JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen those posted. Guess I've never had an issue with the plastic ones from RCBS. Then again, I don't leave powder in them any longer than it takes to immediately load the cartridges. It doesn't stay in there for 12 hours, days or weeks.

My other fear is one drop, and it's shattered.

Do many people leave their powder in the hoppers for days at a time? I'm always afraid of the powder absorbing moisture from the air, or degrading. Therefore it immediately goes back into the original container.

No facebook so I can't see the link.

It would be nice for black powder use, since you're not supposed to use plastic hoppers, although that still doesn't stop me.

Like dizzy I remove all powder from the hopper as soon as I'm done reloading.

I've seen those posted. Guess I've never had an issue with the plastic ones from RCBS. Then again, I don't leave powder in them any longer than it takes to immediately load the cartridges. It doesn't stay in there for 12 hours, days or weeks.

My other fear is one drop, and it's shattered.

Do many people leave their powder in the hoppers for days at a time? I'm always afraid of the powder absorbing moisture from the air, or degrading. Therefore it immediately goes back into the original container.
My crappy RCBS thrower has a lid that just kinda sits on Top and frequently gets knocked off.
I am guilty of leaving powder in the hopper for extended times..
The Pyrex item has an aluminum top with an o-ring seal that looks pretty tight..

RCBS does throw a very accurate charge so by crappy I just mean the plastic is discolored and the lid blows..

My biggest fear generally is having a powder hopper explode, the last thing I want is one made of glass.

I usually just replace these with plastic, or in a few cases I've used some thin-wall brass tube I got from mcmaster-carr (did this when I wanted a very tall hopper).

My biggest fear generally is having a powder hopper explode, the last thing I want is one made of glass.

I usually just replace these with plastic, or in a few cases I've used some thin-wall brass tube I got from mcmaster-carr (did this when I wanted a very tall hopper).

Brass is good for black powder too, but I don't like not being able to see how much powder is left.

Brass is good for black powder too, but I don't like not being able to see how much powder is left.

The simple solution is to have a rod with a flat washer that goes through the lid and sits on top of the powder. Put a mark on the rod for "empty". You can make this easily with a few fender washers, an old cleaning rod, and a #8-32 machine screw.

Newer to reloading, what could cause the powder hopper to explode?

-asking, so I can reduce the risk of such. Thanks!

This is mostly an issue on progressive machines. It's a very extreme possibility, but theoretically could happen at any time.

In most cases, what causes it is if a primer somehow gets into the powder, and the powder-measure slide "cuts" the primer. Obviously, if you have primers in your powder, you have other problems, but this is the big one.

This is mostly an issue on progressive machines. It's a very extreme possibility, but theoretically could happen at any time.

In most cases, what causes it is if a primer somehow gets into the powder, and the powder-measure slide "cuts" the primer. Obviously, if you have primers in your powder, you have other problems, but this is the big one.

Ahh, thanks. Can't envision how a primer could get into the hopper in my shop setup, but vy good to know.

Running Hornady Lock n Load AP.

Ahh, thanks. Can't envision how a primer could get into the hopper in my shop setup, but vy good to know.

Running Hornady Lock n Load AP.

You just refilled the powder hopper, and the lid is off, while you're putting another stick of primers into the machine, the primers stick in the tube and you have to shake it, a primer from the end of the tube, or one stuck in the end comes lose and ends up in your powder flask. Alternatively, you have a bottle of powder on the table, and your primer pickup tubes get bumped and spill.

You just refilled the powder hopper, and the lid is off, while you're putting another stick of primers into the machine, the primers stick in the tube and you have to shake it, a primer from the end of the tube, or one stuck in the end comes lose and ends up in your powder flask. Alternatively, you have a bottle of powder on the table, and your primer pickup tubes get bumped and spill.

Gotcha. And thank you for the reminder to use the same proccess each and every time, before moving on to something else!

(ie put cover back on the hopper, close the powder jug lid & put back into its home etc etc)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top