JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wife got her purse stolen out of her unlocked vehicle while dropping off our grandson at First Church of the Nazarene daycare off Market St. in Salem this morning just before 8:00 AM. She said that she was out of sight of the car for no more than 1 minute and other parents/grandparents dropping off their little ones at the same time. She usually locks her vehicle but was distracted today.
We started cancelling debit cards and credit cards 15 minutes after we were certain the purse was stolen and there were already 2 charges at Fred Meyer and 1 attempt with her credit union debit/credit card, Chase bank refunded the 2 Fred Meyer charges and we cancelled the cards. Of course her smart phone was in her purse as well as her kindle paperwhite reader. Replaced the phone and Verizon said that they have seen an uptick of people replacing stolen phones this last week.
Anyhow, let this be a reminder to be aware of our surroundings, especially with all of the new people in town for the eclipse gathering.

This is how it has always been in CA. Take your eyes off something only for a few seconds and it is gone. I went down to help a relative move. I carried a big chair out and set it on the sidewalk. She came running out to tell me not to leave it there because somebody will steal it.

This is how it has always been in CA. Take your eyes off something only for a few seconds and it is gone. I went down to help a relative move. I carried a big chair out and set it on the sidewalk. She came running out to tell me not to leave it there because somebody will steal it.
my co worker drove his escalade to california to visit his dying grandmother in the hospital, came out to grab something from it and it was gone. never found again.

It was fairly quick and easy to cancel my wife's debit and credit cards, other things will be a bit of a hassle, like replacing her ODL and OR/UT conceal carry licenses, not bad really but a bit more than a phone call. I keep good records for personal information, including account numbers, phone numbers, website addresses, etc., and I encourage anyone who doesn't keep a list of all important information to consider taking the time to write all of your account numbers, phone numbers, credit card information in a Excel spreadsheet or whatever works for you. I also think is a good practice to have everything on a couple of USB drives and maybe keep one backup in a relative's or trusted friend's safe.
Replacing things that I have already paid for once is more irritating than having to cancel credit/debit cards. Buying a unlocked Motorola phone was $230.00 plus $10.00 to activate and install new sim card. The Kindle Paperwhite will run $140.00 and cases for the phone and kindle will be another $65.00. I don't even want to know how much to replace a woman's leather purse, maybe get by for $150.00? So after the license replacement fees and the other incidentals basically a $600.00 hard lesson learned.

I leave nothing in my car in plain view. I also am vigilant about locking our cars even when in our locked garage! I HATE thieves almost as much as I HATE those that desire to disarm us citizens! Sorry you had to go through this, all the above precautions should NOT be necessary.

A few yrs ago my niece got into a fender bender at an intersection in Portland. She got of the car to make sure the other driver was OK and left her car door open. Yep! Nobody saw anything of course. :mad:

Same thing happened to my daughter while dropping my grandson off at the daycare. The thief busted the driver's door window and snatched her purse sitting behind the passenger seat. She was pretty upset, so I went down there. The LEO said the bubblegummers will watch to see a female leave the vehicle without a purse and quickly move in. Daycares are a favorite target. They victimize one location, and move on to another. Of course there were no external security cams, just internal. She learned a tough life lesson.

I have gotten so anal about locking up my pickup I have managed to lock myself out of it 5 times now. I lock the truck when I drive across the lot at work from where I park the dump truck I drive to the shop where I get out and drop off my time card. And the ONLY people that have access to the area are the guys I work with.

Same thing happened to my daughter while dropping my grandson off at the daycare. The thief busted the driver's door window and snatched her purse sitting behind the passenger seat. She was pretty upset, so I went down there. The LEO said the bubblegummers will watch to see a female leave the vehicle without a purse and quickly move in. Daycares are a favorite target. They victimize one location, and move on to another. Of course there were no external security cams, just internal. She learned a tough life lesson.
Day care spots are notorious for car Theft and purse snatching because they know most of the time people are in a hurry lots of time leave car running or leave computers .purse and other stuff in unlocked car ONLY GOING IN AND OUT ONLY BE A MIN THEY ONLY NEED 20 SECOND 'S

Thieves only need 30secs.

They should all burn.

We need old school vigilante squads

Or tougher punishments:

The World's Most Barbaric Punishments

After handing out a few of those punishments, word would definitely get around. I'd bet that crime would decrease within the first 6 months if any of these were ever adopted here in the U.S.

I remember being in Saudi Arabia and Turkey. I definitely did NOT want to even be accused of theft!

I hate thieves and liars! Damn them all !

BTW, sorry it happened.:(

Last Edited:
Not bagging on you or your wife here, but you / she needs to work on her situational awareness skills. Whomever did that had to be in close proximity to her at the time she dropped the boy off, and was watching her, had been watching others and took the first opportunity they saw. These smash and grabs happen all the time anymore, virtually no chance of getting anything back.

At least is was petty theft and not a car jacking or take over of some kind. I just assume anymore that no matter where I am at, that some son of a b8tch is watching and waiting to commit a crime.

I about lost my mind when I had to be in downtown Seattle and leave my S&W 40 in the hotel room to go to a concert. I felt helpless with out a weapon of any kind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top