JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could I make that shot , cold , without any practice...Nope
However....
I do have a Savage Model 19 / 33 NRA rifle that I would love to try it with.
And with practice...who knows...but it would be fun to do.
Andy

With a 10/22, nope no way. Not me. I only shoot my .22s at 50 yards or so and I wouldn't even begin to have a guess about holdover or drift.

Well....burn through enough ammo...and you are bound to hit something eventually... :D

I have shot at targets 200 yards away and hit 'em with both my Hawken Rifle...and 20 gauge flintlock fowler...
Often enough to know that I can do so and it's not just luck.
However...I would not shoot at a game animal at that distance...I don't practice enough at the range.

With my .22 rifles...
I shoot out to about 100 yards*....it is tough to hit a little clay bird bit at that range with iron sights.
I do it often enough to know that again it ain't luck. but.....710 yards...yikes !

It would be fun to try...but damn....lots of luck would have to be involved for me to hit that can.
Andy
* Just for fun...most shooting is around 50 odd yards.

That was a fun video, the guy actually accepted the challenge and owned his comments. I thought it was interesting that he said he could see the soda can at 750yds. Maybe he was way off on his claim but maybe he has unusual eyesight that he has made some "impossible" shots in the past.

The longest shot Ive heard of was a youtube vid of a guy who hit a ham target at 300 yds with a 22lr and it actually tore up some meat. I cant recall the video at the moment.

That was a fun video, the guy actually accepted the challenge and owned his comments. I thought it was interesting that he said he could see the soda can at 750yds. Maybe he was way off on his claim but maybe he has unusual eyesight that he has made some "impossible" shots in the past.

The longest shot Ive heard of was a youtube vid of a guy who hit a ham target at 300 yds with a 22lr and it actually tore up some meat. I cant recall the video at the moment.
I also found it really cool that that show/channel invited an internet "troll" to "come on down"… like the price is right. I don't see anyone inviting strangers to join a YouTube group to play. Maybe there have been some, but really cool to hang out with folks you follow. (not to say his comment was trolling, I didn't see the context but pretty close)

I'm likely to agree with the comments he made about the home field advantages. That was not his own rifle…

I believe.

I would assume that they sent thousands of rounds for dozens of hits back at the ol home range . Still a valid perspective
Yes….
Home field advantage…..get use to hit a specific target in specific weather conditions, with your rifle….I believe too.

Well....burn through enough ammo...and you are bound to hit something eventually... :D

I have shot at targets 200 yards away and hit 'em with both my Hawken Rifle...and 20 gauge flintlock fowler...
Often enough to know that I can do so and it's not just luck.
However...I would not shoot at a game animal at that distance...I don't practice enough at the range.

With my .22 rifles...
I shoot out to about 100 yards*....it is tough to hit a little clay bird bit at that range with iron sights.
I do it often enough to know that again it ain't luck. but.....710 yards...yikes !

It would be fun to try...but damn....lots of luck would have to be involved for me to hit that can.
Andy
* Just for fun...most shooting is around 50 odd yards.
For fun too….
Every range trip i take my 10/22 to let other barrels cool, plink on cheap and try new ammo. Every trip 50 & 100yards and most trips 200 yrd 6-14" steel disk for fun. All sub sonic …. I can see bullet travel its arching drop in good light.
That said……even without sight of bullet travel I know my hold over because I shoot the same background every time.
These guys were shooting into a pretty dull flat landscape… unless that mountain was in view of hold over.

Could I make that shot , cold , without any practice...Nope
However....
I do have a Savage Model 19 / 33 NRA rifle that I would love to try it with.
And with practice...who knows...but it would be fun to do.
Andy
That looks like a sweet classic. "Pre 1933"? Would you ever sell it? Haha

@NobullSKS
Thanks...it is a neat rifle for sure..and shoots well to boot.

The "33" in the model number....is not a official Savage name....
Savage just called the model 19 or Model 19 NRA depending on the stock , barrel profile and sight styles....

"33" is used by collectors to refer to the changes made in the rifle from 1933 to the end of production...1946.
A "speed lock "....improved stock...better sights...a thicker barrel and re-designed magazine...were done from '33 onwards.
And nope not for sale....:D
Andy

Last Edited:
A hit at 700 plus yards would be luck at best. With 100'+ of drop and variable wind, that shot ain't happening with a iron sighted 22lr. I think the guys memory of his youth is a bit clouded.

I also found it really cool that that show/channel invited an internet "troll" to "come on down"… like the price is right. I don't see anyone inviting strangers to join a YouTube group to play. Maybe there have been some, but really cool to hang out with folks you follow. (not to say his comment was trolling, I didn't see the context but pretty close)

I'm likely to agree with the comments he made about the home field advantages. That was not his own rifle…
Some of the channels I follow have fans on from time to time. It's always fun to watch.

I can hit out to 100 yards using a 10/22 with tech sights (peep and barleycorn). I tried 200 yards and not one (1) bullet hit the paper.. They all just vanished! Lol. Maybe it's easier with a scope.

700 yards - no way. That's luck. Or volume.

300 Yards is about the best I ever got with a .22, and that was with both the Winny 52 and the Anschutz 64, 700+ yards, NOPE, though those little 50 count boxes always had the warning on the side that told me they could travel over a mile! I bet the Anschutz could if I were really on my game, but I don't thing i'm good enough, still, might be fun to try!

Couple of assumptions. That old piece of equipment probably had dozens of cans stacked on it shoulder to shoulder. There's your windage. I can't imagine someone running out to reset targets very often at that distance, even with a quad. The chance of target area being naturally downhill would take care of some holdover. Hits would happen, sparingly. But, we all tend to remember the past with rose colored glasses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top