JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently received this gun as an early birthday gift from my family. Now my brother who is the Marines wants to send me bulk ammo for it, but I have heard from a few people that the military casings are just a tad bit wider and wouldn't work in my gun since it is bolt action. Is this true? And if so, is there any way without harming the gun and making it so I cant use store bought in it safely to use both?

7.62 Nato is the same thing as 308Win.
CAN the brass be just a wee bit different? Yes, but so can any brass from a different brand, or lot. The dies are all the same, the load pressure is the same.

I know they are supposed to be the same thing. The brass is what I meant by casing and that is the part I was told by W.R.C.C. that would not work well, or at least without possibly damaging the gun.

So, I went out today with a friend who had a bunch of the Nato rounds. I tried about 6 different rounds. When I went to lock the bolt in place it goes all the way towards the barrel, but when you start actually locking it in place it doesn't want to go all the way. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be having to use a hell of a lot of force to lock it in since all the other rounds I have put through it so far have been a breeze.

Please make sure, by looking at the markings on the barrel, that it is indeed a 308win rifle. 300 Savage round is VERY close in dimensions. With that said, looking at load data in reloading manuals I have, all dimensions of the 308win and 7.62x51 NATO rounds are exactly the same. Maximum Case Overall Length (C.O.L.) is 2.800 (2.6000 for 300 Savage) if those are reloads its posible the bullet is not seated deep enough.

Since this type of round headspaces on the shoulder of the case(the angled portion) and the difference in the length to the shoulder between the 300 Savage and a 308win is only 0.061" it would be possible, with force, to close the bolt on a 308win loaded into a 300Savage chamber. You could cause you and your rifle a lot of damage if you fired it though. Thats the reason I brought up the 300 Savage round .

Look at the photo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Savage

It is very dangerous to fire military ammo in a sporter rifle send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. I'm being sarcastic it should be perfectly fine but if you don't want to fire it I will :)

Please ask your brother to stop stealing USMC ammo and sending it to you.
Just because his brother is a marine does'nt mean he is stealing ammo have you looked online there is a pretty big supply or military ammo :s0155: The military does destroy perfectly good ammo as they have a constant rotation it is possible his C.O. gave him permission to take some ammo.

I stand corrected, foot in mouth. I apologize. I just couldn't figure out why it would be cheaper for him to buy and ship to you as opposed to you buying it and having it shipped to you. Yes, I know there is tons of military ammo floating about and no doubt it's mostly legitimate. Sorry for being a douchebag. Ready, fire, aim has never served me well. :)

I've never seen a properly chambered .308 that wouldn't chamber 7.62 nato rounds. If your chamber is on the tight side and the ammo is on the larger spec side of it's tolerances it's possible it will be snug but I've never seen it happen. Have a gunsmith check the head space. It's quick and easy.

The brass that W.R.C.C uses is not for bolt guns for some reason. It is the 175 grain correct? They tell you outright not to use it in a bolt gun(or should have, didn't tell me) the other grain from them should function fine.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top