JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also keep a carbine in the vehicle, and cross over into WA often enough, so I thought I better read this thread. The only thing I might add is to make sure you KNOW the definition of loaded. I was told by a semi-reliable source the loaded mags stored in the same container as the firearm fits the legal definition of a loaded weapon.

Well your "source is" 100% UNRELIABLE,

RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined.

(10) "Loaded" means:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;

(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;

(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;

(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or

(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

IN WA the magazine and gun can be in the same case in the same part of of the car. The mags can be in a mag pouch on the gun. In theory your mag could even be resting in the mag well since the law says "locked in". In theory you could have mags locked into your gun since the laws says "clips" but I am not going to be the test case for that.

Well your "source is" 100% UNRELIABLE

My source is in Oregon, speaking about Oregon. Not saying he is right, and you proved my point for me. I was simply saying KNOW the laws, don't just go by some random person's word. Unless you don't enjoy freedom and a clean criminal record:s0155:

Well your "source is" 100% UNRELIABLE,

RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined.

(10) "Loaded" means:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;

(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;

(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;

(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or

(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

IN WA the magazine and gun can be in the same case in the same part of of the car. The mags can be in a mag pouch on the gun. In theory your mag could even be resting in the mag well since the law says "locked in". In theory you could have mags locked into your gun since the laws says "clips" but I am not going to be the test case for that.

That is the "State " law.If you are hunting,you better not let the Warden catch you with the bullets,in any form,in the same compartment as the rifle or shotgun.
Another test case for you to try.

Binder: This is to keep people from hunting/shooting from their vehicle which is illegal. With a CPL I can carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle.

That's why we like the hunting legal handguns up here.

Correct. Having a loaded detachable magazine does not = a loaded firearm as long it is NOT in the firearm.

Having a loaded magazine in a firearm even if a round is not chambered IS considered loaded.

Be careful with the advice on what is legal and what is not. Just because a piece of paper says you can there is always going to be the exception to the rule and the police officer who don't give a rats arse about how you read those words.

Take our Constitution for example, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" In my way of thinking all laws governing firearms are unconstitutional, (concealed carry, back ground checks, time limit on purchase, gun registration, hunting license, etc) but would I argue this with a cop? H*LL NO! Get your concealed carry, have the fire arm on you and if asked by the officer if you are armed . . . LOL! I ain't even going there. :s0112: Just me own two worthless cents.

That is the "State " law.If you are hunting,you better not let the Warden catch you with the bullets,in any form,in the same compartment as the rifle or shotgun.
Another test case for you to try.

Why not? I have not seen a law against it. I have not seen it in any hunting pamphlet put out by WDFW.

To get in "trouble" for something or get a ticket they HAVE to site the law you are breaking. What law would they be charging you with?

Yeah I've been gunna look it up.I have heard "there was a law" to that effect on the books

Loaded Firearms in a Vehicle
It is illegal to carry, convey, transport, possess,
or control a loaded shotgun or rifle in or on any
motor vehicle. A rifle or shotgun containing shells
or cartridges in either the chamber or magazine, or
a muzzleloading firearm that is loaded and capped
or primed is considered loaded.

So you can have the ammo in the cab with the gun,but you can't have a magazine loaded?
Or does that mean the attached magazine?

So all these years,I thought it was illegal to have my shotgun shells in my shirt pocket for grouse.
Do you know how many grouse I have missed because of this?

Yeah I've been gunna look it up.I have heard "there was a law" to that effect on the books

So you can have the ammo in the cab with the gun,but you can't have a magazine loaded?
Or does that mean the attached magazine?

So all these years,I thought it was illegal to have my shotgun shells in my shirt pocket for grouse.
Do you know how many grouse I have missed because of this?

Based on the rest of "common" law it would be in a magazine attached to a gun, or a fixed magazine. I have not seen any WA laws that state a loaded detachable magazine = a loaded firearm.

Of course if some LEO wanted to be an *** he could try to charge you with it. I am sure it would be beat in court but still costs you time and $$$. Again unless you are doing something else you should not have been I cant see and LEO pushing a unclear law.

Yes and the main thing there is keeping the nose clean.Don't draw attention to yourself and they won't have to test their knowledge of the gun laws.
Actually,the gammies I have talked to wouldn't get insulted if you questioned their gun knowledge.

I think CCW handgun is enough. Having loaded Magazine and busted by cop is asking for trouble. Even law says okay, I am sure Not all the cops are aware of it.

If you really want to, Print the page from the WA state law website. And put it in the glove box, just in case.

I think CCW handgun is enough. Having loaded Magazine and busted by cop is asking for trouble. Even law says okay, I am sure Not all the cops are aware of it.

If you really want to, Print the page from the WA state law website. And put it in the glove box, just in case.

:confused: So following the law is "asking for trouble"? :confused: Is a person asking for trouble by driving 55mph in a 55mph zone? Is a person asking for trouble carrying a CCW with a permit? Is a person asking for trouble for following any other law?

I dont know about you but on the few "range" days (I have my own range) I have dozens of loaded mags in my rig for the gun we plan on shooting that day. I have never thought twice about it "asking for trouble" since there is no law being broken. I dont plan on spending my range time loading mags, I plan on using it shooting.

If it is "asking for trouble" what law says "asking for trouble" and if there is a law against it where is the one that has the exemption for LEO or do they have to carry their detachable mags empty too?

Please provide even ONE link to were a person who was doing nothing else illegal has been charged with having loaded detachable magazines in a vehicle and what law they were charged with violating.

Why not? I have not seen a law against it. I have not seen it in any hunting pamphlet put out by WDFW.

To get in "trouble" for something or get a ticket they HAVE to site the law you are breaking. What law would they be charging you with?

Mopery on the King's Highway, failure to grovel, resisting arrest. If they really want get you they can. You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. That's why I'm never rude to cops. Oh wait - I'm never rude to anybody. Since an armed society is a polite society and I go armed I have be polite to all. :D

So basically, I could have an ar15 in the trunk with a 20 round clip loaded but not inserted into the gun.

Or you could have one of these, looked and loaded, hidden on the seat right next to you. With a CPL, of course.:s0155:
DSC01494.jpg

now in oregon for some reason you cant carry a loaded handgun or rifle , and it dosent matter if you have a chl . on a snowmobile or 4 wheeler. that seems crazy to me

Shooting from a snowmobile or 4 wheeler is still considered shooting from a motorized vehicle.
It's a hunting thing, I'm surprised you OR guys get away with a loaded rifle in a car.
I just keep my SIG556 pistol handy, and loaded... :s0155:

Shooting from a snowmobile or 4 wheeler is still considered shooting from a motorized vehicle.
It's a hunting thing, I'm surprised you OR guys get away with a loaded rifle in a car.
I just keep my SIG556 pistol handy, and loaded... :s0155:

youre just not supposed to shoot from the rig or from the road unless you have a disabled hunting permit or whatever they give them

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top