you.

Cant you just unscrew the cap off the primer housing and pull the primer tube out that holds the primers.

I've never done this because I always just load till I'm out of primers, but it seems like it could be done.

Edit: I just did it to my 550 and pulled the entire tube of primers out. Yep. Done deal, there is your ninja method. Now - I did have some primers fall out of the tube, so it's not a perfect system.

Last Edited:
Cant you just unscrew the cap off the primer housing and pull the primer tube out that holds the primers.

I've never done this because I always just load till I'm out of primers, but it seems like it could be done.

Edit: I just did it to my 550 and pulled the entire tube of primers out. Yep. Done deal, there is your ninja method. Now - I did have some primers fall out of the tube, so it's not a perfect system.
I think you got lucky there, a primer stuck to prevent the full dump, which is what happened to me when I tried that on my 650.

I think you got lucky there, a primer stuck to prevent the full dump, which is what happened to me when I tried that on my 650.

Haha! It fully dumped, but I only had two in so I guess the OP would have to very carefully insert some type of shim at the bottom of the tube before pulling it out, however, if he was simply trying to "get them out" that worked! ;)

I always just put in how many I need, fill up the primer tubes with how many primers I need and just put that in. I've never actually needed to remove more than 1 or 2 primers from the machine.

I have tried lifting the tube out and dumped a bunch of primers. Now I just try to use up all the primers. If I must remove them, I unbolt the mechanism, tip it on it's side and then dump the primers in a paper cup. Is there a better way? I don't know but these two methods work well enough for me.

Most of you guys won't like my method; it's just how I do it. I don't use the priming system at all. I size and decap the brass, wet tumble, then prime using an RCBS hand priming tool.

I know that doesn't work for everyone, as it slows down the process, but for me it's a more precise and controlled process.

I've tried pulling the internal tube out as well and primers go everywhere...
Best method I've found, and thankfully I don't have to use it much, is to pull the two bolts from under the frame that hold the primer assembly, remove assembly in one piece as best you can and turn upside down over a primer tray etc. It's slightly faster than pulling the primer tube and gathering all misc primers.

Most of you guys won't like my method; it's just how I do it. I don't use the priming system at all. I size and decap the brass, wet tumble, then prime using an RCBS hand priming tool.

I know that doesn't work for everyone, as it slows down the process, but for me it's a more precise and controlled process.

I just prime before dillon, that system looks like PITA so I just never use it regardless of convenience. But that's just me.

Yup, I got tired of having shavings from the primer pocket block the cup, etc. Then I had a batch that the primers didn't seat all the way because the pockets needed to be cleaned. When the hammer fell on the round, it pushed the primer in and many didn't go boom. So now every once in a blue moon I clean the pockets on a drill press and mounted primer brush, then I prime brass while sitting in my easy chair watching TV. I get a chance to finger check and visual check all the primer seating prior to dropping powder, etc... cuz it's too late to have one sticking out of a loaded round and then asking if I should seat it harder, or use the bullet puller. Prevention, eh...

The only issue I ever have with mine is an occasional primer on its side, and I can feel the difference. And that's like 1 in 500.
Agreed The only time I've had primer issues on my 650 was with unswaged military brass.
Swaging is my least favorite part about reloading. In fact I would punish criminals by making them swage brass cases.
I ended up buying a 1050 just to get out of hand swaging my brass. Haven't had a primer feed issue since.

Changing primer size? My easy solution...

nIUC2rV.jpg

Changing primer size? My easy solution...

View attachment 600174

My setup/solution looks very similar but I don't have as many extra tool heads.

For all of you that think the primer system is so terrible....... I think you might be over thinking it a little. To me, that is like saying I got a riding lawn mower but I decided to push it anyway.

I want to this to be as clear as possible so I am going to spell it out...... I am joking. Each their own. If it works for you, it is perfect. ;):D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top