Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Quality stippling in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by FatherOfThree, Feb 13, 2015.

1. FatherOfThree

FatherOfThree United States New Member

Yes, I know I can just get a solder iron and do it myself, but I'm afraid I'd F- it up , and stippling isn't that expensive if you subtract the S&H costs. So is there anyone close to Portland who can do top quality work? I don't want my entire block stippled, mostly just the backstop, finger groove, under the trigger guard and the index finger area on both sides.

2. francqua

francqua portland, or Member

I have a friend that does this sort of thing (professionally). They live SE of Oregon City.
    take a look at : www.checkering.com
    Sherry hasn't updated her page lately...so I don't know how accurate the prices are...you can always call.
    Francqua

3. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

The nice guys out at Brimstone Gunsmithing have a pretty nice Glock package and I'm sure they'd do a good job stippling your Glock. They're a short drive over the border into WA...but I think they're worth the drive. I've handled their work on these pistols, and I was impressed. They're going to do both my carry Glocks. I've got no dog in the fight other than they've done a bit of work for me before on my 10-22 trigger (perfect) and my AR's (reliability tuning - very nice). Easy to recommend:

http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/

packerfan503 likes this.
  4. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

I was super worried to mess it up. everyone told be to do it myself. so I watched a bunch of youtube videos. I got my hands on some AR funature a buddy didn't need anymore. I play with it hear and there till I got the hang up it. Ive done all my glocks a few 870 stocks and a bunch of odds and ends. The part I like about it, Its what I want, not what the guy I'm paying likes or thinks what I want.

Edit. When you are doing something important, do it all at once. That way it all looks the same. Day to day you will change pressure and angle. You will be able to tell

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    308 likes this.
  5. DogB

DogB Portland New Member

bump

6. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

What's to bump? Watch a bunch of youtube videos and give it a go

308 likes this.
  7. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Good idea there. Sounds like what I should do as well since I don't really like paying someone elses husband to do what I can and should be able to do my self with the proper application of time, patience and knowledge.

Velzey likes this.
  8. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South USA Well-Known Member

If you have an ar15, practice on some of the plastic magazines, if you mess them up a little, no harm done to the glock.

DogB likes this.
  9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Practice makes perfect!

Stip.jpg

308 likes this.
  10. 308

If that is yours, could you elaborate a bit on the tools used to do the work? Thanks!

11. Velzey

I use a 25 watt wood burner, and an assortment of tips. The small 25 watt soldering iron also works great. The main tip that I use has about a 1/16 ball nose. A pointy tip works better when you get closer to the edges. The main thing is don't hold it to long, count off seconds!!! Always tape off your outline!

308 and madmax like this.
  12. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

Stipling=easy. Don't over think it! Test an area like a magazine for temp setting.
    As noted..a wood burning or solder iron is ideal as long as temps can be controlled. If a wood burner is used....you can make your own tips from nails, screws, etc.

13. Velzey

I would practice allot before you actually do it yourself, so you don't end up with something like this.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

308 likes this.
  14. 2A2Dend

Hallucinogens at work!! :eek: ROFLMAO

Velzey likes this.
  15. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

I've had nightmares that look better than that s#!t. Way to destroy a nice firearm.....wow.

16. 308

That G19 looks like chicken pox :eek:

17. 2A2Dend

LOL!!

Stipling anything is easier than one thinks. The tips that make the pattern(s) is where the creativity in design sprouts. Dremel tool bits, dentist drill bits, leather tools, brass rod, brass flat stock and a little drilling applied to it, a metal rod with filed cross-hatch, 1/4" hex screwdriver tips..then silver soldered to a rod that fits the wood burning tool or solder iron. If you can draw, you can stiple. PRACTICE

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016